Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 2:47 am

ShenLong wrote:
Lol, but one had to be made. I hate Britain, North Ireland and Wales, but the entirety of Scotland and the city of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne are ok with me.(JK I don't really hate those places, well except for North Ireland)

'Britain' is often used as shorthand for the entire United Kingdom, so you're saying you hate the UK and then saying that you don't mind parts of it.

Have you been to Northern Ireland? Parts of it are beautiful and parts of it are complete dumps. Just like in the rest of the UK.

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2010, 10:00 am

GoonSquad wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
insincere wrote:
at football!

You get ten idiot points for thinking there's a British football team.

...and another 10, along with the rest of the world, for calling SOCCER, football! :lol:

But then you get 10 idiot points for calling Association Football, soccer. There is Association football, Rugby football and the one you're on about, American football (where you use your hands :!: ) which is realy Rugby for softies. Soccer is an old slang English name for football. :)

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 4:46 pm

The irony is it was Britain who gave football/soccer to the world and taught them how to play it in the first place. England had the first proper football teams and formulated the rules while Scottish teams are reckoned to have influenced the importance of the 'passing' game as opposed to dribbling with the ball.
In Brazil,Scotsman Archie McLean is hailed as a hero for the part he played in getting them to take football seriously.England's greatest player,Sir Stanley Matthews,devoted a lot of his spare time to visiting black townships in South Africa and helping to coach players.

But yes,those days have gone and we're pretty hopeless at the moment.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 6:10 pm

You mean England sucks at football, there's no "British" football team. :P

SpongeBobRocksMao!

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 6:09 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
You mean England sucks at football, there's no "British" football team. :P

To be fair,Insincere didn't actually claim there was a 'British' football team. As the rest of the British countries didn't even qualify for the final tournament we must be even worse than England,so it's true the entire UK is hopeless at football ! But you're quite right,at the same time England does deserve at least to be acknowledged in their own right for their latest particular failure.
I must pay tribute though to Frank Lampard for his dignified and philosophical reaction to having a perfectly good goal disallowed.
He would have been entitled to rant and rave,but as they say "that just wouldn't have been cricket,old bean".

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 1:56 am

Tequila wrote:
ShenLong wrote:
Lol, but one had to be made. I hate Britain, North Ireland and Wales, but the entirety of Scotland and the city of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne are ok with me.(JK I don't really hate those places, well except for North Ireland)

'Britain' is often used as shorthand for the entire United Kingdom, so you're saying you hate the UK and then saying that you don't mind parts of it.

Have you been to Northern Ireland? Parts of it are beautiful and parts of it are complete dumps. Just like in the rest of the UK.

I believe the actual name of the country is:

'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Great Britain being; Scotland, Wales and England and Northern Ireland being the top part of the island of Ireland that is still occupied by the 'British'.