Left brain dominant and right brain dominant Aspies.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 5:10 pm

marshall wrote:
Jono wrote:
I'm not sure. But I'm right handed and I think I'm very logical, good at maths and science.

Actually math and science utilize both hemispheres. Actually I'd say most theoretical scientists and mathematicians have a superior right brain intellect. Memorizing formulas, categorizing data, or doing calculations might be left-brained but coming up with new methods or forming your own hypothesis is very right brained. Basically learning science can be a left-brained activity but actually doing science requires right-brained abilities.

Cheers Marshall. I agree and thanks for summing that up. Science is my thing and I was wondering about the brain in relation to process. I can write, well, I hope so as a book is on the burner on at the moment!

I had always considered myself very non-creative. I like patterns, order and lines and boxes. I do not relate well to circles. And I always seek to put things in sequence. I cannot really write creatively but love to add texture and symphony to short descriptive written passages.

After reading a bit about neuroplasticity, I have heard that people with an ASD, are often "hyperplastic". We have too many neurones connected as opposed to too little. Too many processes going on at the same time, hence the feeling that we cannot "filter". Well, I know I can't.

Fascinating topic. Thank you OP.

Mics

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 7:53 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:
I was once told by a teacher than I seem to have a unique way of using both sides of my brain, is this true for most Aspies? .

I think the mainstream theory is the opposite - that people with ASD tend to have a very dominant hemisphere.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 10:41 pm

Kiley wrote:
One of my Aspie sons is left handed which I think means he's left brained, but that might be an oversimplification.

that would mean he's right-brained.

oh, i guess it's not that simple:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateraliza ... d_language

i think of myself as right-brained, but i feel as if i switch back and forth, and the two types of thinking fail to work together, dominating over each other at different times. don't know if that's accurate though. i'm very creative and visual (and very good at understanding metaphor), but also a very logic-based thinker, so maybe i have strengths in both areas. is there right-brained logic?

my aspie nephew is left handed and a talented artist but i don't know if he is truly right-brain dominant. i don't spend enough time with him to know what he is best / worst at. he has very serious concentration and task completion problems.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 11:35 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
I am neither proven nor disproven to be on the spectrum--the only proven diagnosis is ADHD and synesthesia.

However, most right-brain left-brain tests I have taken, I have split down the middle to the point where dominance cannot be determined. Even physically I am split: right-handed and footed, but left-eyed.

Kiley--I think it's right hand/left brain, left hand/right brain...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Almost all right-handers are left hemisphere dominant (99-ish percent) but with left-handers it's about 50/50. I'm somewhat ambidextrous, though (prefer right hand but can use left hand even to write), and I tend to be highly logical and very language oriented, spatial orientation skills suck (a right hemisphere skill) but I can sing and play piano as well as draw fairly well. I've also done some pretty good sculptures...I've had some abbreviated neuropsychological testing about 10-15 years ago and they thought I had "mixed dominance".

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu