Anyone else with Gilbert's syndrome (hyperbilirubinemia)?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 4:26 am

Anyone else with Gilbert's syndrome, also called hereditary hyperbilirubinemia?

Gilbert's is a harmless inherited condition where a reduction in bilirubin conjugating enzyme results in high levels of unconjugated bilirubin in the bloodstream, and sometimes in mild jaundice.

http://www.gilbertssyndrome.com/

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 4:43 am

Wow that's really interesting I have a lot of the physical symptoms on that link and I had jaundice when I was a baby. I'm not a hypochondriac or anything I just like to over examine things especially things related to genetics.

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2010, 5:47 am

Both of my aunts and my uncle have it. I don't though.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 6:53 am

Angel_ryan wrote:
Wow that's really interesting I have a lot of the physical symptoms on that link and I had jaundice when I was a baby.

Jaundice as a baby is so common that no direct correlation can be made to aspergers. They take the baby and stick them under bright fluorescent lights for a few days and they usually recover 100% of the time.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 10:24 am

n4mwd wrote:
Jaundice as a baby is so common that no direct correlation can be made to aspergers.

Yes. Gilbert's, by contrast, is a lifelong condition suggested by blood-test unconjugated bilirubin levels or by genetic test, which might be done during gastroenterology investigation etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert%27s

Gabrielsmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2010, 3:02 pm

Interesting. I have it and wonder if my autistic son has it.

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2010, 3:57 pm

My 18-yr-old Aspie cousin has it.

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2010, 4:04 pm

After reading all of these symptoms for Gilbert's - I could have it, too. My cousin and I look alike in a lot of ways too.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 5:10 pm

Every time I made blood analysis, the bilirrubin values are always slightly above the maximum level. However, the doctor always says that there is no problem.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm

My brother has it, but as far as I know I don't.

Gabrielsmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2010, 3:34 pm

I found out i had it about 12 years ago when i went to a weight-loss Doctor, and that was the only time it was ever mentioned to me. Even though my son has had blood work done, i still wonder now if he has it because it was never tested for directly. He did have Jaundice and had to be admitted back into the hospital when he was an infant.

The_Wrong_Child
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2010, 10:50 am

I have both HFA and Gilberts. I had yellow eyes once (due to prolonged fasting), but I didn't feel bad at all.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:52 am

before now, i'd never even heard of it before

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 3:35 am

Seanmw wrote:
before now, i'd never even heard of it before

Neither had I till I was tested - I had a run of very high readings suggesting excessive alcohol consumption, and it was only because I was in a hospital that they knew I was not drinking alcohol and did the Gilbert's test. Subsequently, a few of my family have it too, the same people as have the ASD traits.

It affects about 5% of the population, so I guess there is no association with ASD.

MomofAspies
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2010, 11:41 am

There is now data compiled from a study done in Denmark that there is a higher rate of autism in babies that have jaundice at birth. My older son was jaundiced and has asperger's. My younger son was not jaundiced and also has asperger's. The thought that "clicked" in my mind.. I have Gilbert's Syndrome - hyperbilirubinemia. Since GS really starts to rear its ugly head in one's mid/late 20's and 30's, it makes me wonder. My kids were born when I was 27 & 35. The first blood test showing Gilbert's (not knowing that was what it was) was when i was 30 and my eldest son was 2 years old and I was very stressed. I was not officially diagnosed with it until I was in my 40's. Now I am trying to figure out if there is a co-relation between a mother (or even a father) who has Gilbert's having a higher incident of having children on the spectrum. I never thought before today that my kids could have autism from my stupid Gilbert's syndrome. And dont let anyone tell you that Gilbert's is benign. It wont generally kill you, but it does make your life difficult. The only saving grace is that once you learn that you have GS, you can understand a lot of why things are the way they are for you and what is going to negatively impact your health/well being. It explains a lot of our complaints and troubles with our bodies. Things that start in your 20's and get worse as you age. We dont build up tolerances, we build up sensitivities. That is what makes me think there may be a true relationship between GS and AS....that key word... SENSITIVITIES....... I would love to hear any comments or observations from people who have AS and a parent with GS or Vice Versa.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:45 am

Angel_ryan wrote:
Wow that's really interesting I have a lot of the physical symptoms on that link and I had jaundice when I was a baby. I'm not a hypochondriac or anything I just like to over examine things especially things related to genetics.
90% of all babies are born with jaundice... it's so common that it's unusual for a child not to be born with jaundice. It just takes a few days after birth for the liver to kick in.