A personal theory about AS and personal hygiene

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

heatherbabes
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jul 2010, 4:30 pm

My thoughts are based on this study. While it's about baby's, our skin may be more resilient but some of it applies still

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... blems.html

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 5:29 pm

I generally have to shower in the morning before I feel well. I don't like feeling sticky/sweaty/dirty or smelling my own BO. I don't understand how some guys with severe BO aren't bothered. That's one thing I hate about crowded places. Other people's BO. Maybe they can't smell thier own odor for some reason. I always can because I compulsively check.

The only hygiene thing I skimp on is shaving. I sometimes grow a 5 day scruffle. I think I have a sensory issue with shaving. It's uncomfortable. Of course the longer I go the more uncomfortable it is.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:12 pm

Well, i am not that interested in showering every day - i hardly ever perspire anyway, but now in the summer time it is so bloody warm, and just a day ago i think i showered 4 times.

I also like showering in (scolding) hot water. When i come out of the shower, the heatwave actually feels cold.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 9:58 pm

SO much easier when you get it into your routine.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm

Aimless wrote:
I think if you have a hard time getting motivated to attend to your personal hygiene it's because doing so means an abrupt sensory change. Clean feels good once you're there but the process means going from room temperature and dry to something opposite. I think it's the desire for the comfort of stasis that's in operation here. Anybody agree?

Oh yes! I hate drying myself when I get out of the shower, undressing in the cold, having wet hair, feeling wet underarm de-odourant (I absolutely cannot put clothes on until its dried) and just the time it takes to do all this stuff which may also be an ADD thing.

I like to wash my hands though.

heatherbabes
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm

I think that's true about anything.. the more you do it, the more used to it you are... kinna like the mere exposure factor theory. :)

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 12:49 am

i don't like being cold when i turn the water off, and when i change my clothes they get itchy in new places. if my skin feels ok, i'm going to do as little as possible to disrupt it. if i avoid showering, those are the reasons i can think of.

Neon304
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2010, 1:23 am

I like being in the shower, its a good place to getaway to and think. Don'tcare to much for the temperature differences though, so if the water cooperates and stays a constant temperature. then I ususally end up staying in way to long, yet if someone decides while I'm in the shower to start washing dishes or something, and the water goes back and forth between hot and cold, then its terrible. On a strange side note, sometimes in the summer, I will actually go for a cold shower rather than a warm shower.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2010, 1:28 am

I love showers and usually shower twice a day,

When I lived at home, I got yelled at for taking to long. I loose track of time and will sometimes spend up to a half hour in the shower.

I try to avoid over-long showers as much as possible.

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 1:43 am

My main reason is that I just forget. lol Although I never really did like showers until I got this one shampoo that had a mint smell to it, and then I really didn't mind taking showers...

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2010, 1:47 am

marshall wrote:
I generally have to shower in the morning before I feel well. I don't like feeling sticky/sweaty/dirty or smelling my own BO. I don't understand how some guys with severe BO aren't bothered. That's one thing I hate about crowded places. Other people's BO. Maybe they can't smell thier own odor for some reason. I always can because I compulsively check.

The only hygiene thing I skimp on is shaving. I sometimes grow a 5 day scruffle. I think I have a sensory issue with shaving. It's uncomfortable. Of course the longer I go the more uncomfortable it is.

Ditto!

I sweat in my sleep so I tend to shower even after a nap. I detest feeling sweaty or having to worry about being smelly.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 10:15 am

Hmm, interesting. Certain days I definitely would rather just stay in bed than get out and be uncomfortable. I hate to admit this but I've even peed in my trashcan cuz I didn't wanna go down the hall to the toilet. That's gross!

When I was a kid I never wanted to comb my hair so my mom just chopped it all off. I wonder if that was due to sensory issues.

I like to shower though. I hate the feel of my own dirty body and hair.