Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sydney
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2010, 7:08 am

who here has difiuclties with verbal apraxia? It is very fustraiting. It can make my ASD seem liek it is worse. I am smart. It can be hard to tell I am smart.

saintetienne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2010, 7:30 am

possibly, but quite mildly

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 7:31 am

Yeah its annoying, especialy when peole interrupt you when you are talking just so they could correct you on your choice of language.

Sydney
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2010, 7:33 am

It is also fustrating when they try and gess what I am tryign to say. I just want to finish. I do not want people finsihing what I am saying for me.

labnjab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2010, 1:56 pm

Yes its very frustrating. Especially as someone said that people guess what you mean and also knowing what you want to say when you start but then losing your train of thought and then have to think of how you want to say it and it ends up sounding very confusing and the person your talking to makes you explain it again. Story of my life. If only we could talk like we type have a back space option lol. It makes me feel dumb even though I know I am not I just cant get my thoughts out well from my brain to my mouth and even hands as I type.

Your Aspie score: 187 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
This keeps getting higher everytime I take it :/

Sydney
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2010, 4:23 pm

also fustraiting is trying to say somthign. saying some of it. Then forgeting it all. Then peopel sayign "if it was important it will come back to you".

Auriya
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2010, 5:21 pm

sometimes hard to get the right words when conversing...

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 6:35 pm

While I don't have it myself...I have in all seriousness thought that Bush 43 had it (or some form of expressive language disorder).

Please don't flame--I mean this as a strictly "medical" observation (though I am NOT a doctor), not as a political comment or a like/dislike comment.

Sydney
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2010, 6:42 pm

who is bush 43?

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 6:43 pm

Sorry...George W. Bush, 43rd president (as opposed to his dad, George H. W. Bush, 41st president).

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 7:01 pm

To anyone on here who does not know what verbal apraxia is, it is not a disorder of expressive language. It's not a language disorder at all- it's a motor speech disorder. It has nothing to do with saying the wrong word, or not being able to think of the word you want to say, or finding the right words to express yourself. It has to do purely with physically producing the actual sounds that are coming out of your mouth. People with verbal apraxia have difficulty sequencing the motor movements to produce speech sounds, so they are often highly unintelligible (at least as children). Words come out sounding garbled, and speech is often slow, with even stress. Speech errors tend to be inconsistent, and people with verbal apraxia often produce errors on vowels as well as consonants, which would be unusual with other speech disorders. You can have childhood apraxia of speech, or apraxia following a stroke or other brain injury. Children with childhood apraxia of speech (and adults with acquired apraxia) are often so highly unintelligible even with intensive speech therapy that they require alternative means of communication, such as signing, PECs, or speech output devices.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 7:03 pm

Thanks for the clarification. :)

In that case, I retract the example I brought up.

Sydney
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2010, 7:06 pm

I have had it all my life I think. Which one is that? I have had lots of spech langae theripy. I also have phonologiacal awearnes difiucltys. I am not sure if that is somthign else. It might be part of my apraxia. I am not sure. Spech langage reports are difficult to understand I think.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 7:07 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. :)

In that case, I retract the example I brought up.

No problem. :D

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 7:11 pm

Sydney wrote:
I have had it all my life I think. Which one is that? I have had lots of spech langae theripy. I also have phonologiacal awearnes difiucltys. I am not sure if that is somthign else. It might be part of my apraxia. I am not sure. Spech langage reports are difficult to understand I think.

If you post (or PM me) some terms you are not familiar with from your reports, I will try to explain what they mean. I am sorry that you are having difficulty understanding your reports- you may also want to ask your speech therapist to clarify some points with you.

Difficulty with phonological awareness is a separate thing from verbal apraxia, but childhood apraxia of speech *is* often accompanied by difficulty with phonological awareness. There are different theories as to why this is the case.

Last edited by LostInSpace on 06 Jul 2010, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.