Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 7:13 pm

Awhile ago, I experimented with a keto diet, which is really low carbs per day, in the range of <30grams a day. It was a very difficult diet to stick to, but if my memory serves me right, my mood was pretty good during that time, so I was wondering if anyone can corroborate my story.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 9:35 pm

I've used an extremely low carb diet for rapid weight loss and found it very effective, but I don't recall it affecting my mood one way or another. I was kind of depressed at the time and it didn't make me feel any happier - once the weight was off, I was very happy about that, so in a sense, maybe it helped.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 9:57 pm

I know limiting your carbs are supposed to be beneficial to anyone wanting to improve their mood, but I though it might be more so for AS.

I ate nothing but chicken, salmon, tuna, bacon, eggs, cheese, low-carb yogurt and the occasional apple or banana. I had keto sticks to measure the ketones in my system, but I never even got a threshold amount. I guess the fruit pushed me over the edge.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 10:05 pm

takemitsu wrote:
Awhile ago, I experimented with a keto diet, which is really low carbs per day, in the range of <30grams a day. It was a very difficult diet to stick to, but if my memory serves me right, my mood was pretty good during that time, so I was wondering if anyone can corroborate my story.

This is pure speculation but high carbs mean more insulin fluctuations and more blood sugar fluctuation, which can affect your mood, so perhaps you were experiencing less of this on a low carb diet.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 11:48 pm

It is one thing to cut bad carbs (bread, bagels, hamburgers, McDonald's "burritos", etc), but it's another entirely different thing to cut good carbs (vegetables, fruits, etc.).
I'm on a low G.I. diet ("slow" carb if you wanna say), and I feel great (:

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 2:09 pm

Hmm, I've heard of gluten free diet, but I'm not really informed on what it is. Would the diet I mentioned be considered gluten free?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 4:10 pm

afaik gluten free has not been proved, so far it's a hoax

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2010, 5:11 pm

Low carb should technically be bad for mood.

Carbs help you feel very satiated and also help in the production of serotonin in the brain. Tryptophan is turned into serotonin when in the brain, but needs carbs are required for it to happen:

Quote:
Plenty of carbohydrates in your meals helps tryptophan get to where it does the most good: your brain. In order to cross the blood-brain barrier and get in, carbs are required. So cheese and crackers provides a better effect than the cheese standing alone. Cover your ears, animal friends, for I am also about to condone eating the occasional dead bird. Poultry, especially the dark meat, is a rich (yet very cheap) source of tryptophan. Add potatoes or stuffing, and you have the reason everybody is sprawled out and snoring up a storm after a typical Thanksgiving food orgy. But to be able to look your parakeet in the eye after the fourth Thursday in November, you can stay vegetarian and still get tanked up on tryptophan.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Low carb should technically be bad for mood

I don't think that is right for me, I get lethargic from eating too many carbs, which may affect my mental health. I guess I'm just going to have to try the diet again, I'm interested.

Quote:
afaik gluten free has not been proved, so far it's a hoax

That's bad news, I just bought a 6 pack of gluten free beer for $12.99 :thumbdown:

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 9:34 pm

"fast" carbs are bad because you'll feel the crash (lethargic), which won't happen with good carbs (nature)

take back the beer, or did you drank it already? :lol:

BTW I expressed myself wrongly: There have been studies and so far none have proved that gluten-free will do any changes. The doctor author of the only study with positive result has been retired from practice because of the methods he used to get the result.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2010, 6:11 pm

I drank one of them, very nasty, metallic taste, I gave the rest away.

LucyPie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jul 2010, 12:34 am

I've tried low carb and found it made me snappy and very cranky.
When I have too much carbs I get sluggish and tired.
As usual, moderation is key!
I also (usually) stick to a Low GI diet, and have found that not be the best in terms of weight loss and mood :)

Darklinggirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2010, 5:11 pm

I do a lot of weight training and body building, and cycle eating carbs and proteins very carefully.
I eat complex carbs such as rice and pasta for energy to power my workouts, and protein to repair and maintain my muscles.
When i'm trying to cut up, ie shed fat, i reduce the carbs I eat to practically zero. Living on protein, using it for energy and so forth. I'm much weaker, but lose weight, retain less water, and.... my mood sucks. the only thing that is good is that my body looks better, which makes me feel slightly better.
Different things work though for different people though. I started going to the gym because i suffered from depression alongside my AS. Food diaries are often laughed at but really work :)