Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2010, 12:03 pm

Possible reasons:
B-12 deficiency. I felt ok when I was on the daily shots, now that I have to wait a week I'm not doing so good.
Allergies: Allergic to dust/mold/grass/weeds/cats/mice I tend to feel much worse on hot days or when exposed to allergies
Sudafed: I always pass out after taking sudafed, but I take the sudafed because my head is throbbing and my sinuses are in pain.
Stress?
My blood pressure is excellent.
I have posted before about my poor health. I am seeing doctors. I am very tired of being sick and tired all the time.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jul 2010, 12:36 pm

I don't know why you keep passing out, I don't know what you eat, etc, but if B12 shots made you feel better then perhaps upping your intake of meat and/or fish would be a good idea? Do you get enough protein? I read somewhere recently too that chronic fatigue syndrome is/can be associated with complex carbohydrate consumption in sensitive individuals, ( those with disaccharide-digesting enzyme deficiency among other things ), and that cutting out starchy carbos and sucrose can be helpful, but CFS is not the same thing as passing out. Do you get enough iron? Fresh parsley is good for that, as are red grapes and/or red grape juice, aswell as the obvious things like liver, and other organ meats.

Edit. PS. If you "always" pass out after taking sudafed I'd stop taking it, and try to deal with your headache and sinus-pain some other way. I seem to remember that you have already tried exclusion dieting; which foods did you or do you exclude, and for how long? Chronic headaches and sinus problems could well be the result of a food intolerance, especially dairy, but also gluten, corn, egg, soya, etc.

Good luck. :)

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 12:50 pm

I am an RN and had a patient that kept passing out cold for no apparent reason. She would be fine and then suddenly she was out for several minutes, and then fine again. It turned out it was her heart that was stopping and causing her to pass out. She got a pacemaker and is now fine. A lot of things could be causing you to pass out, but that's what caused her to do it.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 1:54 pm

For whatever reason, you do not have adequate blood reaching your brain...which is why you pass out. Mostly likely, it is a cardiac problem as the heart is the "pump" that pushes blood throughout the body. The heart is having difficulty pumping sufficient blood up to your brain.

I doubt it has anything to do with B-12 shots which simply means your body is not absorbing enough of the required nutrients that your body needs from what you eat and you need the B-12 shots.

Sudafed can raise your blood pressure and make you feel dizzy so, it is possible that the Sudafed may be involved in your "passing out."

Check with your medical physician and if you need to see a heart doctor, your medical physician can give you a referral to see a cardiologist for more specialized tests.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 4:07 pm

Do you eat correctly?

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2010, 7:22 pm

This might be a simple case of hypotension but:

Are you at all stressed or depressed? These can sometimes cross over into physical minor ailments, or even make you notice things which you might not otherwise.

Stress/Depression can cause hormonal changes that can decrease muscle & testosterone and increase bodyfat. This can make you feel unhealthy.

You may also end up being less active and eating poorly. A good rich diet and strenuous physical activity is an essential part of feeling mentally & physically well.

You should not really need to supplement vitamins if you are eating well.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 2:48 am

Might you be hypoglycemic?

sarek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jul 2010, 4:33 am

I dont know which country you are in.

If its for instance the UK you could be using the variant of sudafed that contains pseudo-ephedrine.
That might have something to do with it.

What beyond reality

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2010, 6:09 am

Thank you for caring! I mean that! :o
Here is more information so you can help me to figure it out.
1) By passing out I don't mean drop down out of the blue. I feel massive sinus pressure and I will get a pounding headache. My eyes start to hurt. It becomes a struggle to keep my eyes open. Eventually it is ALL I CAN DO to keep my eyes squinted open. At this point I will just let my eyes roll back in my head and I'm out for about 2 hours.
2) I am winded easily. Walking to the mailbox and my heart is pounding and I am breathing heavy.
3) Yes I have a lot going on right now, but life has been definately more stressful in the past, this has not happened at other stressful periods.
4) I had a really bad reaction to taking Nasonex, is it possible that the nasonex (if i mistakenly used it after the 120 pumps were out of the bottle) could have lasting effects on me?
5) Normally we eat a very healthy diet. My daughter is gluten intolerant. My husband has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I had gestational diabetes (which was diet controlled). Recently (since I have been too sick to do ANYTHING) our diet is sliding downhill. Poor diet at this point is a result of not being well enough to cook, but it was definately not the cause.
We eat a LOT of MEAT. My children are adament carnivores!
6) Mood swings, uncontrollable anger and irrational thoughts come at the same time as the "dizzy" sensation.
7) I will often have a violent outburst of rage just before passing out. :oops: :cry: This is not like me at all.
8) If preceeded by violent outburst of rage then passing out is not gradual, I am out cold for at least 3 hours.
9) I have (as far as wikipedia and web-md are concerned) all the symptoms of B-12 deficiency, including eye twitches and ithcy palms.
10) my blood tests, recent and in previous years, show elevated B-12
11) When I get B-12 shots all symptoms go away and I am back to my usual self.
12) In the past I have been treated for both depression and for ADD. This is NOT like that! One doctor at the family practice swears I have depression, I do NOT! I am supset because I am too tired, not tired because I am upset.

Thanks to anyone who cares. Really, honestly, thanks!

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 8:00 am

Did you already try eating something or having a hit of sugar when you feel you're about to pass out?

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2010, 1:05 pm

Update -
I had the doctor who said I was "depressed" look up my chart this morning. She was aghast at how low my B-12 was and advised I continue daily shots for another week. She also commented about the very low vitamin D. She also (irony of ironies) made despairaging remarks about doctors who misdiagnose for psychosomatic illnesses when the reality is a simple B-12 shot.

Here is my new theory. There are 2 things (at least) wrong with me. 1- I have an inability to absorb vitamins D and B-12. The explains both the fatigue and the insane mood swing passing out episodes. 2-The other type of gradual losing consciousness episodes are due to my sinus/ashma/allergy trouble. I have been working to figure this out with my allergist for about 6 months now.

Questions: Other than diet, what would cause inability to absorb vitamins D and B-12? Could this be related to eating predominantly gluten free (which I do since my child is gluten free!) What is a good allergy protocol? I take xyzal and singulair or I take a zyrtec. If I take both zyrtec and xyzal the same night then the next day I am too groggy to function.

Thanks for caring! If there is anyone out there with any medical knowledge who can help me out PLEASE do! :)