Who here has a focus on drawing people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm

I enjoy drawing people VERY much, and animals--for me, if it doesn't have life, I don't want to draw it. (It's odd, too...I take great pleasure in "animating" the eyes and faces of my drawings, but watching someone IRL is a lot harder.) Does anyone else feel this way? Care to link to your work or post it here?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 4:21 am

I love drawing people. I rarely add backgrounds to my pictures, and I don't like drawing animals or plants very much. Does it count if we like drawing people cartoon/anime style, or does it only count as "people" if it's realistic? Because I always draw people anime style.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 11:46 am

It's still "people." :)

I don't draw anime--never could get the hang of ANY cartoon style, to be honest. My drawings are in a more realistic vein, though I know I still have a lot of work to do. I did see some improvements when I reviewed my work over the past 9 years, though...not the improvements a professional might have, but it still made me feel like it was worth it. :)

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 11:27 pm

I have been drawing people a lot, for the past 3 years. I'm currently drawing someone on WP. :mrgreen:

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

I have a stylized way of drawing lots of things. But I prefer to draw people realistically.

It's easier for me to draw from pictures than it is to draw someone IRL. I seem to become overwhelmed whenever I draw someone or some thing in real life.

I draw cartoony characterizations of people I dislike, exaggerating aspects of their features and expressions. It's very theraputic. Image

I would love to post some of my art and I will as soon as I get a new computer and scanner.

Taupey

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 11:43 pm

What parts of people do you enjoy drawing the most?

I love drawing faces. To me, the facial expression makes or breaks the drawing, so that's what I like to concentrate on first. My focus on drawing faces has caused me to become really good at them, but it has also caused my anatomy and perspective to suffer. I realized this and I have been working to help correct it. Now my anatomy/perspective has improved from "eye-searing bad" to "barely tolerable". :lol:

I recently got over a drawing hiatus that lasted several months, so I'm not very comfortable posting my work online yet because I believe my skills are rusty. I might post some here on WP when I'm feeling more confident.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 12:02 am

IdahoRose--That sounds like a description of how I approach drawings and the challenges I've had! It's the expressions as well for me, and that's why I don't like drawing non-living things. I can't imbue an object with that kind of expression or sense of "story."

For me it's ironic because I'm awful at facial recognition IRL, until I've met you multiple times. But with a photo to draw from, it's SO much easier.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 2:42 am

Don't be embarassed about your work, none of us are perfect. We all have to start somewhere. Besides, we all have our own style. Somethings I draw better than others. Maybe when I get some of my art posted, you won't be embarassed to post your art. :)

I love drawing nude women in tasteful positions mind you. I have some little naked faeries I sent to my mother while she was in church a couple of years ago. Then she told me not to send anymore because it cost too much. :roll:

I need to practice drawing nude men in various positions.

I also love drawing faces and I have been doing that off and on for years.

I have a "my favorite men" collection of drawings I've done over the years.

I have a goat collection too because I use to have goats. I had one billy goat I named Cadmar, I have lots of drawings of him when he was still a kid. Okay well he was cute when he was young but then he grew up and smelled pretty bad. :?

I should draw a picture of "GoatOnFire" and add it to my goat collection. :chin: I just can't tell what the Hell is between his legs on this little BlackBerry screen! If I ask him, I know what he'll say it is whether or not that's really what it is. Does anyone know?

Taupey

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 8:17 am

I love drawing people

Oscarellie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2010, 10:39 pm

When I get obsessed with people that are well known, I tend to draw them a lot. I always only seem to draw shoulders upwards, and always it is the eyes that make it good, and although people can't recognise the famous figure from my drawing straight off, they still look like people, and they realise it once I say. I don't like to draw bodies or backgrounds, partially because I am not as interested, and partially because I find it more difficult (although this could also be my level of practise, due to my level of interest?). I like the faces when they look back at me, after I have painted them and it feeds my obsession with the person.

Mewlvr
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2010, 3:18 pm

Actually mine I dunno what to call XD Sometimes they're plain humans, other times they're demons and on occations they're total mutants.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 3:31 pm

I like drawing people from ancient cultures, particularly African, Native American, and Middle Eastern ones.