Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
And please realize of course that this is what we sometimes inflict on others!

Ah yes! I'm a talker! talk talk talk Psychology. I think looking back I drove the psychology teacher a little crazy LOL!

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2010, 2:30 am

Aimless wrote:
How do you feel when you are with someone who literally never stops talking? I just got back from this scenario and my teeth are still on edge. I get overloaded and I want to scream. I feel like my brain is being punched. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't all prattle.

Aimless wrote:
If you are familiar with the concept of "monkey mind" then I will explain by saying this person verbalizes her monkey mind.
It's constant verbal stream of consciousness with no pauses.

I know exactly the kind of prattle you mean, and I consider it noise pollution and a boundary violation of my hearing sense. It makes me hostile if the person goes on and on and they either ignore all admonitions to STFU or I can't get away from them. I get the urge to shove the closest object I can find into their mouth in order to stop the onslaught of verbal diarrhea.

There's absolutely no point to it. It's basically them verbalizing EVERY SINGLE inane, random, idiotic, thought that happens to enter their tiny brain and then having the arrogance to think that every single person in hearing vicinity ACTUALLY wants to hear it! :evil:

That's the difference between monkey mind and an Autie or Aspie who gets on a roll talking about a topic of interest. At least if you interrupt and say excuse me, the person will realize they've gone on past your interest. With monkey minds they'll barely stop to breathe and then start up again like nothing happened. It's insufferable.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 2:58 am

I'm one of those people that talks a lot.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 5:21 am

crocus wrote:

Quote:
That's the difference between monkey mind and an Autie or Aspie who gets on a roll talking about a topic of interest. At least if you interrupt and say excuse me, the person will realize they've gone on past your interest. With monkey minds they'll barely stop to breathe and then start up again like nothing happened. It's insufferable.

This is what I mean. I wouldn't mind listening to someone talking about their special interest.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 8:34 am

Slip something in their beer, that will help, to shut them up. :twisted: :lol:

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2010, 8:42 am

My mom can ramble on about pointless crap continuously, and she does it sometimes even when I'm not paying attention (e.g. watching TV, on my computer, etc.). I just kinda zone out, and ignore it. Most of the time she barely even notices when she does it.

Last edited by JCpatriots on 05 Jul 2010, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 8:57 am

people rarely prattle on at me because it is obvious to them that i am not listening.

if they persist, i tell them i am sorry but they are wasting their time talking to me because i am not interested.

when i used to go to taverns to eat, and people would sit at my table and try to strike up a conversation while i was doing my crossword, i kept my pen tip on the paper and winced at them while they said their sentence, and as soon as they took a breath, i would look back down and continue writing. most people got the hint unless they were drunk. if they were drunk, i just got up and went to another table.

once while someone was talking to me, i imagined that i would tell them i am now in "consultant" mode, and pull out a meter (like a taxi meter) and switch it on to show in dollars and cents, how much i expected to be paid for my time spent listening to them. i imagined them talking very rapidly like a race caller to save money.

that thought made me laugh, and they thought i was laughing at whatever it was that they said, and it accentuated their fervor. that made me laugh even harder, and i could not stop laughing even after what they were saying apparently became serious.
they then thought i was a nut and so they picked up their stuff and left.
i was left laughing extremely severely at their final facial expression as they left.

if i am somewhere where i am not obliged to stay, then i will just walk away from them with out saying anything while they are talking.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 9:12 am

Aimless wrote:
How do you feel when you are with someone who literally never stops talking? I just got back from this scenario and my teeth are still on edge. I get overloaded and I want to scream. I feel like my brain is being punched.

I actually met another Aspie at summer school two years ago, and to be honest, I wanted to die. For half an hour, everything that I accomplished in my life did not matter and I wanted to die. He talked about DC Comics nonstop the entire time. A friend of mine and I were walking to the place that the carpool parent picked us up at, and he followed us. I said "I don't want to have a conversation or lecture about comics, I'm really tired." I asked him to be quiet like 4 times....I couldn't ignore it..:evil: I felt so much pressure in my head that I wanted to rip my brain out. I was very close to just flipping. He wouldn't stop.When I saw my mom in her car I calmed down though. I think I probably would have grabbed him and shook him around like I was trying to get the cheese powder out of the bag for my macaroni and told him to JUST SHUT UP but alas there was no need at that point. I know, I'm an awful person. Whatever.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 9:20 am

Remind me not to meet you guys! :lol:

I can't deny it, every thought in my head comes out! It's like impulse or something. Some people say that what I talk about is fascinatig though so it is not sort of random nothingness but constant thoughtfullness!

but yes, I can understand why other people might find that annoying :)

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 9:23 am

I don't react to all hyper talkers this way. There's something about some people; they have this weird kind of energy that demands that you pay attention to them, something about their voice maybe, and you cannot tune them out. This is someone I've posted about before. I gave her a ride to the grocery store as she doesn't drive. That's not a huge deal for me, I'm happy to help her out, but literally before I've driven 1 block away from her house I want to scream. It's literally her internal dialogue spoken out loud.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 9:33 am

Aimless wrote:
I don't react to all hyper talkers this way. There's something about some people; they have this weird kind of energy that demands that you pay attention to them, something about their voice maybe, and you cannot tune them out.

It doesn't happen to me often :oops: that was the only time I could think of in which I didn't just drown someone annoying out with my own thoughts.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:25 am

Megatalk topic

I rarely do this now, but if so it is due to a special interest, NOT small talk, which is pointless.

If someone wants not to listen to one of my lectures s/he just says they have to go, and I say: See you later. Obviously, that person is not interested. Very few are. So I write or read or specifically seek out persons who share my interest(s). The latter is not a real option at this time.

Some people do forget that not everyone is interested. They get caught up in the passion. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

eagletalon86
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2010, 10:34 am

I try to get involved if the conversation is interesting (give and take works wonders y'know), otherwise I'll find an excuse to weasel my way out of it. I don't know if anyone's mentioned it by now, but it's a known fact that some of us do the exact same thing. Look at it this way, if you want to be listened to then you have to do the same.

If they go on about the same thing OVER AND OVER AGAIN....now that calls for an appropriate course of action :evil:

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2010, 8:08 pm

book_noodles wrote:
Aimless wrote:
How do you feel when you are with someone who literally never stops talking? I just got back from this scenario and my teeth are still on edge. I get overloaded and I want to scream. I feel like my brain is being punched.

I actually met another Aspie at summer school two years ago, and to be honest, I wanted to die. For half an hour, everything that I accomplished in my life did not matter and I wanted to die. He talked about DC Comics nonstop the entire time. A friend of mine and I were walking to the place that the carpool parent picked us up at, and he followed us. I said "I don't want to have a conversation or lecture about comics, I'm really tired." I asked him to be quiet like 4 times....I couldn't ignore it..:evil: I felt so much pressure in my head that I wanted to rip my brain out. I was very close to just flipping. He wouldn't stop.When I saw my mom in her car I calmed down though. I think I probably would have grabbed him and shook him around like I was trying to get the cheese powder out of the bag for my macaroni and told him to JUST SHUT UP but alas there was no need at that point. I know, I'm an awful person. Whatever.

Honestly, he probably has a pretty severe case of Aspergers and didn't realise that nobody was listening/interested, etc. He didn't pick up on it. It's what most Aspies are known for, boring the crap out of other people with stuff they don't want to listen to, but pretend to care about. We've all done it before, and not realised it, and he probably didn't realise it.

insincere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2010, 2:00 am

You ever see two story toppers go at it? "ohh yeah, well this one time I..." I couldn't believe they didn't see how ridiculous they were being. It just kept going, I felt like just saying okay, bring the penis's out guys and get this over with

NeverEnder
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2010, 3:25 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
But again, I can real easily get into my mode of all-sending, no-receiving.

Can't you?

I am accused of this and I now believe... it's true.

And I'll be your ghost.