Page 50 of 54 [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next

Did you find the advice helpful?
yes 89%  89%  [ 527 ]
no 11%  11%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 592

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:46 pm

Don't think because that you dislike your job or a certain boss at work, and other employees also SAY they hate their job and that particular boss, you should take your fellow employees literally and broadcast it - especially to the other bosses! Your fellow complainers will quickly retract their statements and leave you out in the cold alone to be scrutinized, admonished & possibly fired.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 4:52 pm

When guessing someones age, if they look over 30, take the age they look and minus at least 5 years.

Don't shove your excess self-pity in peoples faces. Sure being an aspie can really suck at times but people in the end really dont want to hear about it. Thats what posting on wp and talking to your psych is for.

Don't openly talk about sex to someone of the opposite sex unless you know them well, especially if your a guy. Then the girls will simply think your just a creep trying to get in there pants. If your a girl, depending on how the guys perceive you, they might think of it as disgusting if your not at least moderately good looking. If you are good looking, they might want to take advantage of you.

Don't flirt or talk about sex with your authority figures period!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Sep 2022, 7:29 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Reinstated by request.

Please remember that many of the contributors to this thread no longer visit WP, so your questions or comments may go unanswered.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 7:07 pm

It's a shame nobody's seen this since it's been reunited and a sticky, as I think this will benefit a lot of people. But maybe I can get the ball rolling again...

Here's some things that say one thing but mean another, that I'd like to translate:-

1. "Do you want something?"
If a friend says this, it usually means that they're not in the mood for talking to you. While it's not the most politest thing to say, and can make the situation feel awkward, it is best to just heed it and walk away.

2. "Always" and "never" rarely mean what they should mean. If somebody says something like "it always rains when I walk my dog", they don't actually mean it rains every single time they walk their dog, it's just a way of expressing their feelings on the days it does rain when they're walking their dog.

3. Extreme words, such as "always" and "never", are often used to put emphasis on how they are feeling about something, so do not correct them, because I'm sure they know what they mean.

4. Don't expect people to keep adding "some" before words like "people", because sometimes the word "people" on its own can mean "only the people I'm thinking of", rather than "everyone on the planet".

5. Don't take things personally, like if someone says "I don't like children", don't get offended and yell "so you hate my children then??" because that was not what they meant. They just meant they don't like children in general, probably for their own reasons.

6. Try to distinguish between a person laughing near you because they're nervous and a person laughing at you. Usually when people laugh at you it's more subtle, passive-aggressive, snickering, not just openly out loud right in front of you (and I'm not talking about strangers, I'm talking about your friends, family, colleagues, etc). If someone is laughing whilst talking to you, it's probably because they are shy or nervous or is just part of their personality. Or it might even be because they're admiring you and are joyful when around you.

I hope some of these will be of help.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2022, 2:28 am

7 only tell someone the same joke twice, even if it's a really good joke. (Unless they're your mom. You can tell her 3 times.)

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2022, 7:01 pm

8.Never try to convince someone that is close minded and scornful to change their mind on something you like

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2022, 9:26 am

If you are assigned female at birth you are to keep your eyebrows slightly raised at all times when exchanging pleasantries in order to not be perceived as aggressive or bitchy.

You can read these 50 pages and twist yourself in a pretzel trying to become a fish when you're a bird or you can just be yourself and minimize contact with people who take offense to autistic people: existing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 2:52 pm

If someone asks you a question they know you won't know the answer to, it's obviously a rhetorical question, so don't try to answer by yelling "I don't know, how would I know??" The intention of the other person was for you to agree with them or feel the same way. This applies to a lot of NTs too, particularly men.

I would do an example but I can't explain a tone of voice in words on an internet forum but what I'm talking about is down to how you answer. Ahh, can't explain it but I know when I see it.

AngloIrishGuy
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2022, 8:35 am

Botti wrote:
2. Look people in the eye, but not in a fixed manner. Look away once in a while as they feel uncomfortable if you stare.

But I like making people uncomfortable :lol:

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2022, 6:07 pm

People prefer short and to the point speech.
I tend to talk and elaborate without intending to do so.

This is probably due to the way I tend to think.
Other times I tend to say nothing.
Apparently both is bad.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 11:07 pm

Highlander852456 wrote:
Apparently both is are bad.

12. Don't correct others' grammar.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 11:11 pm

Everything. Everyone. Everywhere. Ends.

Get used to change because it's inevitable.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 11:02 pm

I already know about most of society's rules, I'd just rather not follow of them if doing so didn't cause an angry mob with torches and pitchforks to show up at my door. :twisted:

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 6:19 am

Listen and observe people. Think thrice, speak once.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2022, 2:50 pm

Rule....3907 lol
Nobody, family or friend, should use money or status to control or manipulate you.even if they pay your bills. If they do this, separate from them as much as possible

soutthpaw
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2022, 2:26 pm

Be sure you understand the real meaning of common phrases or terminology/slang/jargon. I find Googling it usually works.
Netflix and Chill does NOT mean come over and relax and watch movies. It's a secret code for getting together for sex. I once invited someone over so we could Netflix and chill. They turned me down flat and stopped talking to me. It was much later that I discovered the secret meaning behind the phrase.