Why poor people fat, rich people thin?

Page 4 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:09 am

I cant get mine to be very big for some reason.

Taking a break.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:19 am

Perhaps because the signature fits in the minimum size frame :shrug:

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:23 am

Maybe. I do have a lot to say in my signature.

Taking a break.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:26 am

Either that - or according to the thread - you are too rich.

If the latter is true, I can easily help you with such an issue.

Then your post can be fat and important like the rest of us. :lol:

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:27 am

I do not like when my chocolate is too rich.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:46 am

My only wish is to be helpful, so send all your chocolate to me :P

(for proper testing of course)

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:49 am

No, Im poor, and 10kg curvier than a few years ago.

Taking a break.

Alphawolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2016, 5:12 pm

Cheap heavily processed foods are loaded with crap that makes weight gain almost impossible to avoid.

Healthy food that aids in building stong lean body tissue is also expensive.

Poor people often are forced into making poor food choices, Good Healthy food takes time to cook. When you are working two minium wage jobs you have very little time. So McDonalds or 60% \ 40% Ground beef with Mac & Cheese is what is for dinner if it is a good day. Also if you are poor you likely live in a food desert where the places that sell quality healthy foods are often few and far away.

When I lived on SSI and SSDI living on $500 a month I weighed 220 pounds. Now that I am living very well making 8 times a much I can afford healthy food and have time to excerize as such I weigh 160 pounds now. Oh there are fat rich people but they are fat by choice. Good food is a luxury.

Rich people can afford the one thing poor people can't. Rich people take for granted those simple things like easy access to abundant healthy food. The education to be effective advocates, in managing of our health and access to quality healthcare in the event things go wrong is again something only the rich can take for granted. Health is a Luxury and just like most luxuries poor people often can't afford it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 12:16 pm

I think people in developed countries can be fat or thin no matter what their wealth is.

When I was a kid my mom always made sure we had fruits and vegetables to snack on and treats like cookies or candy were only once in a while. But I got fat anyway! I seem to have been born that way. Of course, I hated most physical activity, especially in the winter where it was cold and bare outside and there was nothing to do, and I wanted to do things alone instead of hanging around the other kids. In the summer I spent a lot more time outdoors and went swimming a lot, but I was still fat. Unless I resort to an eating disorder I will probably never lose weight. :(

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 6:55 am

League_Girl wrote:
Health food is expensive and poor people can't afford to eat healthy. So they have to eat processed food and unhealthy pasta and fruit dipped in syrup, and TV dinners.

But there are grocery stores out there that have inexpensive prices and my husband and I go to one where we can buy good food. I haven't had TV dinners in years.

TV dinners are cheap??? I don't know where you're shopping but when I see them next to the frozen brown rice or vegetables that I get every now and then they seem to be very high.

Alphawolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2016, 7:22 am

Old fashioned Swanson TV dinners were cheap loaded with salt and not very good if memory serves. The fried chicken was bathed in salt so much it would make your mouth hurt. The salt was effectively brine. Today what passes for TV dinners are these upscale things from Stoffers that can cost a small fortune. Also price is relative. When I lived on SSI and SSDI in my Section 8 house on a $550 a month budget $6 for one meal was way too expensive. Now that I live on 8 times $550 amount a month $12 for dinner is a bargain.

It is true that good quality food costs much more then cheap highly processed foods. The other reason is that many of the poorest people live in food deserts places where fresh food either is not sold at all or fresh food is crazy expensive. I lived in the ghetto where places like Fresh Foods and Trader Joe's would never open up shop. If you wanted fresh food you had to venture across town to the upscale areas. Note I did not say "White Areas" because black people with money shopped there too.

Being on disability I had time to trek over to where the fresh cheap food was. However for a poor person with kids and a job they don't have all day to go across town to buy a quality healthy dinner. A poor mom in a rush to feed her family has to choose from pasta, canned foods rich in salt and low in healthy content. Sometimes McDonalds food is what is for dinner not because it is good or cheap but because it is fast. McDonalds food is just one step above garbage health wise but poor people with kids and a low paying job have no alternative.

Finally to stay healthy I can afford to go to the doctor whenever I am sick. I have great sick benefits and when I am ick my time off is paid. Poor people lose money they can ill afford when sick enough to need time off to see a doctor. There are some diseases that make you gain water weight like high blood pressure. If you live in the ghetto the drug gangs, thugs and criminals shooting or hurting almost everything that moves keeps you and your family from engaging in healthey outdoor activities like jogging, walking and playing sports.

It is not just one thing but a constellation of issues that one faces when in abject poverty that make the poor fat. I live well now and at 5 feet 8 inches tall I weigh just 156 pounds. My blood pressure is low and I take frequent walks around my relatively safe community to stay in shape. 24 years ago I lived in a section 8 apartment in the middle of a high crime area food dessert. Going outside to run, jog, walk or play meant risking being shot by some hopped up crackhead or heroin freak. To survive you stayed in your home with the shades drawn playing your video games. You ate bad unhealthy food, you prayed and were thankful to be alive. You only saw the doctor if it was an emergency and what little medical care you got just kept you alive it did not address obesity or other such issues. Having a doctor that helped you address obesity issues was considered a luxury.

If you are poor and thin then most often it is because; you know well the crack pipe, the meth pipe or the heroin needle. In the final analysis being thin costs money in the form of dope or doctors visit. The poor who don't abuse drugs are more likely to be fat for all the reasons I shared. I speak from years of painful experience. I was poor for 15 years before I got the good job that has made me much better off materially.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2016, 9:53 am

Trump is rich and portly.

Alphawolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2016, 10:07 am

Trump is also very much crazy!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 7:38 am

Rich people are more likely to be thin because it is a status issue, especially among women. They know that fitting into size 4 clothes allows them to wear the latest fashions--top designers usually don't provide clothes for big women.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 12:02 pm

Diet, exercise, lifestyle, stress etc.

Rich people eat high quality nutritious food including plenty of protein and veggies. Poor people tend to eat a high quantity of inexpensive food, like grains and starches. I've served meals to both classes at various restaurant jobs over the years ranging from fast food to golf and country clubs.

Rich people tend to exercise more for health benefits vs. poor people. Yes, manual labour is exercise, but you'll find more people out running in rich neighbourhoods than poor. I've seen both. Rich people probably sleep a little better, too, keeping them thin and trim.

Rich people have different stresses, but not typically the survival kind that would make their body store food energy as fat just in case they don't get enough to eat.

Being fit and eating a healthy balanced diet while keeping up with exercise keeps your brain functioning better, too, so rich people keep themselves in a state where they can capitalize on opportunities they see to make more money. I was out of shape and poor 5 years ago. I'm in shape, eat MUCH better, do more exercise, and have some money accumulating now. You are what you eat. Eat what rich people eat and you slowly but surely become more like them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 10:25 pm

poor people generally cannot afford rich people food. :|