Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2006, 12:24 pm

Hello.
Is there any toothbrushes which you don't get any sensitivity against because I really want to brush my teeth myself. But don't go on the costly side I know a sonic toothbrush may work 4 me but they're too expensive. Any sugestions. I've got a toothbrush I'll tollerate my mum doing them but not myself.
I'll be grateful for any advice.
Thanks

Stop talking trash

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2006, 2:21 pm

I don't understand. Why is it different if your mother does it than if you do it?

moomin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2006, 5:50 pm

i think a sonic one might annoy you anyway i know that when i've held one that the vibrations feel horrible. Also the normal rotating brushes also vibrate quite strongly..again a problem if you have sensory issues(i find those type make my teeth feel like they are being wobbled!)
just a small headed medium toothbrush is probably the best. Though colgate have a new brush called the pulsar which you might like..they have demo models in most Boots chemists at the moment.

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2006, 8:37 pm

i hate electric toothbrushes there nasty!!
started brushin my own teeth when i was about 9 or so

if u wat to learn how to do it try holding ontop of ur mums hand as she does it .

obviously the toothbrush itself isnt the problem if you allow with mum to do it for you

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2006, 11:42 am

Or you could try a babys toothbrush, there smaller and softer. what you could do is get used to the baby one first and go to an adult one later over a period of time. :D

ashkelon
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2006, 3:27 pm

Yes, try one of the small headed, soft, kid's toothbrushes. I'm an adult with a small mouth and normal-sized, hard, brushes are terrible.

I do like the Colgate battery one with the head that vibrates (doesn't rotate, just goes back and forth).

Toothpaste is what really gets me. Why does it have to burn and taste so horrible? Very hard to brush when you know it's going to burn. I used the colgate lemon ice one, and it's not too bad.

moomin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2006, 5:04 pm

colgate herbal and colgate sensitive are both mild flavoured toothpastes and ones i personally use as i hate strong toothpaste(and food, but tha's another story!!)

you should never use hard toothbrushes anyway and soft heads can be too soft and not remove plaque very well.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 6:04 am

Hale, it's different because your father/mother can force you to do it, rather than finding the self-motivation to get past the sensitivity. Like treating my hair for it's dandruff, it's hard to find the self-determination/motivation to do it, but it's a lot bloody easier for my mum to do it, even though I'll scream and cry about it while she does it.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 8:45 am

I just happen to have a dental appointment tomorrow afternoon I will have to ask him about "autistic friendly toothbrushes".
I don't know he might laugh as me. :lol:

voss749
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2006, 11:18 pm

I have one of those sonicare ones...oddly enough if the vibration is fast enough it seems to be less
of a problem epecially with its soft bristles. It also is nice because you put the toothpaste inside
the brush and squeeze what you need rather than on it.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2006, 9:13 am

I had to change toothpaste to stop my teeth being sensitive.

The tooth brush didn't make much difference - ones with smaller heads make it easier to reach the bits at the back. And I find that you get used to the pressure of the brush itself eventually. Start with the softest brush and just be persistant.

Incidentally I love electric cordless toothbrushes. Took a bit of getting used to - like remembering to put the tooth brush in mouth before turn it on or tooth paste goes everywhere. Each to their own I suppose. My dentist said I was doing a good job.

I don't think there is any point asking for an "aspie" tooth brush. As for one that has qualities you like ie soft, gentle, small brush end or whatever you think will work. Ask about sensitive teeth too if it is relevant (does eating icecream hurt?)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2006, 1:08 pm

danlo wrote:
Hale, it's different because your father/mother can force you to do it, rather than finding the self-motivation to get past the sensitivity. Like treating my hair for it's dandruff, it's hard to find the self-determination/motivation to do it, but it's a lot bloody easier for my mum to do it, even though I'll scream and cry about it while she does it.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. :)