Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 5:29 pm

Does anybody else here find that they have an unusual connection with animals and very young children? Primarily that they seem to be drawn to you without provocation/instigation from you?

Children I think is only relevant after a certain age as I don't remember it being the case when I was younger.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 5:33 pm

im scared of animals and they know it o_O

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2010, 6:07 pm

Yes, I get on great with both. I find children a lot easier to communicate with than adults, though I get tired fast when I'm with them. Animals are just a pleasure to be with and they're usually very relaxed around me.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 6:12 pm

Well I don't like a lot of animals but they really seem to like me. It's because I'm quite and approachable to them because I don't make eye contact. Cats are especially attracted to me, and dogs like me too even though I'm not big on them.
I did notice that children always seem to be interested in me. When I'm visiting my friends and relatives and theres a large group of people children will always approach me to come play with them because I look very young and seem youthful, also I'm quite and I seem different from other adults a little immature and so they always want me to come play because I look a little lonely, but I like cartoons and kid stuff and I don't mind spending time with kids. I'm just so much like a kid myself some days. Sometimes adult discussions really do bore me to tears so it's nice to pretend to be the bigger adult making sure the kids are entertained while everyone else buggers off about their miserable personal lives LOL.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 6:13 pm

Animals in general adore me. I have a particularly strong/special connection with cats. For example, everyone who comes over to my house, even strangers, comment on how attached my Miss Kitty is to me. In fact, I don't think I've ever met a cat who didn't like me.

Children, on the other hand... well... they're very cautious/distrustful of me. It's because it's obvious that I don't "operate" the same way that most adults do, and it confuses children. They're unsure of how to react to me.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 7:02 pm

Wuffles wrote:
Yes, I get on great with both. I find children a lot easier to communicate with than adults, though I get tired fast when I'm with them. Animals are just a pleasure to be with and they're usually very relaxed around me.

I can communicate slightly better with children but still have huge issues and feel uncomfortable still, they just don't seem to notice for some reason?!?!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 7:04 pm

I love animals. :O)

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 7:06 pm

Angel_ryan wrote:
Well I don't like a lot of animals but they really seem to like me. It's because I'm quite and approachable to them because I don't make eye contact.

I have no problem whatsoever with eye contact with animals and never have. Don't know why as have always had with humans!

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2010, 8:14 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Does anybody else here find that they have an unusual connection with animals and very young children? Primarily that they seem to be drawn to you without provocation/instigation from you?

Children I think is only relevant after a certain age as I don't remember it being the case when I was younger.

I'm good with children from the time they're potty trained through most of grade school. As for animals a few weeks ago someone's pitbull licked my hand and tried to follow me home.

seaside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2010, 8:26 pm

Yes and yes. I adore animals and love making friends with them--- all my life! And small kids mob me without my doing anything about it. They probably know I'm on the inside. (i.e. I like their kid stuff still...)

RockSword
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2010, 9:24 pm

The first search I did when joining this site today was "Animals" because I've had a personal theory that our minds (or maybe just mine) are somehow missing some functions of the normal human brain, and therefore we can associate better with the simpler brains of the other mammals.

That is not to say we're not intelligent; in fact I think the opposite, as we probably more use the intelligence (especially logical) part of the brain due to the fact that we are not using the other functions. But some social functions of our brains are less active, as I believe they are in most other mammals. I wonder if we get along better with cats than dogs in general, as cats are less social. I get along with both, grew up with both, and have both now, but I identify better with the cats. Both cats and dogs associate well with me, and I tend to be their best friend in the household, even if they are not my pet.

Like another poster, I never have had difficulty looking into the eyes of animals, but I am extremely uncomfortable looking into the eyes of my own species. Thus, I am horrible at interviews, but excel at work.

Maybe there is something to the old saying that the eyes are the mirror to the soul, and maybe we are uncomfortable reading or letting other people read so deeply.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 9:37 pm

I have a special connection with both animals and children. They're very easy for me to get along with. I've always been that way.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2010, 9:41 pm

Unfortunately, small children are drawn to me. I don't feel comfortable with small children, especially since they're so fragile and unpredictable. Animals aren't drawn to me, but they usually let me approach them.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 9:49 pm

Yes, this is an excellent question. I do get along very well with children and animal -- always wondered why, but never knew. I still don't know. That being said, I really don't like little children very well and I don't like most animals. Go figure.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 9:59 pm

I love cats, but get along with most animals. I really don't like children though. They are noisy and constantly moving.
Actually, if they are quiet, calm children, then I get along with them. But most seem to be the noisy rambunctious kind, and they all seem pretty wary of me as well.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 10:06 pm

Yes, animals seem to like me and it's definitely mutual. I love them all, even the ugly poisonous ones.

Small children stare at me with that blank look. I suspect I stare back in exactly the same way.

Once this summer I was on the swings at the playground and this little girl of about 7 came to swing beside me. After a few minutes she started up a conversation with me, but not as a child to an adult, rather peer to peer. She understood me and it was great. I think I was older than her parents, but no one seemed to notice.