Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

d057
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 9:05 am

Here is a link to my new blog. I try to define what the word “cool” means. (Figuratively)

http://dwarren57.wordpress.com/2010/07/ ... cool-mean/

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2010, 10:44 am

I feel the same way. A few years back I wanted to be one of the "cool" kids, but I came to realise that being "cool" involved bitching, backstabbing and belittling people, and now I don't want anything to do with the "cool" kids. One day their worlds will cave in, and their lives will come crashing down around them.

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2010, 11:26 am

A well thought-out blog post! I also agree and I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 1:03 pm

'Cool' is one of those words that's forever lost its original meaning. A 'cool' guy was the guy who had everything under control, who never overreacted, was never uptight, but could still get things done. A cool guy was a rebel, sometimes a leader but never a follower. That guy at Denny's screaming at the waitress about how his coffee is cold? Not cool. The guy who gives a kid a buck to distract the waitress while he pours himself a new cup from behind the counter, then winks at the waitress on the way back to his table? Cool.

What happened was that cool guys tended to become popular guys, loved by the kids but not by the establishment. People forgot that cool is an attitude, not a measure of status. You don't need a leather jacket to be cool, and having one doesn't make you cool. It's all in how you handle yourself. You can't always be popular, but you can always be cool.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 1:24 pm

The positive thing about the "cool" people in high school is that I never have to associate with them again after I graduate.

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 3:45 pm

sacrip wrote:
'Cool' is one of those words that's forever lost its original meaning. A 'cool' guy was the guy who had everything under control, who never overreacted, was never uptight, but could still get things done. A cool guy was a rebel, sometimes a leader but never a follower. That guy at Denny's screaming at the waitress about how his coffee is cold? Not cool. The guy who gives a kid a buck to distract the waitress while he pours himself a new cup from behind the counter, then winks at the waitress on the way back to his table? Cool.

What happened was that cool guys tended to become popular guys, loved by the kids but not by the establishment. People forgot that cool is an attitude, not a measure of status. You don't need a leather jacket to be cool, and having one doesn't make you cool. It's all in how you handle yourself. You can't always be popular, but you can always be cool.

Yeah I agree. I think people confuse "cool" and "popular". They sometimes go hand in hand, but not always. Some "Popular" people display negative personality traits like being "superficial", "backstabbing", putting other people down to elevate themselves are not "cool" In fact those attributes are so NOT COOL. Its a shame that people don't really see the difference sometimes and the misconceptions that go around, especially during high school.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 7:20 pm

sacrip wrote:

That perfectly described the kid who flipped out at me with the cell phone who I talked about in this blog post. He enjoyed making fun of my Autistic mannerisms and he did it to make me upset, and people either ignored him or gave a fake smile and tried to change the subject.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 8:12 pm

When I think of a cool guy I think of The Dude, some one who's totally laid back and happy with their life

d057
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 5:00 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
When I think of a cool guy I think of The Dude, some one who's totally laid back and happy with their life

One of my very good friends is laid back, and he seems to be pretty happy with life.