Federal Court Rules Defense Of Marriage Act Unconstitutional

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 6:33 pm

A federal court in Boston has ruled certain aspects of the Defense of Marriage Act to be unconstitional, in that it interferes with states' rights and unfairly discriminates against same-sex couples. For more information, follow this link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100708/ap_on_re_us/us_gay_marriage_benefits

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:17 pm

Sadly, they missed where DOMA clearly violates the Constitution. DOMA permits states to ignore marriages performed in other states, which is in clear violation of Article IV, Section 1: "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State."

Here's hoping this gets brought up when the suit goes before the Supremes (as seems inevitable, really...).

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 2:30 am

I never really got the whole argument against gay marriage. If the sanctimony of marriage needs to be protected, and the Bible says that marriage is between a man and woman, that sounds like a religious establishment to me. Ergo, the government couldn't make any law regarding it. Unless of course marriage is more than just a religious ceremony, in which case there's no reason to exclude homosexuals.

I think marriage should be an issue decided by each state separately, and that the federal government should recognize gay marriages made in states where gay marriage is legal. That's just my two cents. I hope the DOMA is struck down, it'd be a nice step forward.