Moms' Favoritism Tied to Depression in Adulthood

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Whether mom's golden child or her black sheep, siblings who sense that their mother consistently favors or rejects one child over others are more likely to show depressive symptoms as middle-aged adults, finds a new study by Cornell gerontologist Karl Pillemer.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 220510.htm

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 1:19 am

That rings a bell, with me. My mum has always favoured my sister, over me and she's still doing that, today. It has a tremendous effect on me. I feel so depressed, sometimes, that I don't want to eat. It's got nothing to do, with autism. It's just that ever since my sister was four, my mum favoured her, over me. It's the favourtism that causes those emotions. I've recently lost 10 lbs, over the past 2 weeks, because that garbage is still going on, today. Perhaps, my mum and sister can pop some popcorn, and watch American Idol, together over the summer.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 5:29 am

When I was a child I had a very strong sense that my sister was the golden child and that I was the unwanted changeling, so yeah.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 9:03 am

Gad. :roll:

I don't want to sound unsupportive, but was it needed to do a study to discover (GASP) that people who feel as if they are the less favored kid wind up having issues as they get older?

What's next? Discovering that water is wet?