Would you be offended by a South Park episode about Aspies?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Would you be offended by a South Park episode on Aspies?
Yes I would be 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
No I wouldn't be 72%  72%  [ 47 ]
I don't really watch South Park 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 65

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2010, 7:58 pm

Personnaly I wouldn't.South Park makes fun of every stereotypes and social groups.It isn't hateful.One of the producers of the serie is Jew,and South Park frequently make fun of Jews.Also,South Park may be offensive,but it also makes fun of racism itself and criticise our own society,pointing out how ridiculous we can be.So this is why I'm perfectly for an Asperger episode of South Park.

What is your opinion?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 8:03 pm

South park is meant to be offensive so I wouldn't take it personally.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 8:08 pm

Although I agree with the above comments, it would also depend upon the storyline and the jokes. I would not take it personally, but I am very protective of my people.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 8:10 pm

If the TS show is any indication, then the SP makers will probably be one of the few shows that gets what AS is correct (other than the excessive cursing but that was more for the storyline than to show TS).

No, I would not be offended at all.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 8:21 pm

I love south park and I'd be offended if they didn't include AS. I would love to just laugh at myself at the hands of writers who mock everyone equally. If they didn't it would mean Autism isn't relevant enough to be included and that is a show of insult.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 9:09 pm

I don't watch south park, but AS related jokes tend to bother me when they are difficult for me to understand or compare us to crazy/bipolar or mentally ret*d people, etc.

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2010, 9:39 pm

I should qualify that I haven't watched South Park in over 10 years; didn't even realize it was still on! Well-written parodies of anything deserve watching - as a group, if we Aspies can't laugh at ourselves, then NT's will do it for us and it won't be nice either!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 9:52 pm

I wish there was one on AS. I have even written a story about it which I never finished.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 9:55 pm

It would probably be one of my favorite episodes assuming they get it right (which they probably would). I mean if the whole episode was like the one where Eric is killing hippies or something I'd be mad. Timmy or Jimmy episodes....no hate.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 10:29 pm

As long as they don't take the Michael Savage/Dennis Leary line that people with Asperger's are faking it.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2010, 11:00 pm

I probably wouldn't be, because I don't watch it.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 1:52 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
As long as they don't take the Michael Savage/Dennis Leary line that people with Asperger's are faking it.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Ditto. That would just be ignorant, and probably not funny to anyone.

I don't watch South Park, but if they made an AS episode I might watch it.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Italianwolf77
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 4:56 pm

I wouldn't be offended at all. Its South Park, they make fun of everyone equally.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 6:03 pm

TIMMAY!! !

I mean...if they made a point at the end of the episode about society's unwillingness to accept people who just prefer to be alone and gets really stressed out by social interaction, and the other side - the social isolation that comes with Autism spectrum disorders and the depression that may follow as a result.

But honestly, i havent watched SP since season 3 or 4. I watched the "Make love, not warcraft" episode, but nothing after that.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 6:06 pm

Ichinin wrote:
TIMMAY!! !

I mean...if they made a point at the end of the episode about society's unwillingness to accept people who just prefer to be alone and gets really stressed out by social interaction, and the other side - the social isolation that comes with Autism spectrum disorders and the depression that may follow as a result.

But honestly, i havent watched SP since season 3 or 4. I watched the "Make love, not warcraft" episode, but nothing after that.

I think they would handle it alright. There's usually a common sense message at the end anyway.

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2010, 9:10 pm

Angel_ryan wrote:
I love south park and I'd be offended if they didn't include AS. I would love to just laugh at myself at the hands of writers who mock everyone equally. If they didn't it would mean Autism isn't relevant enough to be included and that is a show of insult.

Pretty much this. On the other hand I'm not surprised they haven't included AS/Autism yet. Not exactly as mainstream. I think with Arthur and In Plain Sight having episodes with AS characters, it shouldn't be long before we see South Park follow suit.