Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:33 am

Does anyone take offense to the wikipedia artcle for "Personality Disorder"? here is a direct quote

Quote:
"an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it"

we as people w/aspergers do not generally conform to our cultural expectations. it is a "disorder" to think differently? why are we the disordered ones? I propose a "new" disorder"

Conformist Disorder: a pattern of behavior that strips an individual of his individuality and compels him to do what everyone else is doing, regardless of his own desires or needs.

There is diverse thought in just about every field. lets look at Christianity (without opening up a new can of worms) there are over 5000 denominations who believe in the same Jesus, yet each one of them has a slightly different thought process. We dont have "Baptist Disorder" or "Catholicitis" or "Presbyterian Syndrome" we just have "brethren who worship differently"

I think that the NT world, in co-operation with "Autism Speaks" are trying to eradicate Autism and ASD's from existence with the ultimatum "Normalize yourself or we will "cure" you."

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:51 am

i think that an obbsession to be socialy accepted could form a disorder

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:58 am

AS isn't considered a personality disorder. Personality disorders are called disorders because they form based on one's experiences and deviate from the person's normal way of thinking, or how they would have turned out had they not developed a personality disorder. If you have AS you're different from the start. Maybe I don't understand the question lol.

But I think I know what you mean. Deviating from the norm in general shouldn't be considered a disorder. I guess it just depends on how severely one's behavior changes based on their environment and how much it affects them. I can think of some very successful people who deviate from the norm and could easily get labeled with some sort of personality disorder.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 10:31 am

I wouldn't be surprised if I was diagnosed with schizoid or avoidant PD's

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 10:35 am

the deans in school use to make fun of me saying i had mpd.