Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 1:44 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
It seems that the people around me want to make it a soap opera, when I just want to do my thing, and live life, the way that I please.

To be honest, I think the reason is because they're otherwise bored out of their friggin' minds.

they need constant drama to make life interesting.

As my friend told me a guy like me already makes life interesting due to offering such a different perspective; but when the majority can't even seem to comprehend it, what does it matter to them?

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 2:59 pm

Ferdinand wrote:
I usually accidentally work my way into dramas by not keeping my mouth shut. :roll:

This could be my problem. I don´t know what it is, I´m trying to figure it out. I notice in my current work situation, all of my colleagues seem to have the same opinions, which I don´t understand, I have different opinions. Sometimes I think I´m going crazy- why do these people all think the same? Especially when it defies logic? In this type of situation, I just can´t keep my mouth shut: especially because other people have to suffer, based on their stupid opinions! (So who has "empathy" now?)

Maybe people just don´t appreciate my honesty. Well, at least maybe that´s the current thing, in all of my past situations it could have been any number of things.... :roll:

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 10:57 pm

Morgana wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
I usually accidentally work my way into dramas by not keeping my mouth shut. :roll:

This could be my problem. I don´t know what it is, I´m trying to figure it out. I notice in my current work situation, all of my colleagues seem to have the same opinions, which I don´t understand, I have different opinions. Sometimes I think I´m going crazy- why do these people all think the same? Especially when it defies logic? In this type of situation, I just can´t keep my mouth shut: especially because other people have to suffer, based on their stupid opinions! (So who has "empathy" now?)

Maybe people just don´t appreciate my honesty. Well, at least maybe that´s the current thing, in all of my past situations it could have been any number of things.... :roll:

they may not necessarily...in some cases, they just may say they do, they're just too afraid to speak up; they don't want to lose their social status.

In some cases, they're just literally willing to give in to popular opinion.

Humanity generally seems very easily corruptable, due to very weak principles.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 5:28 am

ManErg wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Yes I get that kind of thing sometimes. I think it's because I don't judge people and have a penchant for unusual types, who often turn out to have issues. Most people would probably take one look at them and steer clear, but I just wade in and start making friends with them.

That sounds similar to me. I certainly seem to only have friends who are unusual and that have associated issues. The time when I had most friends was when I was most involved in these sorts of strange situations. It got too much and I yearned for time by myself, eventually becoming wary of making any social contact at all. Probably not trusting my judgement in social situations, so just not engaging in any. :?

It cuts both ways as I would guess that many of us *also* have issues - quite visible in some cases much as we may try to hide them. Which is interesting as it would explain why "most people take one look and steer clear" of me, too. Leaving only the odd ones to befriend.

I think NT's get involved in 'soap operas' too - they take up much TV time so I assume those programmes are based on something? It's the kind of situation that's different. I imagine NT's would mostly be in complex relationships. Mine were far stranger than that!

I guess there's some truth in the idea that we stick to strange people because they're the only ones who will accept us.......but I prefer to stand the idea on its head and believe that strange people are better people, and that the feeling the "normals" have for us is mutual. I wouldn't know if "normals" accept me or not, because I don't make any great effort to get them to accept me.

Dunno about soap operas. I gather they're written by middle class people but are aimed at the working class, so I've always taken them as some kind of dodgy controlling propaganda, though I guess they wouldn't be of much interest if the problems the characters faced didn't resound with the viewers as the kind of stuff that happens to them. I note the way reality TV only seems popular when there are fights breaking out and people acting like as*holes.....it's been said that a reality TV show about a group of people actually getting it together and solving their differences would bore the public silly. Personally I'd love a show like that.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2010, 5:32 pm

Morgana wrote:
My parents have told me they think people are jealous of me, but this doesn´t really make sense: why would that many people be jealous of me? :huh:

I have never understood what people mean when they say that others are jealous.
Partly because I don't get jealous myself, and therefore don't really understand it, and partly because, looking at jealousy logically, I couldn't see any reason why someone else would be jealous, unless they wanted the grotty stuff as well.

I can accept that it's not usual to be rational about emotions, and jealousy is an emotion, but I do find it hard to understand why people aren't rational. :)

But I don't know if it is just another 'social phrase' that's used, to effectively dismiss your concerns as quickly as possible, or if it really is something which other people understand and don't explain, because they think you should understand too.

Being told others are jealous is not helpful at all.
But if we accept that there is truth in it, then perhaps it is better to interpret it as a warning, even if you don't understand why.

I have heard people excuse bullying or other unpleasant behaviour because "they're just jealous". I think that is very wrong.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 3:40 am

ladyrain wrote:
Morgana wrote:
My parents have told me they think people are jealous of me, but this doesn´t really make sense: why would that many people be jealous of me? :huh:

I have never understood what people mean when they say that others are jealous.
Partly because I don't get jealous myself, and therefore don't really understand it, and partly because, looking at jealousy logically, I couldn't see any reason why someone else would be jealous, unless they wanted the grotty stuff as well.

I can accept that it's not usual to be rational about emotions, and jealousy is an emotion, but I do find it hard to understand why people aren't rational. :)

But I don't know if it is just another 'social phrase' that's used, to effectively dismiss your concerns as quickly as possible, or if it really is something which other people understand and don't explain, because they think you should understand too.

Being told others are jealous is not helpful at all.
But if we accept that there is truth in it, then perhaps it is better to interpret it as a warning, even if you don't understand why.

I have heard people excuse bullying or other unpleasant behaviour because "they're just jealous". I think that is very wrong.

I never buy the "jealousy" thing either unless I hear it from someone very close to the person who starts up with me.

In fact, several years ago when I bumped into my ex-girlfriend--who by that point was dating/almost married to my former close friend--I had a long conversation with her, and he actually thought I was flirting with her. It'd help for me to actually know what flirting is, but since I don't, I didn't see it that way. Her boyfriend freaked out at me online, and everyone told me it was due to his being insecure.

Now, bear in mind this was like 10 years ago, not now. Today, if you find yourself insecure in my presence, I can kinda understand it. But then? In my mind at the time, you had to be the biggest loser on the planet to feel insecure and jealous around me...

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 7:34 am

I´m not sure whether to buy the jealousy thing or not; in my line of work, there are definitely those who teach the Performing Arts, but never had much of a stage career themselves. As I had a stage career too, some might be comparing themselves to me and feeling insecure- (or just insecure that they have the position they have anyway). So, in some cases I think there are a few who are jealous of me. However, I can´t imagine it would be that way in every case! If somebody else is good, and had a career too, I don´t understand what they would have against me. Can´t I also be good too? I feel like I´m "burning bridges" everywhere I go, not because I do anything wrong or treat people disrespectfully- I just do my own thing quietly- but these people just seem to have it in for me. It´s like they don´t want to see me succeed.

For instance, someone just took my job. Well, I still have a job, so I won´t starve, not yet. It´s just that I´ve now been demoted and my job will be much less creatively interesting next year. :( I feel like something unsavory went on. Of course, the new employee is very social, fits in well with the group and is really an expert at presenting and "marketing" himself. He is good, but so am I; I just don´t seem to know how to market myself like he does. But I do the work, and the results speak for themselves.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 7:51 pm

Morgana wrote:
I´m not sure whether to buy the jealousy thing or not; in my line of work, there are definitely those who teach the Performing Arts, but never had much of a stage career themselves. As I had a stage career too, some might be comparing themselves to me and feeling insecure- (or just insecure that they have the position they have anyway). So, in some cases I think there are a few who are jealous of me. However, I can´t imagine it would be that way in every case! If somebody else is good, and had a career too, I don´t understand what they would have against me. Can´t I also be good too? I feel like I´m "burning bridges" everywhere I go, not because I do anything wrong or treat people disrespectfully- I just do my own thing quietly- but these people just seem to have it in for me. It´s like they don´t want to see me succeed.

For instance, someone just took my job. Well, I still have a job, so I won´t starve, not yet. It´s just that I´ve now been demoted and my job will be much less creatively interesting next year. :( I feel like something unsavory went on. Of course, the new employee is very social, fits in well with the group and is really an expert at presenting and "marketing" himself. He is good, but so am I; I just don´t seem to know how to market myself like he does. But I do the work, and the results speak for themselves.

the thing to understand is society has a dog-eat-dog mentality. Rather than actually be happy and do something they enjoy, they'd prefer to be "happy" by seeing other people fail. It's sick and petty, but welcome to society.

Kiddo, I've burned so many bridges in the past, and I regret none of it. In order to keep the bridges from being burned, I would've had to compromise my principles like crazy. Maybe others have no problems with doing that, but they don't have the ambition and desire to succeed and stick to their principles that I do. Most of 'em would sell out their own kids for a dime bag.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2010, 6:25 am

I had a partner Ron, before he died. We used to be very close, and joked that we were characters in a comedy duo. Especially when we watched movies, or CSI. He and I were prepaired to do great artistic things.

But It would seem that my life is a sit com, a comedy for the Gods. I called it the "C" (name), show. each new event in my life, a short series in the story arc. Like a reality show. Man longer running than Simpsons lol, and Gunsmoke. heh. Or last of the Summer Wine! Law and Order.

Apparently there is a a mental condition called the Truman syndrome. Where schizophrenics think they're on a reality show based on their lives. The abundant security cameras and increased surveillance these past 10 years, help to reinforce their suspicions .

But it seems for me, that life is like a comedy, and I'm the butt of the joke. The joker, the comic relief. Especially when life goes all screwy for me. That it's unreal. Another episode of the C show. Heck, my guidance counsilor even called it that. Without even knowing that I likewise called it that.

It's like I'm Butter's Show (from South Park), or something. And when I blow it, at work, life, or things generally suck, and they suck ALOT. (I can never win). I swear I could even hear a theme song. It's like I'm ALL the Glee club members in one person with all sorts of perscution.

People come in to my life, share a short spotlight, a small chapter. until they use me....

Shakespear says "life is a stage".

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 6:38 am

sillycat wrote:
I had a partner Ron, before he died. We used to be very close, and joked that we were characters in a comedy duo. Especially when we watched movies, or CSI. He and I were prepaired to do great artistic things.

But It would seem that my life is a sit com, a comedy for the Gods. I called it the "C" (name), show. each new event in my life, a short series in the story arc. Like a reality show. Man longer running than Simpsons lol, and Gunsmoke. heh. Or last of the Summer Wine! Law and Order.

Apparently there is a a mental condition called the Truman syndrome. Where schizophrenics think they're on a reality show based on their lives. The abundant security cameras and increased surveillance these past 10 years, help to reinforce their suspicions .

But it seems for me, that life is like a comedy, and I'm the butt of the joke. The joker, the comic relief. Especially when life goes all screwy for me. That it's unreal. Another episode of the C show. Heck, my guidance counsilor even called it that. Without even knowing that I likewise called it that.

It's like I'm Butter's Show (from South Park), or something. And when I blow it, at work, life, or things generally suck, and they suck ALOT. (I can never win). I swear I could even hear a theme song. It's like I'm ALL the Glee club members in one person with all sorts of perscution.

People come in to my life, share a short spotlight, a small chapter. until they use me....

Shakespear says "life is a stage".

it's funny because I'm told we Autistics imitate what we see on TV a lot, as that's the only social interaction we really experience. A former friend of mine even said "you do act a lot, and talk to people like something from TV"; yeah, I could see that.

I did see a lot of life thru the prism of TV; it's an interesting perspective...

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 5:10 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
the thing to understand is society has a dog-eat-dog mentality. Rather than actually be happy and do something they enjoy, they'd prefer to be "happy" by seeing other people fail. It's sick and petty, but welcome to society.

You´re absolutely right. And I´m getting really tired of it, I don´t think I can take it anymore.....

Basically, whenever I had creative opportunities, although I enjoyed the work immensely, I always had problems with people. The backbiting, the jealousy, social intrigue- you name it. When my work was going well, I usually felt just on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and needed much time afterward to recover. Even though I did good work which was successful, the negative social stuff just put a damper on things.

Now, my jobs have dwindled to practically nothing. I realize I am no longer "threatening" to anyone, so people will probably finally leave me alone. But unfortunately, my jobs are way below my level, so I think they´ll be tedious and I´ll be totally bored and frustrated. I´m strongly thinking of changing careers....but what else can I do? I don´t really have any other skills, and I feel quite limited.

Basically, the latest thing is that it looks like someone took my job because I was on sick leave for cancer. He´s smooth talking, knows how to play the game and "market himself", etc. I´m quite horrified that a colleague took advantage of the fact that I had cancer, and that the school I work at have basically shown that they have no respect or loyalty towards me. The more I think about it, the worse I feel. I fought for my life to do what.....fight for my job? What is all this fighting FOR? I want to just get out of the rat race. Well, at least my health is fine now, I guess I should just be thankful for that. It´s just that the struggle never seems to end......

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2010, 6:18 pm

it's funny because I'm told we Autistics imitate what we see on TV a lot, as that's the only social interaction we really experience. A former friend of mine even said "you do act a lot, and talk to people like something from TV"; yeah, I could see that.

I did see a lot of life thru the prism of TV; it's an interesting perspective...[/quote]

>>>Actually I use alot of metaphores from TV shows, to describe people and things, to explain and illustrate difficult concepts. For example. If I wanted to describe a rather heated hockey game, where the fans are wild and the players out of control. I'd refer to the "Slap Shot" movie (It's actually very funny. It's about a minor league hockey team, that services a small industrial town. It is one of the more comic teams as they suck until they decide to be come side show "wrestling" stuff (a movie line), especially with 3 very aggressive players the Hanson brothers), or I'd describe the Canada vs USSR game where the players went bananas.

I use alot of Star War metaphores, Star Trek metaphores. etc etc etc.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2010, 7:16 pm

I did see a lot of life thru the prism of TV; it's an interesting perspective...[/quote]

>>>Actually I use alot of metaphores from TV shows, to describe people and things, to explain and illustrate difficult concepts. For example. If I wanted to describe a rather heated hockey game, where the fans are wild and the players out of control. I'd refer to the "Slap Shot" movie (It's actually very funny. It's about a minor league hockey team, that services a small industrial town. It is one of the more comic teams as they suck until they decide to be come side show "wrestling" stuff (a movie line), especially with 3 very aggressive players the Hanson brothers), or I'd describe the Canada vs USSR game where the players went bananas.

I use alot of Star War metaphores, Star Trek metaphores. etc etc etc.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 2:35 am

Morgana wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

You´re absolutely right. And I´m getting really tired of it, I don´t think I can take it anymore.....

Basically, whenever I had creative opportunities, although I enjoyed the work immensely, I always had problems with people. The backbiting, the jealousy, social intrigue- you name it. When my work was going well, I usually felt just on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and needed much time afterward to recover. Even though I did good work which was successful, the negative social stuff just put a damper on things.

Now, my jobs have dwindled to practically nothing. I realize I am no longer "threatening" to anyone, so people will probably finally leave me alone. But unfortunately, my jobs are way below my level, so I think they´ll be tedious and I´ll be totally bored and frustrated. I´m strongly thinking of changing careers....but what else can I do? I don´t really have any other skills, and I feel quite limited.

Basically, the latest thing is that it looks like someone took my job because I was on sick leave for cancer. He´s smooth talking, knows how to play the game and "market himself", etc. I´m quite horrified that a colleague took advantage of the fact that I had cancer, and that the school I work at have basically shown that they have no respect or loyalty towards me. The more I think about it, the worse I feel. I fought for my life to do what.....fight for my job? What is all this fighting FOR? I want to just get out of the rat race. Well, at least my health is fine now, I guess I should just be thankful for that. It´s just that the struggle never seems to end......

I have some advice: everyone is good at doing at least one thing. Find what you're good at doing--and be able to defend your principles about it( I assure you, you'll need to), and you're good to go. :)