Does any of you know how or want to drive a motorcycle?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2010, 1:53 am

Okay I admit the title isn't quite specific so here it goes:-

Basically my Dad's been pressuring me to get my driver's license just because I can get a good job (in other words, for money). He wants me to get a car license so that I can get a job in case things don't work out for me (yeah I admit my Dad's really pessimistic). Now I really want my driver's license but I'd rather drive a motorcycle than a car (Okay some of you have met me before and I admit that I don't look "biker-like" but can't we all dream?). But I'm just wondering: I know some of you have cars but does any of you know how to drive a motorcycle? Do you own one? Or do you want to? Feel free to tell me. Oh and if you don't know how to drive a bike, don't own a bike, don't want to, don't reply. The same goes to those who don't know how to drive or don't even want to.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 2:23 am

I went to a motorcycle safety class and got my license. In the US if you take the class, you don't have to take the driving test if you just do the class. It's good practice anyway. I have a TW200 which is a dual sport--you can take it off road or on, it's street legal. It's only 200cc so it's easy for beginners. The service manual is fairly easy for people like me who have no clue what they're doing working on bikes.

I love riding it, I don't know how I'd handle riding on the road. I've only off-roaded so far. I suggest doing a safety class. And there are super cool scooters which are easier to handle (just click and go) than bikes. I've used two forums to learn about bikes (just lurked really). I am still pretty interested in them, so I'd love to talk to you about them if you stay interested/have questions about them.

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum.php
http://advrider.com/
^both good...the second might not always give the best beginner (or cost friendly) advice, though. But millions of posts.

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2010, 2:23 am

I've always had bikes since about 1975 when I was old enough to get a license. Then in about 1998 I started driving lessons and passed my car test because the test was just about to become harder and more expensive. After I passed the test I never drove a car again for 5 years until I had to get a van for work. If it wasn't for work I would never drive a car again, I love bikes.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 3:18 am

i have a car &scooter and i also know how to drive motorcycle i just dont have money for lisence

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 4:23 am

My balance isn't that good. I like looking at motorcycles and scooters, though. I prefer scooters, but motorcycles are also pretty cool, as well, and especially the ones with the vintage bodywork. 8)

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 4:54 am

I almost bought an FZR600 for $200 with no carbs with plans to convert it to fuel injection and drag race it.

I don't think I'd ever drive a motorcycle on the street though. I'm about 90% sure I'd die. I'd be on the interstate getting on an on-ramp, open the throttle and SMACK down on the ground and dead. Or driving down a deserted country road on a rainy day and the wheels lock when I go to brake, similar death. Or it could be something less driver-error related like a teenager in a Toyota Celica merging into my lane at 90mph. Balance isn't my problem, if anything I'm balanced enough to be a stunt biker. It's my lead foot that ruins everything, I break speed limits turning corners sometimes.

I would really enjoy driving something that requires motorcycle endorsement though (and has a motorcycle engine)
Campagna T-Rex with the Aero 3S body kit :hail:

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 5:13 am

It rains too much here to ride a motorcycle. I would rather ride safely and confortably with a nice roof over my head and heated seats :)

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 5:37 am

I got my bike license 18 months before the car one but my parents (yeah, it was that long ago) insisted that I also buy leathers and a full face helmet. After coming off at 45 Mph I appreciated the wisdom of their advice.

Yes, bikes can be fun, but get the right gear and watch out for the bozos.

Vanilla_Slice

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jul 2010, 9:32 am

I've been riding motorcycles (street bikes and dirt bikes) since I was 13 or 14, and love it. However, I wouldn't want to have a motorcycle as my only daily transportation. There's no reason I can think of, why an Aspie shouldn't ride. Most of us are more cautious and sensible than NT people anyway. And as far as "biker type", neither am I. I think in 2010, there is no "biker type" anymore. Heck; I was a library nerd, and anything BUT a cool biker. If it's something you want to do, GO for it!! ! But be safe, and know your limits. Don't ever get too confident for your experience, or jump on a higher-skill level bike than you are ready for. If you obey that rule, you will have plenty of years to get the experience you need.

If it's cost you're thinking about, you might want to do some figures, and check the cost of insurance. In many places, motorcyclists pay higher insurance rates than car drivers, and you can't really ride in foul weather if it's your only transportation. So you might wind up paying cab or bus/train fare along with the cost of having the bike.

Charles

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 12:01 pm

Can mine be a lime green, 69 Harley?

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2010, 1:52 pm

I got my license and rode for a little while, but a bad driver nearly killed me and so I stopped and let the license expire. Too many bad drivers out there--driving a car is dangerous enough for me.

But riding a motorcycle is amazing! I just finished reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and found myself longing to be back on a bike. There's really nothing else like it.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 4:03 pm

Peddled or not, bikes are hot.

:eew: my mind did not just produce that bit of nonsense. ><

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 6:34 pm

I have a 1979 Harley Shovelhead, which I rebuilt from the ground up, and a 1997 Honda Valkyrie.

eagletalon86
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2010, 9:00 am

I can drive a car, a motorcycle should take little to no effort on my part. The only thing keeping me from doing that is a lack of money and the safety concerns...in a 4 door sedan, you don't need a helmet driving on public roads and you don't need to worry about some random chunk of debris or insect hitting you in the eye or mouth.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2010, 10:49 am

Francis wrote:
I have a 1979 Harley Shovelhead, which I rebuilt from the ground up.

You win, hands down!

Way back a few years before I got my license, an old guy in my neighborhood offered to teach me to ride on his Indian. I turned the offer down because I never could have lived with myself if I dropped it, but touching it was thrilling enough--it was in beautiful condition, don't remember the year but it had a suicide shift. It was such a nice thing for him to offer.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jul 2010, 11:25 am

Back in the late 1980s I had a motorcycle license and I rode a 250 cc Honda Helix scooter and then a 600 cc V-twin Honda Shadow.