Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 7:09 am

The other day, the first day of the summer, there was a shooting in my district.
2 young guys (24 and 26) were killed and 3 others serverly hurt.
People were called to demonstrate peacefully today. I can hear them from my opened window.
So sad.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 7:44 am

zena4 wrote:
The other day, the first day of the summer, there was a shooting in my district.
2 young guys (24 and 26) were killed and 3 others serverly hurt.
People were called to demonstrate peacefully today. I can hear them from my opened window.
So sad.

Where do you live? Folks there must really hate summer.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 7:48 am

Or music.
I live in France and it was the day of the music, as we call it.
It's a day when everyone is authorised to play music in the streets.

But I'm not sure it has something to do with it.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:05 am

Ok, I get it. On that day, everyone plays loud music. As an aspie myself, I can certainly understand why that day would be stressful. It would be very frustrating if people seeking quiet can't even call the police and must resort to shooting the noisemakers themselves. If I lived there, I think I would seriously consider a trip to the countryside on that day.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:17 am

It could have been, yes, it already happened in other places but this time, according to the police, it's a thing between 2 gangs :?

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:24 am

So why were people demonstrating?

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:30 am

I think - but I'm not sure, I don't really know yet - I think that since the demonstration is only for one guy, this one was innocent and not involved. Like being in the wrong place with the wrong people.

People here are sick of drugs dealers and their methods.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:43 am

Its probably a drug turf war. They each have their own territories and when others encroach, bullets fly. But then you have drug addicts that are so insane with their addiction that they steal and kill just to get the money to buy more drugs. My solution is to make drugs free and legal, but only in approved government buildings. That way you kill the demand for the illegal stuff and put the criminals out of business. You also keep the addicts off the street.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:51 am

I don't know.

Booz was forbidden in Chicago in the 20's and in Russia, they did it exactly like you said when it was still the USSR - but for alcohol too.

Until now, it seems like it didn't work too well, either way.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 9:03 am

The alcohol ban in the 20's was for the entire US and not just Chicago. It was referred to as "Prohibition". It was a constitutional ammendment that started it and another one that ended it.

In hindsight, I am hearing that the real people behind prohibition was the oil industry. Because, up until alcohol was banned, all cars ran off alcohol. Such that, people would simply make it themselves or buy it from a local distillery. When alcohol was banned, cars were converted to gasoline, which was cheap and plentiful back then.

The axiom is that when something bad happens, and you want to know who was really behind it, figure out who had the most to gain, and you'll have the culprit. The same is true for that drug shooting where you live.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 9:22 am

Yes, I know that the whole USA were concerned by that law... but Chicago is still the most representative of it here :)
... But I didn't know that it was already the oil industry who were behind that.

For here, I have an idea who could possibly be behind that crack deal territory but I can't speak about it: I'm not sure and it's a very hot political topic in France.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 9:38 am

Honestly, I think that if the government poisoned the illegal drug supply that people would stop buying it from dealers. While that would be very politically incorrect, it would solve the problem very quickly. At the same time, the government should be sensitive to the needs of it's people and allow some people to get the drugs that have a legitimate need for it. For example, some aspies take MDMA which has been shown to temporarily eliminate the symptoms of AS. People with certain diseases need marijuana.

Euclid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2010, 9:47 am

Until a few years ago I lived in a violent part of London - Stockwell. Ironically its now infamous because the police murdered Jean Charles de Menezes. They lied about their actions & tried to make believe he was a terroist.

Luckily I escaped to a small town but the memories of that past still haunt me, sadly at least in England the police are as vicious as the criminals

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 1:31 am

You have my deepest condolences.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 2:44 am

Thanks for your kinds words CockneyRebel but it's not as if I knew any of them :)

Though, I feel a little sorry for their families and friends and all of us who live in such a neighborhood.
It's not very healthy, is it?