Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 3:40 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else has taken or takes Abilify (aripiprazole) for symptoms associated with tehir autism/Asperger's, and what your experiences are? I have taken it since February and just increased my daily dosage from 5 to 10mg. I take it for anxiety and irritability.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 3:44 pm

I took it at the same time and Zoloft. One of then made me so anxious, it was unbearable. I'm not sure witch one though, and I quit both after a few weeks.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 3:53 pm

j0sh wrote:
I took it at the same time and Zoloft. One of then made me so anxious, it was unbearable. I'm not sure witch one though, and I quit both after a few weeks.

Could've been both. Antidepressants often cause anxiety when first starting them (will go away after a while), and I read anxieyt is also a pretty common side effect of Abilify.

fleeced
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2010, 5:21 pm

Abilify made me want to move my legs all the time at one point I was kind of dancing all the time. Funny for other people but hell for me. It took a long time to wear off when I stopped taking it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jul 2010, 4:41 am

I was on Abilify for on & off for five years & it caused me to have twitches & ticks. My mouth was constantly dry & I had a hard time talking & slurred words. I was on a very low dosage of it. I hear in the commercials for it that those side-effects can become permanent. I've been off it for over a year & a half & my left eyelid sometimes still twitches but I was on other meds to that I guess could of caused it or the combinations did. If you have any kinds of problems with twitching or tremors or something; I would highly recommend NOT taking Abilify but I hear lots of anti-psychotics can cause those problems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 6:00 am

nick007 wrote:
I was on Abilify for on & off for five years & it caused me to have twitches & ticks. My mouth was constantly dry & I had a hard time talking & slurred words. I was on a very low dosage of it. I hear in the commercials for it that those side-effects can become permanent. I've been off it for over a year & a half & my left eyelid sometimes still twitches but I was on other meds to that I guess could of caused it or the combinations did. If you have any kinds of problems with twitching or tremors or something; I would highly recommend NOT taking Abilify but I hear lots of anti-psychotics can cause those problems.

Did your doctor say you have tardive dyskenisia (jerky facial movements from long-term antipsychotic use)? If so, this could indeed be permanent. Abilify is notorious for causing movement disorders as compared to other atypical antipsychotics; my psychiatrist told me when he prescribed it that even at 5mg (veyr low dose), I could have movement issues, but thankfully I didn't. So far at 10mg no side effects either.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jul 2010, 7:50 pm

ChangelingGirl wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Did your doctor say you have tardive dyskenisia (jerky facial movements from long-term antipsychotic use)? If so, this could indeed be permanent. Abilify is notorious for causing movement disorders as compared to other atypical antipsychotics; my psychiatrist told me when he prescribed it that even at 5mg (veyr low dose), I could have movement issues, but thankfully I didn't. So far at 10mg no side effects either.

No one mentioned anything about tardive dyskenisia to me but I had a tremor disorder before but the meds made things a lot worse while I was on em. I started Abilify about 7 years ago; I think it had just came out & it wasn't really heard of then. I was on 5mg as well & a couple docs did seem a little concerned about tremors & I switched anti-psychotics a few times but kept going back to Abilify & started taking another med for tremors. Things got much better after I quit meds but they are still worse than before I started em. I tried getting treatment for tremors after I was off all the meds a while but the those meds made me sick & seemed to cause mental issues or made things worse. I had tried a couple tremor meds out before I had a break-down & I think they may of helped cause it. As I said in a recent thread I started in the Members Only section; the medication really messed me up. I truly believe I'm much better off NOT taking any meds or seeing any docs for mental or tremor issues unless things get extremely serious.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

olso4644
Raven
Raven

09 Jul 2010, 9:12 pm

for me, it made me want to move around a lot, like everybody else, it seems. That made driving kinda dangerous. It made me really bored too. With everything. I fell asleep during nearly every movie i saw that year.

I didn't like it. I wouldn't take it again either. I took it for showing pre-dronal signs of schizophrenia though. That's what the diagnosis was at the time.