Laughing in inappropriate situations, at inappropriate times

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 1:58 pm

Does anyone else find that they laugh uncontrollably, or find it difficult to suppress laughter, for no apparent reason? When there's no apparent stimulus for the laughter? In inappropriate situations etc.?

Tiktaalik
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2006, 2:07 pm

Sometimes I smile inappropriately, for no reason. It almost got me in a fight last semester. I only rarely laugh inappropriately, but Murphy's Law dictates that it be at the most inopportune time possible.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 2:14 pm

I used to have this problem when I was younger. It had to do with me being disconnected from what was going on around me and laughing at some thought I had. Naturally, everyone assumed that I was connected and laughing at them. Same with the smile. It doesn't happen so much, but that is probably because my thoughts are rarely so funny anymore.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 2:22 pm

Actually, I have a specific example where I messed up socially by laughing. You're not alone! It was in a class. The professor mentioned that the telnet/SSH client we were going to use was called "Putty" and I chuckled and smiled because: a. I use that one all the time and b., Once again, the professor really seemed to know what he was talking about and I adored him for it.

Of course, he gave me a funny look and took it as the opposite: disrespect and, from that point on, always treated me with a sort of disfavor. This is so common in my life: my smiles look like smirks, and what body language I put out is always taken as negative, so people think I'm a negative person when, inside, I'm usually feeling nothing at all or generally content.

Took thirty years to figure out that too. All the frustration of people saying things like, "Everyone thinks you're an a**hole," when, in fact, I was trying to be nice to everyone I could because I kept getting knocked around due to people's opinions of me. I get that problem a lot at work now. I sit next to someone who considers a lack of body language as frustration and voices it. My biggest problem isn't really giving wrong signals, it is giving NO signals, which is taken as a wrong signal.

I'm really tired of all this non-verbal stuff and I really wish people would just mind their own business.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 2:24 pm

In my case, it's social anxiety. I kind of run away into my own mind. I see my chronic smiling as something equalent of crawling for miles with a broken or torn off leg, it's a kind of panic attack.

Stallion_72
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2006, 2:29 pm

I've had this problem all my life. I was at a funeral once where I had to try really hard from laughing. I couldn't understand why I wanted to laugh, it was a freakin funeral!? :?

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 2:50 pm

Stallion_72 wrote:
I've had this problem all my life. I was at a funeral once where I had to try really hard from laughing. I couldn't understand why I wanted to laugh, it was a freakin funeral!? :?

I've been bullied so much, threathened and almost beaten up and it even ruined the relationship with my sister for a long time.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 3:37 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
I've been bullied so much, threathened and almost beaten up and it even ruined the relationship with my sister for a long time.

Oh man; that sucks :-( :-( :-( Isn't is something how much communication is non-verbal and how the NT's act upon it?

midge
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2006, 4:24 pm

Quote:

I've had this problem all my life. I was at a funeral once where I had to try really hard from laughing. I couldn't understand why I wanted to laugh, it was a freakin funeral!?

I've gotten the urge to laugh during awful times like these as well. I think it's because I know that it's the last thing I should do, and that makes me feel really nervous and anxious, and when I get nervous and anxious, I tend to laugh; also, when I know I'm not supposed to do something-trivial or weird little things here, not major things like breaking the law-I'll get this weird urge to do it, so you're not alone in that, don't worry.

I've laughed at my own thoughts too, and it always makes me worried people will think I'm really strange :oops: I also get the urge to laugh when I'm alone in a place with other people around. I once laughed at a teacher when he was berating the class, and, in the most recent example, I had a giggling fit at my own wedding! :lol: Well, I guess there was a good reason for it-my poor husband was so nervous he held out his right hand instead of his left (exactly something I would do, and I'm surprised I didn't do it too) and the ring wouldn't fit. He almost started laughing himself, and I think it'll be something we'll joke about and smile about for a long time.

Hel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2006, 4:46 pm

Sometimes I will share a joke with someone and carry on laughing about five minutes afterwards, either because the thing we laughed about is still amusing me or because my brain has gone off in a million and one other directions with the joke...that has earned me a few funny looks from people at work :lol:

moomin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2006, 5:08 pm

because my thoughts go off on tangents so often, i will suddenly laugh out loud for what appears to be no reason.
I also laugh too loud or for too long on many occassions..

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 5:31 pm

I rarely laugh my ass off, but whenever I even think about something funny, I can't help smiling or laughing.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2006, 9:39 pm

Hel wrote:
Sometimes I will share a joke with someone and carry on laughing about five minutes afterwards, either because the thing we laughed about is still amusing me or because my brain has gone off in a million and one other directions with the joke...that has earned me a few funny looks from people at work :lol:

What he said.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 2:02 pm

I have laughed at inappropriate situations for as long as I can remember. When I was about seven or eight years old, I would always laugh whenever someone got hurt. (unfortunately I still do this.)
Most people I know are used to my laughing for no apparent reason. This usualy becomes a problem if someone is talking to me about something serious, or whenever I'm attending a seminar of some sort.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 7:20 pm

It it happened at a funeral just recently with some teenage kids sitting in the pew behind, then I heard one of them whisper out "stick a pin in her backside". I have no idea who they were referring to, but for half the duration of the funeral I had trouble clamping my jaws shut and restraining myself from laughing at that little smart remark. I even at times had to put my hand over my mouth and take good, strong firm grip because I sure did not want to make an ass of myself bursting out in raucous laughter as my bizarre sense of humour gets the better of me. But usually I do like a good gag, even if I have to stick one of a different kind over my mouth at times

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2006, 7:59 pm

That happened a lot when I was a kid and occasionally in my teens.