Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pinkquinn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2006, 9:46 pm

Hi
I currently live in California, where I understand we have excellent resources alocated for LH and Autism

I am considering moving to Austin Texas. Does anybody know about or have experience dealing with their public school system in regards to austim?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I dont even know where to start.

Thanks
p

ster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 7:20 am

sorry to say, i've never been to TX or CA

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2006, 4:00 pm

Hi! I live in West Texas, and would be glad to hook you up with some local information. Just PM me.

I'm not in Austin, but I have to say that compared to what I've read from parents in other places, I've had little to no trouble with the schools, they have been very accomodating.

As far as the state itself, unless you qualify for state aid, you won't get much from them. We do have a couple of programs that sound great on paper, until you sign up. I did last year. Then you find out there's a waiting period. Of 8 YEARS. My son was 10. You do the math. LOL Pretty worthless.

That said, we've not really needed any help outside of what the school has provided. We may be just lucky, I don't know. Our son is 11, btw, just finishing up 5th grade, and was dx'd with AS a year ago.

pinkquinn

23 Apr 2006, 12:18 pm

Thanks alot I will PM you when I start collecting info!! !! !! !! !! !! !!