Prospective Aspie--curious about visuospatial problems

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

olso4644
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2010, 12:45 am

Okay, I may have Asperger's syndrome. I am not sure, but i am also a little hesitant on trusting my psychiatrist. I have been diagnosed or misdiagnosed with showing pre-dronal symptoms of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, general anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and on and on and on. Anyway, most of what i know of Asperger's comes from the little my doctor told me, the first page of google, and of course, wikipedia.

First off, the doctor called it nonverbal learning disorder. I get the feeling from websites that that is the same thing as Aspergers? I think?

One of the big symptoms seem to have to do with visuospatial difficulties and general clumsiness. I am not all that clumsy. In fact, in high school i was a rather good basketball player, however there are certain quirks i possess that would fall under this category, and i was curious if anyone else had these and associated them with aspergers.

I had a terrible, terrible, fear of playing baseball and hockey because the objects moved too fast, and every time i saw them coming towards me i would seriously cower beneath my hands. I ended up almost failing high school gym despite being very athletic and loving most sports, because i refused to go to gym class on those days.

I could never play that flinching game in middle school either, where the kid fakes you out, and if you flinch they punch u on the shoulder because i would no matter what flinch. And watching movies. There is a scene in Harry potter 2, i particularly remember where the quaffle is going straight towards the screen, and i flinch every time i see that.

Also, im a very good driver, but i have an intense belief that i will die in a car crash, and if there is construction going on i get really really tense (though i don't think that that is all that different from most people)

And i notice that i take a billion times longer to tie my shoe than anyone else. I don't know, i guess i was just wondering if others had similar issues.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 1:10 am

I totally do! I even did a lot research myself because I had to. One thing I noticed was that AS and Schizophrenia symptomatically look very similar, a lot of the negative symptoms match up where as the positive symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations don't. Another thing is that Dyslexia it's more than just a reading problem, it affects your visual interpretation of the world. Bipolar seems to be extremely co-morbid with Autism spectrum disorders. Aside from that this my list of Disabilities Aspergers, Audio processing disorder, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia, OCD, schizotypal personality disorder, Bipolar depressive type, and sever Anxiety disorder. My doctor and I tend to only focus on the bipolar depression and categorized everything else under Autism.

olso4644
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2010, 1:25 am

yeah, that would definitely make sense, i guess.

The first thing i was diagnosed with was schizophrenia. After explaining to that doctor my thought process--i used a metaphor to explain how i was always to close to my thoughts. Like it was difficult for me to think sometimes because i was staring at my thoughts through a magnifying lens, and i couldn't see all of it. They were too big. And the doctor got really excited, no joke, because he immediately assumed i was showing signs of schizophrenia.

And yeah, i definitely show a lot of signs of bipolar disorder. I can go from severely depressed to euphoric in a matter of minutes.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 1:45 am

I have spatial issues. I'm scared of knives cuz I constantly cut myself cutting vegetables. I seem to misjudge the distance between stairs so, if I'm not looking down at them, I trip and fall. I can't read maps at all. It's like a foreign language. I can't drive or ride a bike on a road where I'd have to contend with others.

But I can play baseball and I'm also good at bowling. I can roll a really accurate ball time after time.

So I'm not sure what's up here.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 2:00 am

olso4644 wrote:
yeah, that would definitely make sense, i guess.

The first thing i was diagnosed with was schizophrenia. After explaining to that doctor my thought process--i used a metaphor to explain how i was always to close to my thoughts. Like it was difficult for me to think sometimes because i was staring at my thoughts through a magnifying lens, and i couldn't see all of it. They were too big. And the doctor got really excited, no joke, because he immediately assumed i was showing signs of schizophrenia.

OH MAN!! ! I'VE DONE STUFF LIKE THAT TOO!! ! LOL
You should've been there it was hilarious
I constantly talk in metaphors it wasn't until he realized THAT!! ! That the Schiz label disappeared from above my head, although not completely though I got away with schizotypal.
This thread has a very good example of my schizotypal ways
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2886180 ... t=#2886180

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:33 am

One thing which first drew the attention of the medical community to people with AS, was the tendency for those with AS to be clumsy or dynamically awkward.

I do not believe that those with AS are particularly clumsy in the traditional drop things, bump into things, and trip over things way. Rather I think it is more relating to the issue I describe below.

I think many of us have slow processing speeds and that can translate to slow reaction times as we process the incoming information and figure out how to adjust our positions or execute a maneuver accordingly.

This can affect anything from driving to secret handshakes to walking along side another person without bumping into them.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:27 am

Chronos wrote:
This can affect anything from driving to secret handshakes to walking along side another person without bumping into them.

Do this ALL the time.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 9:52 am

Vispatability topic

This depth perception comorbid ruins my ability to drive, but does not impair my visual thoughts. It is a cerebellar issue. :(

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 7:47 pm

olso4644 wrote:
Okay, I may have Asperger's syndrome. I am not sure, but i am also a little hesitant on trusting my psychiatrist. I have been diagnosed or misdiagnosed with showing pre-dronal symptoms of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, general anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and on and on and on. Anyway, most of what i know of Asperger's comes from the little my doctor told me, the first page of google, and of course, wikipedia.

First off, the doctor called it nonverbal learning disorder. I get the feeling from websites that that is the same thing as Aspergers? I think?

One of the big symptoms seem to have to do with visuospatial difficulties and general clumsiness. I am not all that clumsy. In fact, in high school i was a rather good basketball player, however there are certain quirks i possess that would fall under this category, and i was curious if anyone else had these and associated them with aspergers.

I had a terrible, terrible, fear of playing baseball and hockey because the objects moved too fast, and every time i saw them coming towards me i would seriously cower beneath my hands. I ended up almost failing high school gym despite being very athletic and loving most sports, because i refused to go to gym class on those days.

I could never play that flinching game in middle school either, where the kid fakes you out, and if you flinch they punch u on the shoulder because i would no matter what flinch. And watching movies. There is a scene in Harry potter 2, i particularly remember where the quaffle is going straight towards the screen, and i flinch every time i see that.

Also, im a very good driver, but i have an intense belief that i will die in a car crash, and if there is construction going on i get really really tense (though i don't think that that is all that different from most people)

And i notice that i take a billion times longer to tie my shoe than anyone else. I don't know, i guess i was just wondering if others had similar issues.

---

Words: Dyspraxia (mild, moderate, severe), gross and fine motor control, crossing the midline of the body, body balance, eye tracking objects (such as baseballs, footballs), perception of motion, motion blindness, mild cerebral palsy, visual-spatial difficulties, apraxia, constructional apraxia, sensory integration, whole vs parts, Magic Eye 3-D materials, eye-hand coordination, etc.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 2:14 am

olso4644 wrote:

I've never been scared by fast moving objects, if anything, I've been fascinated by them. I used to get shot while playing paintball because I'd get side tracked watching the paintballs flying by. When something like that is approaching me it seems to slow down, even though paintballs travel at about 200mph I didn't have any trouble seeing them flying around me. When I was little I would throw rocks in the air because I like watching them fall back straight at my face, I'd wait until the very last second to step out of the way or catch them.

I too am I very good driver, though I've never been very worried about crashing, same goes with construction sites, if anything I'm to casual around them.

The shoe thing is a HUGE problem for me, when I was a kid it would sometimes take more then an hour for me to put my shoes on, It drove my parents crazy. Even now that I'm a "grown-up" I still struggle with my shoes, it take 2-3 times longer to put them on then it takes most people.