Commissioning into the Military with a learning disabilty

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TheMatador
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2010, 11:03 pm

I've always wanted to serve in the military since I was a small child.

So, while I was over at the university I will be going to in the fall today, I stopped by the AROTC battalion office to find out more in terms of about what I should take military science wise for this coming semester should I enroll in AROTC. However, when we got around to the topic of being certified medically and overall competent to participate in AROTC and obtain a commission in the Army I told the officer I was speaking to that I had a learning disabilty in mathematics. She said that, that would most likely prevent me from seeking a commission in the Army.

I was wondering if this would or not? Since in regards to the mental, and medical standards for service, a policy on learning disabilities in the realm of math really isn't stated. Especially, since it mainly effects me academically, as I really don't have issues with day to day things involving math.

I also ask since I know of other people in the armed forces who hare the same or similar learning disabilty as me who were able to commission or enlist just fine.

Also, would Asperger's harm me in terms of seeking a commission because it is mentioned in a diagnosis form which would be illegal for me not to disclose. It says my social skills suck, but my leadership management, and other skills looked for in an officer are excellent.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm

I imagine that you would like to be heroic and be a respected officer in the military, but there is a big but.

Your AS could cause you to foul up in the future if you did become an officer. I would be very nervous of telling a lie when you attempt to join the military about your state of health. If you have a formal DX I would be honest with them. Maybe the best thing for both you and the army would be for you to politely and quietly tell the recruitment man, ask them what the army policy is.

Bear in mind that the military is an open ended commitement, it is not like other jobs. If I got sick of my job next week I could just tell my boss "I quit" and leave. But in the army you can not do that, if you are in a war zone and you bunk off then it is AWOL or worse you will be charged with when you are finally found again. In peacetime you can also get into trouble for going AWOL.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

TheMatador
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2010, 8:11 pm

Any opinions from those serving or those who have served.

hitokage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2010, 3:05 am

Please see my post here.

TheMatador
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2010, 7:23 pm

hitokage wrote:
Please see my post here.

I did,

Asperger's and any other issues provided the conditions aren't serious can be waived.