Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Have you ever read Terry Pratchett books?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 15 ]
Yes 39%  39%  [ 15 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 38

Altu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2006, 10:03 am

Terry Pratchett is a great author. Please read some of his books, althuogh in the states it is kind of hard to find his books.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 12:56 pm

Altu wrote:
Terry Pratchett is a great author.

Absolutely. Characters, philosophy, humour, asides and allusions all over the place.

But difficult to obtain? How about second-hand at

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/

(currently 4,534 items in the USA, starting at $1: how many do you want? )

jellynail
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2006, 11:32 am

Yeah, even if you don't normally go for fantasy novels, Terry Pratchett rocks. And it's only slightly harder to find his books than Douglas Adams's books here in the states. Probably anyone who likes one of those authors would like the other as well. I recommend starting with the first book (in either series) and reading them sequentially.

They're not really intended for kids, though. Not saying they're vulgar or anything, just not targeted at kids. I'd recommend the Borribles trilogy, though I forget the author. Now, that one will be hard to track down here in the states.

http://jellynail.vox.com/

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 12:19 pm

jellynail wrote:
. I recommend starting with the first book (in either series) and reading them sequentially.

For Adams, certainly. But for Terry Pratchett, unless you have already decided to read several, the first may not be the best introduction. It's certainly not as developed and mature as even the second book (which brings on the magnificent Cohen the Barbarian)

Perhaps I'd recommend "Guards, Guards" as an opening book. (It wouldn't interrrupt any sequences of stories) or characters), leaving the Colour of Magic to follow once the slightly later style of Pratchett has been found tasty.

I certainly wouldn't recommend reading Tolkien in chronological order. The Silmarillion is NOT "Lord of the Rings, the prequel" except technically!

jellynail
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2006, 12:46 pm

Now that you mention it, I think I did read the second book first, so I'll concede the point. However, I think the lack of involvement with the rest of the storyline is probably the best argument you could make NOT to read "Guards! Guards!" first.

As for Tolkien, that falls into a category of artwork I like to ironically refer to as "highly derivative of its successors." By which I mean it's regarded as great art not so much because it was truly great, but rather because it's fair art and he did it before anyone else. Or at least, before anyone else anyone's ever heard of. I put Shakespeare and The Beatles in the same category.

http://jellynail.vox.com/

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 1:16 pm

jellynail wrote:
However, I think the lack of involvement with the rest of the storyline is probably the best argument you could make NOT to read "Guards! Guards!" first. .

As though there was one storyline...
It's a mesh (No I didn't type mess) of them isn't it? The Wizards, and the Witches and the Watch. And then some others.

But some storylines start with Guards Guards... the rise of Vimes, for example.
Agreed, we are away from the witches, and the wizards, by and large.

Quote:
As for Tolkien, that falls into a category of artwork I like to ironically refer to as "highly derivative of its successors."

Absolutely spot on.

Altu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2006, 2:46 pm

Noe that I have read several of his books and am reading "Strata". I prefer his later style. It's still good, though.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 3:27 am

Terry Pratchett has written some books for children and teenagers. There was "Truckers", "Diggers" and "Wings" (a trilogy). There's also "Johnny & The Dead", "Who Can Save Mankind" and "Strata" and a few more recent ones featuring the Mac Nac Feegles.

Terry Pratchett books not specifically written for children would probably appeal most to ages 12 and up but as Aspies are often advanced readers, younger people than that might also like them. If you like puns and word play, Terry Pratchett does lots of those.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Rob_Somebody
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2008, 7:14 am

<-----

But the face stays painted on for everyone to gaze upon
continuing the bad dream till he wakes up gone.

Drakshin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2009, 10:44 pm

I'm surprised by the fact that Sora didn't reply to this thread, she quote's Terry Pratchett on her signature.
About TP, i keep most of his books (illegally obtained) on my computer, but i do read or touch these files. (unless i want to retrieve a part of the text for quoting)
I actually buy and read them, but keep the digital copies just in case.
I order them off amazon.co.uk and they're not that expensive.
I personally think the man is a genius.