Does any of you know how or want to drive a motorcycle?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 1:45 pm

<-------

To start with, you drive a wagon, and ride a bike.

In most places, you get a regular drivers license, then a motorcycle endorsment.

There are a few more problems running on two wheels, such as front and rear brakes are not equal, and cars rarely fall over.

For starting out, it is much safer to learn your way around in traffic in a car.

As new drivers do have more accidents, a well insured car. This is a world of two ton metal objects flying around, stopping suddenly, and learning the game it is best to have a full metal jacket.

Everyone out there, driving, walking, is an idiot talking on a cell phone.

It is best to learn to drive in a car, and maybe a year later a small motorcycle. Learning another system is best done with something small, for you can feel it. At the same time, in the US, anything smaller than a 250cc is not safe on the highway, it just does not have the weight.

Passing trucks first blow you away, then suck you in, just as you have compensated for being blown away. Small bikes also are running full out at highway speeds, so there is nothing left.

The American problem is middle aged men buying a big bike, which is no place to learn, and a lot of them die. Motorcycles are more like aircraft, everything has to be in perfect working order, and the operator has to be trained, and even then, there is still danger.

As someone who has ridden since 1960, I am with your dad on this, learn to drive first, a small car, for the most danger is in the first six months. Humans do dumb things, you are human, beware!

When I ride, it is Road Warrior, Carhartt double canvas clothing, boots to the knee, helmet, gloves, eye protection. There is much better riding gear now, Kevlar and Spectra, carbon fiber plates at shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, wrist, at about $1,000, but worth it when sliding down the pavement at 60.

The good BMW helmet costs $1,000-$1,200, the saying is, "If you have a $100 head, buy a $100 helmet."

Start with a car, and read the instructions. This is learning machines, like check the oil, tire pressure, water, brake fluid. Expect that everyone out there is trying to kill you, they are.

When I say trust no one, this means you too!

One step at a time and sure footed all the way.

Traffic is not the place to learn how to stop a motorcycle going full speed as fast as possible, and you should know this well before getting in traffic.

After a year in a car you can think about motorcycle training, maybe a little dirt bike racing, tracks are safer, it is a sport, that can run on the roads.

Listen to your dad, he likes you.

sylvr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2010, 2:21 pm

I would love to learn how to ride (and maintain) a motorcycle, even though it wouldn't 'suit' me. :lol:

....but after reading all of the above perhaps I don't. :?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 62 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:42 pm

richie wrote:
Back in the late 1980s I had a motorcycle license and I rode a 250 cc Honda Helix scooter and then a 600 cc V-twin Honda Shadow.

my late father rode a helix, and i have to say that was one classy ride. it got 80+ miles per gallon with a heavy hand, it rode smoothly over broken pavement like a caddilac and could ride all day at 70+ MPH and stay calm and collected. but i really have no business on 2-wheels as i am totally too slow and clumsy, with poor reflexes. otherwise i'd be riding one now.