Laughing in inappropriate situations, at inappropriate times

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aurora16
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2006, 4:06 pm

when i was a really small girl, I would laugh at the strangest times but have learned to supress it completely because i was punished for it. The last time i remember having a good laugh was in 6th grade when my social studies teacher said, i don't want to hear any more words starting with p. then she went on to read from a book, " in the *ast , everyone burst out laughing!

ARW_AS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2006, 5:46 pm

YES. When I was helping my mum rummage through my granda's old stuff we came upon his old taxi licence badge with his photo on it.

"He looked bloody awful by that time" she said.

And for some reason I laughed. Not only was it heartless and inappropriate, it sounded cold too. I instantly regretted it. This was the same day I was shown the one and only remaining picture of her granda too, and given the storiees about him, I empathised with what lung cancer had done to him by 1976. I can't help feeling that because I was painted the picture of my great-granda being a good, honest, hard-working man, that my mum thought it made me think little of my own granda.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I also get occassional outbursts - whether it be walking by myself, in a crowded cafeteria or at my work serving people on tills - it happens.

But then again, doesn't that happen to EVERYONE from time to time?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 6:35 pm

I remember laughing at parts of "Con Air" when my family was watching it on video about a decade ago or so. I thought them grotesquely ironic, but I got given grief by my parents for laughing at such situations. This was before my diagnosis, mind.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 6:37 pm

I used to do this when I was a little kid, but I've stopped doing this now.

Truth-Seeker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 May 2006, 9:27 pm

I used to do this when I was very young. The teacher(s) would get angry about it, yet I usually tried hard not to laugh. I even remember laughing when on TV they were talking about some guy that got killed and my father got very angry about this. Around 4th or 5th grade, this pretty much stopped and I rarely laughed out at odd times since then. Maybe it was just one of the phases I was going through.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 2:34 am

Just a couple of days ago I was watching Australia's ABC Four Corners and on it was al-Qaeda video clips of cars being blown up in Iraq on their websites. I was shocked but my stange reaction of shock was to laugh hysterically and uncontrollably at the voice over chanting Allah Akba! Allah Akba!

Paul

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 5:09 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
Just a couple of days ago I was watching Australia's ABC Four Corners and on it was al-Qaeda video clips of cars being blown up in Iraq on their websites. I was shocked but my stange reaction of shock was to laugh hysterically and uncontrollably at the voice over chanting Allah Akba! Allah Akba!

Paul

We are used to seeing cars blown up as entertainment on tv and in movies.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 9:18 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:

Paul

I've come across something similar on "60 minutes", having the same reaction to the arabic chanting.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 5:08 pm

Yeah this happens to me sometimes, nothing funny will have happened and there will be nothing apparent to laugh at and yet I will burst into uncontrollable fits of laughter that I cannot suppress.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 5:13 pm

But does anyone do it as a kind of panic attack like me, like some extreme way of escaping mentally from social situations?

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 6:52 pm

Here I go again :lol:
I am actually laughing uncontrollably at the justaposition of Fiz's and Lonermutant's avartar.
I don't know why. :?: :?:

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 7:16 pm

Hey I don't mind, laughter is good for you so laugh all you want, I know you can't help it lol

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2006, 12:38 am

I've been threathened and bullied because of it.