"why dont you find friends your own age"!

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 5:57 pm

i hear that from people

too many people my age are ignorant
im not the typical teenager around where i live

anyone else also get along better with younger people? (or older)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 6:03 pm

I get along with people who are older than myself. I have more in common with people who are older.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Jun 2010, 6:46 pm

I get along much better with people who are a bit younger than me or a bit older. I'm 27 & most people around my age are really into partying or they have families, jobs ect & are full of responsibilities so they cant/won't give me much time. I have some very immature interest so I can get along better with younger people & I also have some older traditional values that are more common in older people so I can get along with em

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 7:43 pm

nick007 wrote:
I get along much better with people who are a bit younger than me or a bit older.

I've always been that way, too.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2010, 8:29 pm

Ah, the memory of my childhood. When I was in college up to my diagnosis, I always tagged myself as "Too normal for the weird ones, too weird for the normal ones."

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 10:58 pm

conundrum wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I get along much better with people who are a bit younger than me or a bit older.

+1

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 11:12 pm

For me it's always been 5 - 10 years older, since childhood. The quack says it's because I was raised by my Uncles and their friends instead of my parents. Stayed that way till 40 or so before I would even talk to anyone my age or younger.

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2010, 12:09 am

Seanmw wrote:
conundrum wrote:
nick007 wrote:

+1

Me three.

I feel like I need defined roles in a relationship, which there are when there is one person who is older and one who is younger. When we're the same age I almost can't rationalize it. I don't know how to act.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 1:59 pm

I got this when I was 11 and 12 from my own mother.

I preferred younger kids because we had things in common while kids my own age wanted to chit chat and do boring stuff.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 8:21 pm

My sister tells me this, but instead of age it's gender. "Why don't you make friends with girls?" Because I don't get on with them as well, simple as.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 2:32 am

nobody wondered why I didn't have any boys as friends, because nobody expects it here.

As for kids my age, I got along with a few of them but by and large I seemed to get along better with kids that were not my own age.

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2010, 3:18 am

I'm quite wary of people my own age because they were the ones who made fun of me and made me feel uncomfortable. Trying to talk to them usually resulted in me being laughed at, but I haven't yet had that from anybody older or younger than me. Admittedly though I am still quite scared of teenage girls and find it difficult to trust them. :oops: Most of them were so shallow and superficial, and they were forever falling out and changing groups, not to mention all the bitching and backstabbing that went on. I didn't want to involve myself in that sort of thing.

LadybugQ wrote:
"Too normal for the weird ones, too weird for the normal ones."

LOL, I used to say that about myself too. :lol:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 3:33 am

I get along much better with those older than me, I've been like that since primary school.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 4:08 am

I get along almost exclusively with older women.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 7:38 am

AppleCat wrote:
I'm quite wary of people my own age because they were the ones who made fun of me and made me feel uncomfortable. Trying to talk to them usually resulted in me being laughed at, but I haven't yet had that from anybody older or younger than me. Admittedly though I am still quite scared of teenage girls and find it difficult to trust them. :oops: Most of them were so shallow and superficial, and they were forever falling out and changing groups, not to mention all the bitching and backstabbing that went on. I didn't want to involve myself in that sort of thing.

Yes, that is exactly how I feel!

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2010, 8:46 am

Absolutely.
I've always had two groups of companions (I'm hesitant to say "friends" because I don't know how they view themselves and I'm just starting to learn how very much I may misinterpret forms of companionship).
One is those much younger than I (as an example, my closest "friends" in my old neighbourhood are those I used to babysit as children, who are 6-11 years younger; the only companions I have in my current neighbourhood are the neighbours' grandchildren, the oldest of whom is 13 years my junior).
The other is those much older than I (that is, teachers, professors, the parents of the aforementioned children; in general, those who, now that I am a young adult, are at the very least middle-aged).
I can count on the fingers of one hand the people my age whom I would consider friends, or even companions in the same sense of the word as I have been using. Not only that, but of those with whom I enjoy spending time, almost all have features of the autistic spectrum (though perhaps not enough for a diagnosis) or other issues with similar socio-emotional results.

Furthermore, although I am female, almost all of my friends (for the entirety of my life) have been male.