Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2010, 1:27 pm

I hate this, my mom is in Chicago and she ignores my text messages. It's hard enough having people outside my family doing but, but she does it too. I Hate IT!

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jul 2010, 1:30 pm

what happens when you call?

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2010, 1:39 pm

When I call she picks up, and I ask her if she saw it and she says "yes". Are you saying I should just call her and quit texting her?

heatherbabes
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jul 2010, 1:44 pm

I know I would hate that too. But before we decide to just always call her, ask WHY she ignores the text.

Perhaps it's a timing thing. When she received the text, she couldn't text back and just took a quick read and then you call her and so there is no need to text you back.

Perhaps it's what you are texting. Do you ask a question? If you don't, some people won't text back because they feel there is nothing to say back to it.

I've had problems with this myself (for emails) and started asking people why they didn't respond and that I thought it was rude of THEM. I got differing answers and all of them plausible. And guess what? It was never about ME as to why they didn't get back to me.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 1:45 pm

Does she know how to text? She may know how to read them but not how to send them?

Perhaps to explain how you feel about when other people don't respond to your texts (not mentioning her), she may realise it's hurtful behaviour for her to engage in.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 2:24 pm

I know how annoying that is. My mum has never got enough credit on her phone and never answers texts. Quite often though she turns it off altogether which really annoys me because I can't contact her at all. I tend to use the landline on an evening now instead which she agrees is better anyway (cheaper at least!).

I have broken so many phones thanks to: 'Welcome to Orange answerphone....' :lol:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 2:29 pm

Agreed, a lot of adults don't text because they just don't want to invest the time in learning it. When you've used a phone all your life, texting can seem kind of pointless. As an Autistic, I find it has its advantages in that I don't have to keep up my end of a social interaction and know what to say in the pauses, stumble over my thoughts and then not be able to tell when or how to end the conversation. Someone who doesn't have those problems might just feel texting is more trouble than its worth, when you can just hit speedial and say it rather than bothering to type it all out.

I've also found over the years that a note can be much more easily misconstrued than a verbal statement, and people can get all bent out of shape and p*ssed off about something said in a note because they can't hear the vocal inflections that tell them HOW it was intended. Flat remarks can come off as sarcastic insults you never meant that way, so more often than not, direct communication is superior because it transmits complex subtleties that for most people printed words cannot.

And, as others have said, if you don't ask a question, why would someone feel obligated to reply? I don't answer texts if there's not a direct query, because my phone is prepaid and it costs me minutes to text, so I won't unless there's a compelling reason.