Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 11:10 am

...so I can never have any godawful maddening little kids.

Seriously, I spent the afternoon with someone's kids, and I came out feeling so cranked up and aggressive, eek. I swear I felt my adrenal glands shooting out some incandescent s**t....that was NOT a normal feeling. You would have thought I had been in a war zone, not dealing with little children.

And I had to stop them torturing a dog multiple times...and did I mention the noise of children crying? I can't stand it.

Yup...I never want to be a mom.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 11:24 am

Me neither although I do love my nieces. I just don't know how my sis does it. I couldn't babysit after having horrible meltdowns with just those 2 kids.

Speaking of ovaries, my sister who's pregnancies were both unplanned had her tubes tied up so that wouldn't happen again.

Ixchel
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jul 2010, 12:35 pm

Trust me; it's different when it's your own kid (or at least, it's supposed to be if the hormones are working properly). Although I babysat extensively as a teenager, I sometimes had to restrain myself from strangling the little monsters! But after I had my own, I found myself cooing and babbling at my baby (that's the magic of oxytocin). It becomes habit - I can tolerate other people's kids MUCH better since having my own. And my kid has become a young adult, unstrangled.

Kids who torture critters should be (mentally) tortured themselves, if they are old enough to understand that they are being cruel. If they aren't old enough, keep the critters safe and out of sight of the tyke.

As for crying, I found that pretending to take great glee in watching a tantrum can shut it off. They sulk, but hey, they aren't screaming anymore! I didn't even have to do it with my own kid - a friend did the pointing and laughing. He was furious but, from then on, he only cried when he was actually hurt. For the crying from minor injuries, a kiss and a band-aid work wonders. For a middle sized injury, a candy works well, if only to get the little mouth doing something other than producing noise. For major injuries, call a parent and take the kid to the ER!

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 2:16 pm

sorry, that's not gonna work. Those things are pretty tough :)

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:57 pm

Yikes! I couldn't deal with that either...hmmm...

I will say that my son was never a whinny kid, crying, etc...except for a few weeks when he was tiny and we realized the milk was making him fussy...after that, no more problems with him...he was always a very happy little boy...Yes, as he got a bit older he wouldn't stay still, but it wasn't like he was a "bad" kid, mean kid, cruel to animals or anything...just tiring to chase after him, etc...

I never imagined I would have a child...I was told I couldn't and I didn't care as I really didn't want to anyway...but he's a joy...he truly is...I have learned so much more from him...

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 11:18 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
...so I can never have any godawful maddening little kids.

Seriously, I spent the afternoon with someone's kids, and I came out feeling so cranked up and aggressive, eek. I swear I felt my adrenal glands shooting out some incandescent sh**....that was NOT a normal feeling. You would have thought I had been in a war zone, not dealing with little children.

And I had to stop them torturing a dog multiple times...and did I mention the noise of children crying? I can't stand it.

Yup...I never want to be a mom.

My mum had a daycare as I was growing up... 49 kids throughout 18 years. About two years in and I no longer wanted or felt the need to have children, had it all out of my system through others kids. I agree that it is different when it's your own, in meaning that you can raise them the way you want them to be. If you let them go running around doing what they want without structure, without consistency they will turn into little monsters. I remember the parents would sneak in the door to try and catch the kids acting up, but it never happened. The most we ever had was seven at a time, but they were always really good at our house (though we had reports that they acted up at home, go figure). We only had three that were literally born bad. :wink:

Kaizer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2010, 9:22 am

I feel your pain i cant stand children either though for some reason that confuses people lol all i can say to them is your child makes my sensitive brain go explodie and gives me the homicidal tendencies of a first class murderer keep your child over there and have a nice day :D

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 12:29 am

erm, I know how you feel, but there is a easier way that is also less painful. Though I hope you can figure it out yourself.