A personal theory about AS and personal hygiene

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 2:29 pm

I think if you have a hard time getting motivated to attend to your personal hygiene it's because doing so means an abrupt sensory change. Clean feels good once you're there but the process means going from room temperature and dry to something opposite. I think it's the desire for the comfort of stasis that's in operation here. Anybody agree?

hutchscott
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

I agree. My body has trouble adjusting to the temperature. Once I am clean and dry I always feel better but dread the actual shower.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 2:40 pm

That's why I hate showers! I like afterward, once myself and my hair are dry, but I hate the process of getting clean. Shudder.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 2:48 pm

I agree with everything that's been said. Your theory about the cause of the discomfort makes sense to me.

heatherbabes
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jul 2010, 2:50 pm

I think you've "hit the nail on the head" with that one!

I love being clean. I hate having to take a shower to get there. Never thought about why though. I mean, I have some physical limitations so it's hard physically that way. Never thought about why it was such a chore before those physical limitations happened though. Since reading your theory on it though, that makes so much sense!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 2:56 pm

I get very hot and dirty and sweaty at work and that feels awful so in that case I am eager to get in the shower. Otherwise I like my cocoon.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 2:58 pm

If you wash regularly, you'll also feel "dirty" more regularly and feel compelled to shower.

Anke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2010, 3:00 pm

I think you need to find something that outweighs the discomfort of showering. For me it's the fact that my mind feels different if I go outside without having showered first. It's half-asleep, sluggish, blunt. I hate that clouded head feeling so much that I always take a shower before going anywhere.

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2010, 3:03 pm

I agree with this - I like being clean, but I detest having to get wet. It's less annoying now I don't have long hair, but still.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 3:47 pm

I don't mind it. I'd rather get wet and wash up, than smell like BO.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 3:52 pm

im the opposite, i take long HOT showers, i just remember all the nasty things ive done and it makes me want to stay in there longer and HOTTER (and spend an hour brishing my teeth). i just cannot stand getting my face wet, or having my head underwater.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 4:03 pm

Aimless wrote:
I think if you have a hard time getting motivated to attend to your personal hygiene it's because doing so means an abrupt sensory change. Clean feels good once you're there but the process means going from room temperature and dry to something opposite. I think it's the desire for the comfort of stasis that's in operation here. Anybody agree?

I really only had sensory issues with dental hygiene when I was very young.

All of my other hygiene issues had to do with not being able to make the transition from doing one thing to doing another. I was just as difficult to get out of the tub as I was to get into the tub.

I still kind of hate the transition to be honest but the need to be clean prevails.

heatherbabes
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jul 2010, 4:04 pm

How's this for weird?

While I do not like showering, I do love swimming (once I get myself to dunk under and get acclimated to it). I can swim for hours upon hours. I like outdoor pools the best because they stay almost like body temperature so it's not too hot or too cold.. less to adjust to.

When I do shower, I do use a lot of hot water. The hotter the better.

And I agree with the poster who said the less frequently you wash, the less dirtier you feel in between.

But, if one doesn't sweat much, or do physical things, one does NOT need to shower every day to avoid smelling like B.O. I have found I can shower every other day and be quite clean enough.

Taking a shower almost always makes me sleepy. Not sure how it works to clear your head but I've heard that before for other people.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 4:10 pm

I love to take a shower. It's very pleasant to me. I hate to feel dirty and I feel dirty very often. I clean my hands maaaaany times a day. I never go to bed dirty. I avoid places where I can't wash myself.

I hate to wash my hair, but I do it. When I was younger, I hated it more.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 4:11 pm

Cold showers are good too, especially when its hot out.

i have to disagree with heatherbabes, i feel it necessary to shower everyday. not because of BO concerns but just the ick factor.

heatherbabes
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jul 2010, 4:30 pm

My thoughts are based on this study. While it's about baby's, our skin may be more resilient but some of it applies still

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... blems.html