Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RetNet56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2010, 8:47 pm

How can a single God be three persons? The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 8:58 pm

RetNet56 wrote:

He cannot be. I do not know all the details about how that silly nonsense got started, but there is only one living "god" and he/she/it does not have a daddy.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:06 pm

RetNet56 wrote:

The Trinity is self contradictory nonsense.

There is at most one god.

ruveyn

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 7:34 am

From a friend of mine many years ago:

Quote:
"... the first and most important article of faith is the shema, that YHWH is one, and there is only one YHWH. I have learned from experience that unless that most basic point is agreed upon there can be no right fellowship. It is the most basic truth of our faith." (Mountain Jew)

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2010, 9:04 am

RetNet56 wrote:

I could be grossly wrong, and probably am, but the way i thought of it would be that the concept of "god" would be like a "team". For instance like in a football team where you need a goalkeeper (who we could call jesus for instance), the defense (ie the father) and the attackers (ie the holy spirit). without one of these entities the team would fall apart and be unable to fulfil their duties/objectives.

So they are 3 seperate entities all with the same purpose, goals and characteristics.

Im sure someone with more knowledge on the subject could enlighten you though :)

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 10:53 am

It made perfect sense to the bigwigs who were calling the shots at the Council of Nicea.

That way, some people who didn't quite follow the party line could conveniently be labeled heretics and crucified.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jun 2010, 1:58 pm

The way I understand the concept of the Trinity is that god is the "one" reality, which is intrinsically unknowable, ( because we "live", unavoidably, in a world of models, each of us in a slightly different set of them ), omnipresent, ( all around us, close to us, just "hidden" from us by our "models", theories, perceptions, etc ), omniscient, omnipotent, etc.

Jesus Christ is subjective truth/reality, part of the "one" reality but divided/separated from it by the body, by our being physically limited in space and time; our bodies including our brains responsible for the models that we experience things through/with, necessarily totally individual but totally "true" for each one of us. The trick is to recognise and accept that it is neither the same thing as the ersatz "one" reality which we call objectivity, which is actually just the subjective reality of the largest/most powerful and most complex human social group at any moment, nor the same thing as the "one" reality, to see that it is located in space and time, and that it is totally "true" in that place and time, ( and what we eat determines to a great extent what it will be for each of us from moment to moment ;) ).

And the "holy spirit" is that which we do not see/is invisible to us, that which is outside of/beyond our models of perception/understanding, ( those in vogue at any given period ), but also part of the "one" reality", just as involved in determining our models, experience, and actions, as those things/events ( causes ) that we have named/modelled.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 12:13 am

RetNet56 wrote:

Or better yet, why did God commit suicide by killing himself, which was his son which he is the fathered? Does that mean God is dead? Did God commit a mortal sin by killing himself or killing his son? :scratch:

Really...
It's just because they can't keep the stories consistent. Each book of the Bible was written by a different person with a different perspective. The Council of Nicea picked which ones they liked and had to come up with some sort of BS to tie it together but keep it a bit too complicated so the average person can't figure it out. If they question it, they just claim it's the "Mystery of faith".

Thankfully I think people are bit smarter these days... but not by much.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 8:11 am

Look at it this way. If a cube is viewed as a two dimensional object - that is if you can see a cube only by its shadow if you turn it one way its shadow is a square. Turned another way the shadow is a hexagon. A third way gets a shadow again quite different. As an atheist I do not accept a god, but as a person living in four perceptual dimensions I can conceive of an object that could be rotated through, say, six dimensions and have at least three different four dimensional appearances.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 8:20 am

RetNet56 wrote:

Horcruxes.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 9:31 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociati ... y_disorder

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 9:36 am

Ichinin wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder

:lmao:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Jul 2010, 3:18 pm

dude. god didnt write the bible, man did. that should tell you everything

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 3:29 pm

richardbenson wrote:
dude. god didnt write the bible, man did. that should tell you everything

Yeah, that God picked a poor choice for his ghostwriters. The entire idea of a ghost-writer is that they do a better job, not that they do a worse job.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Jul 2010, 4:23 pm

i was always facinated by why people think something thats old or "divinley inspired" is the real thing. someone obviously has never tasted a coca~cola

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 5:03 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i was always facinated by why people think something thats old or "divinley inspired" is the real thing. someone obviously has never tasted a coca~cola

They have tasted this: