Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 5:30 pm

ruveyn wrote:
RetNet56 wrote:
How can a single God be three persons? The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?

The Trinity is self contradictory nonsense.

There is at most one god.

Virgin Mary is the mother of God.

I believe that some trinitarians justify the concept of the Holy Trinity, with the idea that it demonstrates the power of a single god's Omnipresence, and others believe they are three different entities forming a "Deity Unity".

Yes, the latter seems contradictory, which seems to give the idea of a polytheist unity, the former is something that trinitarians who support the idea claim it is actually monotheism, however, there seems to be a problem with the idea that an all powerful god, is able to multiply itself, so it seems.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:07 pm

greenblue wrote:
Virgin Mary is the mother of God.

Virgins don't bear children. Poor Miriam, a Jewish girl who got knocked up. It happens all the time. God is not flesh and blood if He exists at all, so Miriam is not His mother.

ruveyn

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:47 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Virgins don't bear children. Poor Miriam, a Jewish girl who got knocked up. It happens all the time. God is not flesh and blood if He exists at all, so Miriam is not His mother.

If you say that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was not Pure at all, then we are getting a blatant blasphemy here, be thankful this isn't the Holy Inquisition!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 1:21 am

God can be as many of himself as he wants. He's God, fer crimmony sake.

-Bill, othewise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 6:26 am

greenblue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

If you say that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was not Pure at all, then we are getting a blatant blasphemy here, be thankful this isn't the Holy Inquisition!

Virgins don't bear children, especially male children. Whence cometh the Y chromosome?

If you believe in Virgin mothers, I have a bridge I would like to sell to you.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 7:30 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Can God make a stone so heavy that He cannot move it?

ruveyn

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 7:43 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

no he can not. one can not imagine what is greater than one's minds capacity is to resolve.
one can not think of anything that is beyond their minds capability to alter.

can god create a universal solvent that can be confined to an area with boundaries?

lordy i am out of here and i am going to jump into my soft bed where i will not even consider what the responses will be..

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 11:02 am

b9 wrote:
no he can not. one can not imagine what is greater than one's minds capacity is to resolve.

The Riemann Hypothesis. It will likely take a computer(if that) to solve. Our brains have not the capacity.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannHypothesis.html

Quote:
one can not think of anything that is beyond their minds capability to alter.

Death. Alter that.

Quote:
lordy i am out of here and i am going to jump into my soft bed where i will not even consider what the responses will be..

Really really easy to refute.

Last edited by Fuzzy on 05 Jul 2010, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 12:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

What does that have to do with God being able to have multiples facets of himself?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 2:50 pm

Is it not simply a manner of manifestation? Like Zeus becoming a Swan/Cloud/Old shoe to seduce the ladies. Best way for God to influence mankind at a given point: be "Jesus", and so forth.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 3:24 pm

pandabear wrote:
It made perfect sense to the bigwigs who were calling the shots at the Council of Nicea.

That way, some people who didn't quite follow the party line could conveniently be labeled heretics and crucified.

Yeah,

My question is : if the Trinity were so blatantly and clearly obvious(as the adherents tenaciously claim), why was the third element (holy spirit) added in later(decades) after this 'Nicean big wig meet'.
Point by point it doesn't add:
You can look at ancient religions(pre- christian) and see this concept (triads) embedded within.
The grammar doesn't add either, as adherents claim John 1:1 is a proof text via syntax/grammar.
I've seen it all, and at the end of day it boils down to an infusion of religion and philosophy to amalgamate an empire.
>From Dec. 25 as Christ birth to the Easter egg hunt.

Today as yesterday as tomorrow ; it's another mythos over cosmos.
Fascinating that the human mind is. I mean what can't you believe?

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 5:55 pm

RetNet56 wrote:
How can a single God be three persons? The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?

I don't believe the doctrine of the Trinity teaches that three Persons equal One. I think that the doctrine says that God is three Persons in One essence. "Essence" touches on the intrinsic properties of God; and "Person" touches on the distinct individuality of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And although "Essence" and "Person" are shared characteristics, they are neither synonymous nor identical.

Since by definition God is omniscient, and since each Person in the Godhead (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) experiences a specific task unique unto each One, it follows that each Person in the Godhead knows all things not only as a unit but also as an individual. For it's only the Father who sent the Son; and it's only the Son who died for sins; and it's only the Holy Spirit that regenerates those whom the Son saved.

In other words, each Person in the Godhead shares the same objective knowledge of all events that occur; but each Person in the Godhead also has a uniquely subjective knowledge of all events.