Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:48 am

I'm sure some of you have heard of this guy named Colton Harris-Moore, also know as the "Barefoot Bandit" who was recently caught in the Bahamas.

As it turns out, there is a Facebook page dedicated to him (more than one actually) with over 80,000 fans together, and some individuals have posted on the walls of these pages expressing regret that he was caught and sentiments that he should be freed or break out of jail.

I think this is horrible. These people completely overlook the fact, or just don't care that he broke into people's homes, violated their rights, and stole from these people. He stole not just airplanes, but also money and cars.

I know a lot of people can't come by a car easily. If their car is stolen they have no way to get to work and could easily lose their job.

This boy could have very well destroyed someone's life and people take his side, and they say people with AS don't have empathy????

What is wrong with them?

I don't understand.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 4:16 am

Very black and white view Chronos but correct of course.
I guess he's never used violence or threats, just property crime which is of a lower order than harming people IMO. People read about such terrible things on a daily basis and are so inured to it that property crime seems almost trivial, esp of wealthy people with insurance (don't know anyone with a plane myself).
He's obviously extremely talented and daring and has very good judgement if not common sense. He also has a sense of humour and is very uncomformist.
In a different place and time he might have been a military genuis or an explorer, adventurer etc.

But its good he was caught.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 4:25 am

All humans are sadistic.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 4:27 am

I smell a movie deal.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2010, 4:29 am

They just view him as another romantic "Zorro" or Robin hood or Che Guevara like figure. It's the same way how we revere and venerate pirates. Even though they are mercenaries who raped and pillaged, and "cut throats". Yet little children dress up as them, they are the subject of Lazy town, and Veggie Tales, and a Disneyland ride, but people forget that they were pedophile barbarians, akin to child sex traffickers-drug gangs, and terrorists.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 4:44 am

sillycat wrote:
They just view him as another romantic "Zorro" or Robin hood or Che Guevara like figure. It's the same way how we revere and venerate pirates. Even though they are mercenaries who raped and pillaged, and "cut throats". Yet little children dress up as them, they are the subject of Lazy town, and Veggie Tales, and a Disneyland ride, but people forget that they were pedophile barbarians, akin to child sex traffickers-drug gangs, and terrorists.

Yup, the modern Somali pirates are much more benevolent and perhaps justified in their actions by comparison to the vicious old skool ones.
But you don't see Captain Feathersword dressing up as a Somali, it wouldn't cut the mustard with the parents.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 7:51 am

Am I the only who hopes the bare foot bandit gets turned into the bare ass bandit in prison? Hope he has the worst time in prison.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 8:12 am

Todesking wrote:
Am I the only who hopes the bare foot bandit gets turned into the bare ass bandit in prison? Hope he has the worst time in prison.

I hope you are the only one foolish and morally blind enough to want that, but I fear that you are among many who believe rape is somehow a tool of justice. :twisted:

The year is still young.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 4:22 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
I fear that you are among many who believe rape is somehow a tool of justice. :twisted:

it can be. i no its not applicable in this situation, but i have no sympathy for convicted rapists who get raped in prison. now they realize the magnitude of their crime.

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2010, 5:10 pm

never heard of it before, but this guy looks like a goddam hero to me. he's burglarizing peoples VACATION HOMES!! !! !! !

Ambivalence wrote:
I hope you are the only one foolish and morally blind enough to want that, but I fear that you are among many who believe rape is somehow a tool of justice. :twisted:

perhaps he and the fans are viewing his action as the tool of justice?

what better way to make your statement of contempt for the materialistic system of classism than to target the grossly rich and make your living directly off them rather than trying to be one of them.

his actions are basically to send this message- what he's doing is far more legitimate than for example the employment of the type of person likely to be an owner of this kind of vacation home. insurance execs and the like.

is it possible that it wrecked someone's livelihood completely? perhaps, but it really doesn't appear likely given his overall actions. he's more ethical than the supposed victims of his crime. his crimes are nothing compared to theirs, viewed from a perspective of contempt for classism and the feeling that the loss of this property is deserved in vengeange.

not that i say i totally share this perspective, but that appears to me to be what's on the mind of any of these fans. i'm not entirely decided yet. you really can't safely generalize the impact on those losing the property or the fairness of their means of acquisition in the first place.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 10:45 pm

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colton_Harris-Moore

Quote:
Colton A. Harris-Moore grew up in his mother's house in Camano Island, Washington.[5] Neighbors said they made several calls to Child Protective Services, believing Colton was neglected or abused.[5] His father Gordon Moore used drugs and was imprisoned while Colton was a toddler.[2] When Colton was about two years old, his abusive father walked out after attempting to choke him during an argument at a family barbecue.[6] According to his mother, Pam Kohler, his stepfather died when he was about seven years old, and from the time Colton was in the first grade, she knew there was "something off about him" – "sort of a disconnection". He wouldn't listen to his teachers, started altercations at school, and would sometimes deliberately break things around the house, Kohler said.[7] According to a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation, Harris-Moore said that his mother drank and became mean, breaking his possessions.[2] He started living in the wild at the age of seven, and would break into vacation homes in the area, stealing blankets, food and water before disappearing into the forest for days.[7] His first conviction for stolen property came at age 12, and by the time he was 13, he had three more. Each conviction brought a 10-day stay in a detention center, or community service. His mother once said, "Every time he had anything any good, everyone thought he stole it. What does that do to a kid?"[8] In 2003, police found a neighbor's camcorder in his home. Never before sentenced to more than a month,[5] he fled a three-year sentence by walking out of a halfway house in April 2008.[9]

That's probably why. It's empathy so they are excusing him because he had a messed up childhood so he stole to survive. I was going to say "because they're stupid, people are nasty creatures" but I did some research and found that.

But yet when people rape a child or kill someone despite having a messed up childhood, people don't excuse them and they want the person to be thrown behind bars and suffer. Ironic isn't it?

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 10:46 pm

:roll:

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 12:03 am

Ambivalence wrote:
Todesking wrote:

The fear of prison rape keeps me from hitting another person, keeps from killing, keeps me from dealing drugs, and keeps me from stealing. People who destroy other peoples lives through their selfish actions or steal property that does not belong to them deserve to be raped in prison it might keep them from comitting another crime. I am very poor right now. I would like an Ipad to use to hold info on my special intrests, it would be very easy for me to just run up to someone smaller than me and take it by force if I see them with one. I am a very big and have very little if not no empathy for people I do not know. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is my fear of going to prison. This guy who probably is an NT (Maybe not due to upbringing/fetal alcohol poisoning?) who should have some empathy does not have that fear I guess. But you know what he will learn it when he finally get sent to prison.

Eon those people worked hard to afford those things you should not punish them by hoping they have their stuff robbed by some punk kid he is no robin hood. My dad worked very hard as a book binder doing back break work in double shifts so he could own 95 acres of wooded land with a trailer on it so he could hunt, fish, and relax when he is down there, Local rednecks break into his trailer about once every five years I bet they have the same attitude when they trash the place.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2010, 2:43 am

No one deserves to be raped in prison. Rape is always wrong.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 3:49 am

eon wrote:
he's more ethical than the supposed victims of his crime. his crimes are nothing compared to theirs, viewed from a perspective of contempt for classism and the feeling that the loss of this property is deserved in vengeange.

You cannot make accurate assumptions of one's moral character, views, or perspectives based on how much money they have.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 3:53 am

Todesking wrote:
I am a very big and have very little if not no empathy for people I do not know. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is my fear of going to prison.

That technically makes you a sociopath...maybe a psychopath if you hair impaired social skills.

There isn't a sociopath/psychopath support page because they generally don't care enough about others with their "condition" to make one.