Most memorable/worst social moment for you

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 10:46 am

I used to do lots of socially stupid stuff as a kid. Actually still now.

Probably the funniest was this:

I was drinking at a bar with my good gay guy friend. I remember looking over at him at one point and thinking "You know, I really love you." I had this feeling of wanting to hug him or kiss him but instead I slapped him in the face! Hahaha! He got all bitchy on me and said "Don't you EVER do that again." :lol:

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 10:54 am

Getting ready a nice speech for speech class after three weeks, I got up infront of the full class room. I got through about five sentences badly, looking like an insecure person, and my mind went completly blank. My fears were kicking in at the wrong moment, and makeing it impossible to focus.

I then had no choice but to tell the whole room "Sorry, I.. I can't do this right now." :wall: Then I made my way out into the hall and to the bathroom to calm down for a few minutes. I dropped the class a short time later. ugh.. Not the worst treatment I had, but I did feel pathetic. Telling myself the trueth about how I couldn't help it, didn't make me feel much better. One should never force themselves into unready places, for sure!

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 11:35 am

I've got a few. Probably the one that most affected me, and potentially altered the whole course of my life, was telling one of my tutors at university that I'd seen the devil playing fiddle outside the library. She decided I was mad, and refused to give me an academic reference, with the result that the course of my life was irrevocably altered.

As it happens she was right, but medical advances could have changed that, if someone had only helped me way back then.

Never mind.

CocoRock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2010, 1:07 pm

I've had a few awkward encounters with charity collectors in the high street - that is, the sort that want you to sign up, (a.k.a. charity muggers). Here's two tales...

Once, I was approached by a charity collector when I geninuely needed to go to the toilet quite a lot. I had been heading towards a shopping centre to use the bathroom. I told him I was really bursting to go to the toilet. He said he'd let me off then. Perhaps ironically, they were collecting for the NAS that day.

Another time, when I saw they were approaching, I ran. And they yelled out, 'Run Forest!' D'oh!

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 1:40 pm

CocoRock wrote:
I've had a few awkward encounters with charity collectors in the high street - that is, the sort that want you to sign up, (a.k.a. charity muggers). Here's two tales...

Once, I was approached by a charity collector when I geninuely needed to go to the toilet quite a lot. I had been heading towards a shopping centre to use the bathroom. I told him I was really bursting to go to the toilet. He said he'd let me off then. Perhaps ironically, they were collecting for the NAS that day.

Another time, when I saw they were approaching, I ran. And they yelled out, 'Run Forest!' D'oh!

One winter I was walking with my friend who had a terible stutter these two young guys were handing out flyers for some bar or something equally useless I said no thank you and they said cool your loss but my friend said no thank you they caught on to his stutter and they yelled stuff like fa-fa-fa-uk ya-ya-ya-u then started laughing at him. He was pissed, so we went back to his car so he got a 5 gallon bucket and we walked around we could not find a building with an outside water spigot so he made me go into a resteraunt to see if they would fill the bucket with water for me and I was suprised that they did. He threw the bucket of water on the one who made fun of his stutter while his partner laughed hystericly at him I hope the guy froze to death.

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2010, 1:45 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
Getting ready a nice speech for speech class after three weeks, I got up infront of the full class room. I got through about five sentences badly, looking like an insecure person, and my mind went completly blank. My fears were kicking in at the wrong moment, and makeing it impossible to focus.

I then had no choice but to tell the whole room "Sorry, I.. I can't do this right now." :wall: Then I made my way out into the hall and to the bathroom to calm down for a few minutes. I dropped the class a short time later. ugh.. Not the worst treatment I had, but I did feel pathetic. Telling myself the trueth about how I couldn't help it, didn't make me feel much better. One should never force themselves into unready places, for sure!

I've done this many times -- still do. I'll work on something for ages and then my anxeity will happen right at the worst possible time. Honestly, it makes me seem as though I haven't prepared and that's the worst part of it!

Most of my worst memories have to do with me as a child generally getting worked up over things nobody else seemed to and crying in the middle of a classroom for a reason that nobody else seemed to understand. It was always brought down to the idea that I was just an emotional person -- which is not the case in the least.

I do remember one time getting shoved into a locker by some other kids (I don't remember why, though I can assume it was me being naive and going along with them until I realized what they were doing). I ended up crying and banging on the insdie of the locker until another teacher found me. Nobody did anything and I was just ushered back to class, still crying. The kids who had done this just laughed and made fun of me for it later. My teacher got mad at me for being late for class...

elaraith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2010, 2:18 pm

I've got another one for you guys.

I was in grade 9, sitting in math class. I wasn't feeling good (fever was breaking out, was beginning to feel hot and dizzy). The teacher was explaining something to the class, then asked the class if they understood, and everyone said yes except me (I was looking away, daydreaming or something). The teacher then asked if I understood, I paused for a minute trying to find an answer (she was staring at me with an eyebrow raised at this point, the whole class was looking at me too), I was feeling the anxiety and blurted out "NO", then said that I wasn't feeling well and started crying while walking out of the class with my head down.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:34 pm

This didn't start out to be a "social moment" but it ended up one...

I don't remember how old I was, but this occurred while I was in elementary school. I was probably about 10 or 11. If I was older, I'd have to say I was remarkably clueless (which is entirely possible)

A girl, the same age as myself, lived across the street. My brother and I were friends with her and would play together frequently. Being that she was a girl and I was a boy, it seemed that the next logical step was that we should have sex. (Maybe I was precocious, maybe I was just remarkably stupid.) Anyway, I cooked up a plan whereby she would happily fall into my arms and we would have sex in the garage. I told her to wait outside the door and, inside, I pulled down my shorts and then told her to come inside.

Well, things didn't work out quite as I had planned. Instead of the aforementioned scenario, she ran to tell my older brother about it. Now this was bad enough, but then my brother demanded that I re-enact the situation or else he would tell my parents. So the situation was re-enacted for his benefit and of course the girl played along.

For over 20 years I had an intense dread of revealing this horribly embarrassing moment. What was even more disturbing was when I discovered that one of my best friends in college was the girl's best friend in high school. I was certain that this secret would get out and I would be humiliated and ostracized. I finally found the courage to tell people and I wasn't laughed at too much. I had thought that this incident had been the reason I had never been able to form close relationships. Probably not.

Anyway, I've had a few other humiliating experiences, but nothing even close to this one.

hippo7578
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2010, 7:27 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:

Your experience takes me back to my music degree where part of the course involved conducting. I had never done anything like that before and had no desire to. Standing in front of an orchestra and leading them when I found it difficult enough to leave my room most days was just horrendous. I ended up saying I had a migraine but the tutor didn't want me to leave, said "just have a go". I ended up walking out of the hall in front of everyone on my course and went into hiding for a while. An over-reaction to most but I was about to have a full blown anxiety attack. I ended up leaving the course at the end of my 2nd year due to depression and various other problems. I felt like such a failure in so many ways but I loved and love music to this day and wish I could have seen things through. Just don't make me conduct!

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 12:21 am

Oh, I remember one now.

In 11th grade I had just started at public high school and I had a class with a teacher who was entirely unhelpful. I asked for help one day and she said "I don't have time to help you, I have a class full of students!" I couldn't keep up and I slowly went into a meltdown (I didn't know what was going on with me at the time). The kid next to me wouldn't even look at me, it's like he wouldn't acknowledge that I was even there (even though I was crying and stuff). She told me if I was going to behave that way to go sit in the hall. She came out a few minutes later and started lecturing me saying that she was NOT being a B***h, that she knew what it was like to have someone be a b***h to you and she wasn't being one (I never said she was being one....?). I didn't calm down so I stayed outside. I found a door to get outside of the school so she couldn't come yell at me again. I texted my mom so she would come get me. I transferred schools and got a lot of whining from friends for it. When I went to that teacher's classroom with withdrawal forms, she said "I didn't think you would last here." She's one of the biggest asses I've ever met.

I've meant to write that "5 star" school about how terrible their teachers are. I need to write something to the teacher as well.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 2:28 am

when i was a junior or senior in high school a semi-popular girl asked me out of the blue (in front of other students) "what's your favorite sexual position?" it didn't occur to me then it was an inappropriate question (or that she might have been trying to embarrass me). i figured it meant that by then i should have had enough sex experience that i was easily comfortable talking about it in front of everyone, and know all the different sex positions and what they were called.

i was a virgin and only knew the name for one, the "missionary position" and so, afraid of being teased for my lack of knowledge, i said that. i didn't notice, but i bet she and her friends had a good laugh.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 4:06 am

katzefrau wrote:
when i was a junior or senior in high school a semi-popular girl asked me out of the blue (in front of other students) "what's your favorite sexual position?" it didn't occur to me then it was an inappropriate question (or that she might have been trying to embarrass me). i figured it meant that by then i should have had enough sex experience that i was easily comfortable talking about it in front of everyone, and know all the different sex positions and what they were called.

i was a virgin and only knew the name for one, the "missionary position" and so, afraid of being teased for my lack of knowledge, i said that. i didn't notice, but i bet she and her friends had a good laugh.

I would answer those questions with very childish responses, cause something told me no matter what I said was gonna backfire.

My response as far as thru high school( I kid you not) was "you're sick".

What else could I honestly say?

Here's something funny though: while I found many of my classmates very physically attractive( beautiful), I never found myself actually attracted to them in a sexual way. Maybe one or two of them, and that was it.

Funny enough, of those two, one has defriended me on Facebook, and the other has a boyfriend, and gets drunk off her @$$ all the time...and she's a ditz.

I mean...looking back, I'm glad none of the girls I was interested in back in high school anything ever materialized with. I actually have them all as friends on Facebook;

one of them is now married with a kid, and I have nothing but the highest respect in the world for her...but she and I would've never worked out, I'm sure of that. I do of course wish her the absolute best, as she's really a wonderful person, though she obviously never really liked me that much( schyeah, who ever did? :roll: )

Another who--I've mentioned before--is an acquaintance of mine is married, but she's a heavy Bible Thumper. That and I...wouldn't have worked. Like...at all.

The final one....her looks are beginning to fade now for whatever reason; so no, I regret nothing.

I'm kinda glad it all worked out how it did, and I got the gal that I do :D

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 11:49 am

I just remembered two more embarrassing ones:

When I was 10 my class was doing a play in the auditorium. I had to wear a skirt in the play, which I never usually wore. I was sitting in the front row with another girl and the janitor came by to sweep under our chairs. I should have lifted my legs up together like the other girl but instead I spread them! She laughed at me and was like "No! Don't do that! What's wrong with you?" :oops:

In JHS I went to a Catholic school. We weren't allowed to wear makeup, but I wanted to wear it cuz it was pretty and colorful. So I decided to make my own makeup. I had these colored pencils at home that made like a watercolor when you wet them. So I wet the red one and put it on my lips. I actually went to school like that! One of the teachers pulled me aside and asked me "Are you wearing lipstick?" I said "No." She said "Well, then why are your lips so red?" I knew then what I'd done was stupid so I told her 'Oh, I ate a popsicle." :lol:

It really is no wonder I got bullied.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 12:08 pm

katzefrau wrote:

You should have tolder her 'You bent over with my foot up your ass!" As you can tell I got beat up for the comments I made before I got bigger. LoL :lol:

astaut wrote:
Oh, I remember one now.
She came out a few minutes later and started lecturing me saying that she was NOT being a B***h, that she knew what it was like to have someone be a b***h to you and she wasn't being one (I never said she was being one....?).

She was probably use to people calling her b***h. 8)