Google's making a full social networking site: Google Me

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 8:48 am

When Digg founder Kevin Rose tweeted about the existence of "Google Me," Google's supposed "Facebook killer" social-networking site, I'd love to know whether he expected Facebook's former-CTO to jump into the fray and confirm it, saying it's a "real project."

Adam D'Angelo, who has since left Facebook to found Quora, wrote on his Q&A site that that not only is it "not a rumor," that there are many people working on the project at Google, adding he is "completely confident about this."

But what about Buzz, Google's attempt last year to coin their own Facebook rival? According to D'Angelo, "they realized that Buzz wasn't enough and that they need to build out a full, first-class social network. They are modeling it off of Facebook."

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5575237/googles-face ... cebook-cto

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 1:01 pm

And we all know where this is going to end up. Their "facebook killer" won't kill facebook, so they will instead buy facebook (as they did youtube).

t0
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm

I was under the impression that Google already knows everything about you since they track everywhere you go online (using their ad engine). Perhaps Google Me will be better than Facebook in that it will automatically update your pages for you - since they already know what you're doing.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 3:07 am

JoeSchmukapop wrote:
Is this going to be preloaded into everyones gmail account like "buzz" or whatever it's called?

Probably, but like Buzz, you have to opt in to it. I've never used Buzz on my Gmail account, so it's never even opened a profile for me or anything.