Neanderthal Males Had Popeye-Like Arms

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 9:32 am

Distance as in projectiles?

Neanderthal went north 200,000 years ago, Sapians 40,000.

Third ice age back was a long one, 150,000 years, and it fits the locations where Neanderthals are found.

During that ice age a wall of ice, a cliff five kilometers high, reached from London to the Ural Mountains.

White, south facing, it produced a climate now unknown, The Mammoth Steppe.

For a few hundred kilometers south of the ice cliff was a fog, constant moisture, double light, as the cliff reflected, and the plant life was like nothing today. The fog filtered out UV, harmful to plants, and the Mammoth Steppe was the most productive strip of land ever. It is what supported mass herds, who migrated up and down the line with the seasons.

One, the fog is the reason the Neanderthal developed the calender, for they hunted known migrations, stashed meat in ice caves, and stayed close to the ice, deep in the fog, where knowing the time and path they could be ready.

The tactic of a short charge, stab with a spear, knock the animal down and kill it, would work in dense fog, in thick head high brush, where a wounded animal could be lost forever in a few bounds. Insert lever, tip over animal, keep it from getting it's feet on the ground till it died.

Projectile weapons show up with Sapians who lived south of the fog. They hunted in more open country, and while getting close was harder, tracking was easy. They could watch their prey from a distance, and follow the wounded by sight.

Sapians come north just as the ice wall is melting, 40,000 years ago, and for the next 5,000 years, sight hunting works, then the ice returns.

Those who survive are Neanderthals and breeds,

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 12:57 am

Hey Jamesongerbil, nice to see another "fellow" anthropologist here. :p I'm tired though, but this looks interesting... Might read later...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 4:32 pm

I guess that I must be a Neanderthal female, with an awful lot of testosterone, in her body, because I have the same type of arms. I'm just a very unusual looking person. That's not a bad thing, though. 8)

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2010, 12:31 am

No matter how hard I work out. I can get my top arm to bulge, but my forearm the popeye arm swells. I look like a freak. :_(

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:59 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
A couple science magazines (I'm kicking myself for not recalling their titles) have articles about how the Neanderthal genome has been decoded in Germany. Guess what - despite being archaic homo sapiens, they were still close enough to us that they were absorbed into our population, and have seemingly disappeared into our gene pools. Both articles maintained Non- African populations possess two to four percent Neanderthal genes. Not enough to influence our modern human appearance - which is too bad, because I'd love having that muscle mass - but it is definitely there. It's thought remnants of other archaic homo sapiens probably were absorbed into our population, as well. After years of documentaries and articles describing Neanderthals as inferior competition who couldn't cut it once us modern humans showed up, I'm happy to know something of them lives on in us.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer
Yeah! Right on!!

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 11:24 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Forgive me if this question has been answered before, but is there any theory on why Neanderthals did not use distance hunting techniques? Was the distance hunting less efficient for acquiring calories?
They couldn't use distance hunting techniques because of their physiology. do an experiment and roll your arm around in it's socket. Remember throwing a ball? The neanderthal's ball-socket joint is such that it is ineffective at throwing things. Hence, they need to get up close to hunt. Here