yes 47%  47%  [ 42 ]
no 33%  33%  [ 29 ]
no, but i intend to join 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 89

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 9:32 am

im in the middle of joining the organ donar register and just wanted some thoughts on it. would you join? have you already? what organs would/wouldnt you donate and why?

its something ive decided i wanted to do since someone close to me almost died and i come across lots of people who were desperately waiting for a donation; and it was so sad. but i guess i put off actually joining because, well i dunno, its abit scary for some reason. maybe the thought of dying or maybe the idea of having parts of you taken out and put into other people- its kindof grim really.
but i could die tomorrow so ive decided to finally bite the bullet.

i dont want to donate my eyes but im confused about whether to donate my heart. i think romantic notions are making me hesitant?

opinions?

LancetChick
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2010, 9:44 am

Donating organs saves lives, and is such a simple thing to do. Yes, I've checked the organ donor box on my drivers license, and would be happy to donate anything I can't use (which is everything in the event of my death).

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 9:56 am

Of course. They don't take organs until you're brain-dead, at which point death is irreversible. Why in the world would I waste perfectly good organs?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 9:58 am

i was scared that they would let me die , in not save me just to get my organs :oops:

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2010, 11:58 am

Yep, I'm a donor. If I don't need 'em then they can crack open my ribs and take 'em lol.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 12:06 pm

There's no point in letting perfectly good organs go to waste. Although I'm not old enough to register yet, they can take whatever they can pry loose.

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

Michael_Stuart wrote:
There's no point in letting perfectly good organs go to waste. Although I'm not old enough to register yet, they can take whatever they can pry loose.

Yep, better to give em to some poor sick SOB who's life depends on it then letting them rot.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 12:27 pm

so im the only one who feels abit squeamish about it then? :oops:

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2010, 12:40 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
so im the only one who feels abit squeamish about it then? :oops:

Well, it's not gonna matter when you're dead is it? lol

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 12:41 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
i was scared that they would let me die , in not save me just to get my organs :oops:

I am afraid of when they discover I have Aspergers and deem me an undesirable who does not really live life why not give my organs to someone with a life and loving family.Then not try so hard to save me if I was on the operating table. I do not enjoy life because things that have happened to me by acts of evilness by NTs why would I want to give them my organs so they can continue living,

I know they have comittees to decide who gets what organs they decide if someone deserves the organs or not. They deney drug abusers, alcoholics, the profundly ret*d, and I am sure criminals. What if they find out you have Aspergers or HFA and decide an autistic person is less valuable than someone who is not on the spectrum if god forbid you ever need a replacement organ.

Last edited by Todesking on 11 Jul 2010, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 12:51 pm

CobaltBlew wrote:

but but....theyre going to take my heart out 8O. and what if there are people who love me alive and it causes more grief for them. although i saw film once where a woman got given the heart of a man's dead wife and it was beautiful. i cant imagine most people having a problem with it?

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2010, 1:08 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
CobaltBlew wrote:

but but....theyre going to take my heart out 8O. and what if there are people who love me alive and it causes more grief for them. although i saw film once where a woman got given the heart of a man's dead wife and it was beautiful. i cant imagine most people having a problem with it?

They'll probably take more then one organ. Instead of decaying it'll continue living. Maybe you can take over their minds after they've done the operations lol.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 1:14 pm

in the uk you can choose which organs you want to donate or not, thats what im having trouble with :?

lol i know you were joking but ive actually heard stories of people taking on new personality traits or starting to like new foods that the donator liked etc after recieving an organ donation. spooky

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2010, 1:18 pm

I seriously doubt that having someone else's organ would give you any of their personality traits. Allergies, maybe.

As far as I am concerned, when I go they should part me out like an old truck. :D

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 7:59 pm

I have been an organ donor since I was 18. There is no issue of "letting anyone die" to harvest organs. The organs are not harvested until brain death has been declared.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2010, 8:04 pm

I am a doner, but while I am listed as an Organ Donor, I primarily have been listed as donating my body to the University of Tennessee (Knoxville) Body Farm which I am applying for graduate school to study at.