Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:45 pm

Ok, if you're confused, allow me to explain. The thing I'm talking about sometimes has to do with hygiene and sometimes it doesn't. Like I was doing a certain lab and when my two lab partners touched something sticky on a plant they were like "ewww!!", not sure if its a gender thing though because they were girls. I don't really mind when things get sticky.

My mom always says "don't touch the floor" "don't touch this, don't touch that" and I don't feel a need to wash my hands. I just brush it off or "not think about it".

I don't get sick that often though. Is it an aspie trait to lack awareness of hygiene?

I don't understand why people gross out when they see a fly (even when it's dead) or a bug. I don't use tissue to smack flies. I use my hand to squish it against my hand or the wall or some other object and I just leave it there.

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2010, 9:58 pm

You're not alone, sometimes I'm not sure why people get grossed out over something I think is stupid to be grossed out over.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm

I get the 'dirty feeling'...usually it's my sensitivity that makes me hyperaware of it.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 10:07 pm

dirty feeling? I am always washing my hands because they feel dirty from stuff i touch. I used to have an irrational fear of germs though. I hate the feel of sticky and have to watch my hands afterwards.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 10:16 pm

That's a peculiar post, BUT, after I read......likewise. To explain: I don't get "creeped-out" by events that (many) NTs might. For example, I can look at/handle bloody brains (or equivalent, depending upon what I am doing) and have absolutely no misgivings or repulsions in any way. I am not afraid, at all, of spider or snakes, for example, and I like to touch them. I really do not know why many NTs find bugs icky. Granted, I wouldn't handle a poisonous snake or scorpion, for ex., only because I could get hurt - otherwise I would. Perfectly OK with performing surgical procedures (i.e., perfusions).

Like you, I don't care, at all, if something is sticky or runny (i.e., chemical) and often am curious as to what the substance is. Exception: For practical reasons, if I suspect (or know) that particular reagent IS noxious or dangerous, then I'll not touch it, obviously. No problem with dead flies, etc. I've picked up dead birds off the sidewalk, for example. I'm not afraid of dead things and have seen dead people without any provocation. In fact, it's somewhat reassuring if someone is dead that I see the remains, just to affirm they are in fact dead.

This weekend, on a hike, I was curious about the mushrooms found and felt them with my hands. I noticed the others would not touch it. Perhaps similarly, from what you wrote, I always look when I have blood drawn (from me), because I have no "creep-out" factor. If I have a minor injury, like a cut, I wipe up the blood with my hands. Same thing.

jc6chan: I have wondered about this too. Good question, actually. I use my hands A LOT (!), more than most anyone I know, and I have felt my way around; I may seem to other as if I am blind/vision-impaired. In fact, I have been asked, by strangers, on occasion, if I am vision-impaired for this very reason. Much like Helen Keller, I feel my way to navigate. So I don't mind touching things. I'd venture to guess it has to do with our senses....or lack of :)

* I do remember once (not too long ago), I was REALLY curious about this yellow sticky adhesive in a bucket. I put my bare hand in the bucket to feel.....oh no! One I was with had to wash my hands with pure acetone until my hands were raw and nearly bloody. That hurt. I had to wear gloves with vaseline/cortisonne on my skin until I healed.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 10:35 pm

LabPet wrote:
have seen dead people without any provocation. In fact, it's somewhat reassuring if someone is dead that I see the remains, just to affirm they are in fact dead.

Dead people? Did you call the police?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 10:45 pm

jc6chan wrote:
LabPet wrote:
have seen dead people without any provocation. In fact, it's somewhat reassuring if someone is dead that I see the remains, just to affirm they are in fact dead.

Dead people? Did you call the police?

Oh, no! I should have clarified (sorry) - I meant at a memorial service. Once I saw someone at the hospital who had just died - I was sad (because I did want him to die), but OK with seeing the body in that it was sort-of reassuring. I would certainly call 911 if I found a body - wow! I am very sensitive; if I see a dog in traffic, for ex., I am worried/distressed - but that's another topic.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 11:45 pm

Evidently hygiene is a big issue for us. Or NTs, depending on how you view it.

I don't kill bugs with my bare hands; I see them as pathogen mass-transit. The plague was spread by rodents, Malaria is spread by mosquitoes. Lake water is also rich with microbes.

But I do wipe my hands on clothing and forget about it often.

But they do not have me

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 11:47 pm

I am the exact opposite. I have textural issues for sure. I cannot stand if something sticky or wet gets on me.

For bugs and other stuff, yeah, I don't mind them.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 11:55 pm

LabPet wrote:
That's a peculiar post, BUT, after I read......likewise. To explain: I don't get "creeped-out" by events that (many) NTs might. For example, I can look at/handle bloody brains (or equivalent, depending upon what I am doing) and have absolutely no misgivings or repulsions in any way. I am not afraid, at all, of spider or snakes, for example, and I like to touch them. I really do not know why many NTs find bugs icky. Granted, I wouldn't handle a poisonous snake or scorpion, for ex., only because I could get hurt - otherwise I would. Perfectly OK with performing surgical procedures (i.e., perfusions).

Aww, cool! You get to work with brains! Human brains? Are you working with these as a pathologist or are you doing them for neuroscience?

When I was a small kid, I would cry when my hands got dirty if I couldn't wash them right away. That dry, dusty feel and various other anomalous sensations were not liked!

I could never watch getting blood drawn. I could watch anything else, but I hate needles!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:47 am

sgrannel wrote:
LabPet wrote:

Aww, cool! You get to work with brains! Human brains? Are you working with these as a pathologist or are you doing them for neuroscience?

When I was a small kid, I would cry when my hands got dirty if I couldn't wash them right away. That dry, dusty feel and various other anomalous sensations were not liked!

I could never watch getting blood drawn. I could watch anything else, but I hate needles!

We cannot manipulate human brains due to ethics, understandably - neuroscience. But right in that pathologists (and related) do.

I think my 1st priority is to explore/sense/identify, then I do clean-up as I am, by nature, clean and neat. But this may be more an issue of practicality - I like to consider myself practical :wink: (or so I'd like to believe). I don't like how chalk feels either.

Needles seem to be a universal no-no. Maybe due to pain being the motivating factor :pale:

This topic has generated a lot of answers......I guess we do sense differently.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:53 am

I'm weird. I couldn't be forced to give a rat's arse about how dirty my pants are, my keyboard, the kitchen counter, etc.

I am however very cautious about chemicals and the like. I will freak out if I spill gasoline on my shoe for instance.

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2010, 1:22 am

If my clothes are dirty and stuff I do care when I'm going out. If I'm on my own I don't care.

About hygiene, it depends on what the 'dirty stuff' is. Keeping children away from pets and washing your hands every 10 minutes is extreme behavior if you ask me, but washing your hands after a toilet visit is kinda required.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 1:27 am

I don't get grossed out or feel dirty in terms of germs or bacteria. I am motivated to preform proper hygiene based on satisfying sensory stuff or looking good (it's usually sensory though). Like I wash my hair if it feels greasy and is bothering me, or I want it to look good for something. I wash my hands if they have residue from something on them, etc.

NearlyaHuman
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2010, 1:34 am

A lot of responses like that are cultural/ related to status. I found that girls will more often do this.
For example, some people feel the need to dust every day, and use expensive cleaners on their furniture, or else it is a "dirty" room. More often middle class to rich will do this it seems to me. Some people think all used clothing, or used items, are "dirty". Many people today seem oddly concerned with invisible "germs" .
And then in some places in Africa, people are perfectly fine with having an open sewer next to their house.

I'm not grossed out by much, except with smells. As a child I was always picking up frogs, worms, and touching everything.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2010, 1:48 am

hale_bopp wrote:
dirty feeling? I am always washing my hands because they feel dirty from stuff i touch. I used to have an irrational fear of germs though. I hate the feel of sticky and have to watch my hands afterwards.

I am the same way, I wash my hands a lot everyday and am very conscious about germs.