Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 7:33 am

A couple years ago I was working with this guy who's wife was one of these vegan health nuts. He would get Tofu and Soy milk in his lunch and, he appeared to enjoy it. Until one day all the guys went out to lunch together and he ordered the biggest medium rare bacon burger on the menu. Come to find out he was just acting like a vegan to please his wife. He also would have one of the other guys at work hold his cigarettes and lighter so he could smoke behind her back too.

I don't think I would be willing to change my eating habits for someone I wanted to be in a relationship with. I already have a family member that cannot eat wheat or dairy that I have to accomidate most of the time. Eating meat is something I'm not willing to compromise on for Love.

Would you change your diet for Love?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 8:00 am

No.

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 8:06 am

No I would never give up meat, alcohol or cigarettes for anyone (though I would never smoke around my own children that's just wrong)

There is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian or vegan if that's your choice, but you shouldn't try force it onto anyone else.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

Last edited by Daemonic-Jackal on 09 Jul 2010, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 8:14 am

No, a person who makes a dietary requirement out of a life style choice is responsible for catering to it, not other people. Short of someone having a serious anaphalactic shock if exposed to certain food types it really isn't your responsibility to cater to someone else's lifestyle. If they have a nut allergy and you might end up killing them, then maybe you should have to be cautious.

I used to live with an architect student who happened to be a Vegan. She near enough ordered the rest of us to accomodate to her dietary choice by not having meat in the house or using the communal space on them. She coincidentally happened to be an utterly unpleasent snobbish c**** but thats student's for you.

I remember when I'd gone to Robin Hood bay along the east coast of yorkshire foraging in the rock pool and managed to aquire a lobster and some periwinckles. I'd put the lobster in the boot of my car in a pack of frozen ice to stop its heart. Then overnight I put it in the freezer. I forget to tell the vegan lass about there being a semi-live lobster in the freezer and was awoken to her screaming in sheer terror upon discovering him on top of the freezer :lol:

On a side note freshly caught lobster is x10,000 better then the supermarket stuff.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 8:36 am

No. I've given serious consideration to vegetarianism on my own, because from what I can tell it is more natural/healthy. I could never go through with it though, for anyone. I am a meat addict and that's the way I'm going to stay.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 9:20 am

I've always resisted pressure from partners to move away from my veganic/vegetarian eating habits. I get more resistive if the partner turns the pressure up, though like with most things I'm remarkably flexible as long as people respect my right to say no. I've occasionally eaten meat just to fit in with the practicalities of what's going on......I've always been a "naughty vegetarian" i.e. I strongly prefer to keep away from meat for most of the time, but I've got no problem about the occasional transgression, after all I'm human.

Maybe the wife the OP mentioned just wouldn't prepare non-veganic food? I think it's fair enough to be like that......I hated buying meat for partners, it seemed like I was creating a demand for something I'm against, and using my own money for it as well. But then there's the smoking thing.

I guess it boils down to how much of your life you want to share......could be an imbalance with that relationship, with the wife thinking they have to decide lots of things together. But I don't see much wrong in her wanting Hubby to look after his health. It's probably better than not caring or hoping he'll die quick so she can get his money. I think if you're going to risk your life, your partner has some kind of right to a say in that, if your relationship is serious. But as long as the degree of sharing is agreed, any kind of deal is possible.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 10:23 am

Laz wrote:
... overnight I put it in the freezer. I forget to tell the vegan lass about there being a semi-live lobster in the freezer and was awoken to her screaming in sheer terror upon discovering him on top of the freezer :lol:

On a side note freshly caught lobster is x10,000 better then the supermarket stuff.

:lmao: Oh that is funny..

I wouldn't become a vegetarian, but that's not really a problem with my boyfriend. It's just that he really likes both steak and salad. I am ambivalent about the former and I hate the latter. I'm more of a "chicken fingers" kind of kid :roll:

Perin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jul 2010, 12:18 pm

It's hard to say, isn't it? I mean. I would say no but you never quite know what you'd give up or for whom.

Regardless, I just came back from a dinner full of grilled chicken. And it was YUM.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 1:54 pm

Daemonic-Jackal wrote:
N I would never smoke around my own children that's just wrong).

Why - because it's dangerous? Those of us born in the late 50s and early 60s grew up in a world where so many adults smoked, it was an oddity to encounter one who didn't, and we were driven around every day in vehicles with rolled-up windows sitting between two smoking grownups, often with a couple more smokers in the back if you were going out of town. Contrary to modern 'wisdom' we didn't develop tumors in Elementary school. That secondhand smoke nonsense is just another social fiction cooked up to keep people living in fear and hating each other.

OTOH, if your reasoning is that you don't want them to learn your less-than-healthy habits, then when they eventually do realize you're doing it, you'll appear to them as a hypocrite and after that why should they believe anything you say or trust anything you teach them? America might save millions from Heroin and Meth addiction if they'd stop lying to young people about Marijuana. If you tell people a whole group of things are deadly and they try one and (surprise!) its not - then why should they believe the rest of 'em are dangerous?

On the OPs topic - IMHO deceit and dishonesty are relationship killers sooner or later, because a person who will lie to you about a little thing will lie to you about anything, and eventually everything. Besides, what simpering gutless no-self-esteem attention whore would want to be in a relationship with a partner who can't accept them as they are? Hope this guy brushes his teeth before he goes home in the evening, so he doesn't get nicotine on wifey's boots when he licks her feet. :roll:

If you feel the need to change the person you're with, for the good of you both, set them free and find someone you actually like.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 2:26 pm

Wow Willard, you made some very good points.

If my SO had good reasons, with a well laid argument, as to why I should change my eating habits, sure, I'd try. I don't really care what I eat, as long as it doesn't send me into anaphylactic shock or bog down my energy levels. Oh yeah, and it's tasty.

I suppose if I had a kid with a terrible peanut allergy I'd probably never eat another peanut again. So, yes, I'd consider changing my diet, but if in the case of a SO, I felt like changing, I'd at least be adult enough to be honest about it. That guy hiding his meat eating from his wife seems like a coward, IMO.

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 2:46 pm

Willard wrote:
Daemonic-Jackal wrote:
N I would never smoke around my own children that's just wrong).

Why - because it's dangerous? Those of us born in the late 50s and early 60s grew up in a world where so many adults smoked, it was an oddity to encounter one who didn't, and we were driven around every day in vehicles with rolled-up windows sitting between two smoking grownups, often with a couple more smokers in the back if you were going out of town. Contrary to modern 'wisdom' we didn't develop tumors in Elementary school. That secondhand smoke nonsense is just another social fiction cooked up to keep people living in fear and hating each other.

OTOH, if your reasoning is that you don't want them to learn your less-than-healthy habits, then when they eventually do realize you're doing it, you'll appear to them as a hypocrite and after that why should they believe anything you say or trust anything you teach them? America might save millions from Heroin and Meth addiction if they'd stop lying to young people about Marijuana. If you tell people a whole group of things are deadly and they try one and (surprise!) its not - then why should they believe the rest of 'em are dangerous?

You raise a lot of very good points, all the stories about second hand smoke is complete nonsense. I myself am from a long line of smokers. When I say not smoke around children, I essentially mean infants as I don't think it's fair to expose them to something which they are too young to understand is unhealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:08 pm

And, wait a second, is this hypothetical SO preparing all my food for me, too?? :lol: In that case, sign me up!

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 6:31 pm

Nope. I eat what I eat and I ain't gonna let anybody else tell me otherwise.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Hansie

10 Jul 2010, 1:20 am

Nope. Food belongs in the category 'better than sex'. I suppose the only way I would give up something that I like to eat is if it came down to life or death.

I eat nearly every animal so whether my girl friend is a vegetarian or a dog lover she needs to respect my choice to occasionally eat her favorite animals.

harlequinsenor
Raven
Raven

10 Jul 2010, 1:48 am

Having never been on a real date with a girl, I can't say whether or not this dating trick works or not.

I would assume it depends on the girl.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 3:44 am

Unless if she convinces me.