Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

labnjab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2010, 7:12 pm

Ah ha! I miss understood the meaning. So then does anyone know what it is called when you have issues knowing what you want to say in thought but then jump over the words and or lose what you wanted to say all together? I apologize for saying thats what I was dealing with I had no idea.

Your Aspie score: 187 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
This keeps getting higher everytime I take it :/

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 7:27 pm

labnjab wrote:
Ah ha! I miss understood the meaning. So then does anyone know what it is called when you have issues knowing what you want to say in thought but then jump over the words and or lose what you wanted to say all together? I apologize for saying thats what I was dealing with I had no idea.

It depends. You would really need to get a speech language evaluation to start with (and then the speech pathologist might recommend additional evaluation depending on the results) in order to determine the exact deficits. In terms of speech and language disorders which result in those types of problems, off the top of my head there is: expressive language disorder, language processing, or possibly cluttering. That's assuming that it's developmental and not the result of brain injury. It's not possible to diagnose someone over the Internet however, and don't forget that it is normal to have some degree of difficulty with the things you mentioned, especially if you tend to speak quickly or impulsively, so an evaluation would also determine whether the level of difficulty you experience warrants a diagnosis. Autism is also often accompanied by oddities in language (even if there is no language delay), that are not necessarily given a separate diagnosis.

If you feel like these issues are creating significant problems for you, you might want to seek out a speech and language evaluation. If you do have a language disorder, then there is treatment for it. A speech and language evaluation might also be a good place to start if you are interested in an autism diagnosis (I notice your profile says "undiagnosed). A speech therapist can't diagnosis autism (at least in the states I am familiar with- NY, NJ, PA), but speech therapists are generally *very* good at picking up on pragmatic language issues and other subtle signs of autism and Asperger's, and they can include those in your report. The therapist might also be able to recommend a good autism diagnostician.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 9:49 pm

Interesting...I did not know about this disorder. OP, do you know if it is commonly associated with HFA or Asperger's Syndrome ( ASD's)?

Sydney
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2010, 10:38 pm

I am not know for certain who you are asking. I have been diagnosed with ASD I have also been diagnosed with verbal Apraxia. I might not have it.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 11:08 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
Interesting...I did not know about this disorder. OP, do you know if it is commonly associated with HFA or Asperger's Syndrome ( ASD's)?

I am not the OP, and I don't know about verbal apraxia and HFA/AS, but I can tell you that I've worked with a number of nonverbal or minimally verbal children with autism who seem to have had verbal apraxia. Limb apraxia (or dyspraxia) is certainly common in autism, including among those with HFA/AS.

Sydney
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2010, 7:15 pm

Apraxia does not affect inteligence. People keep saying that I am stupid. I am samrt. It is just difiuclt to show. I think that more people should know that.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 7:27 pm

I had speech therapy as a child, so possibly very mildly. My issues stem more from what I would call verbal dyslexia. I mix words up in sentences and don't realize it until later. l also sometimes forget simple words like 'chair'.

I have yet to research the verbal aspects of AS, so if there's an actual name for this, I would appreciate a heads up. :-)

Sydney
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2010, 10:26 pm

I did not knwo there was a verbal dyslexia. I have dyslexia. But I do not have verbal dyslexia.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 10:28 pm

Sydney wrote:
I did not knwo there was a verbal dyslexia. I have dyslexia. But I do not have verbal dyslexia.

Oh goodness... don't quote me on that one. It's just what I call it. I have no clinical name for it. However, I do suffer from Dyslexia in general. It just made sense to me that it was the same problem extended to my speech. :-)

labnjab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2010, 11:02 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
labnjab wrote:

It depends. You would really need to get a speech language evaluation to start with (and then the speech pathologist might recommend additional evaluation depending on the results) in order to determine the exact deficits. In terms of speech and language disorders which result in those types of problems, off the top of my head there is: expressive language disorder, language processing, or possibly cluttering. That's assuming that it's developmental and not the result of brain injury. It's not possible to diagnose someone over the Internet however, and don't forget that it is normal to have some degree of difficulty with the things you mentioned, especially if you tend to speak quickly or impulsively, so an evaluation would also determine whether the level of difficulty you experience warrants a diagnosis. Autism is also often accompanied by oddities in language (even if there is no language delay), that are not necessarily given a separate diagnosis.

If you feel like these issues are creating significant problems for you, you might want to seek out a speech and language evaluation. If you do have a language disorder, then there is treatment for it. A speech and language evaluation might also be a good place to start if you are interested in an autism diagnosis (I notice your profile says "undiagnosed). A speech therapist can't diagnosis autism (at least in the states I am familiar with- NY, NJ, PA), but speech therapists are generally *very* good at picking up on pragmatic language issues and other subtle signs of autism and Asperger's, and they can include those in your report. The therapist might also be able to recommend a good autism diagnostician.

Thank you that helped me out a lot. I will have to look into that when we can afford it.

Your Aspie score: 187 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
This keeps getting higher everytime I take it :/