Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2010, 4:54 pm

New here. Just curious.....

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jul 2010, 10:45 am

I'm not a powerlifter, but I am a bodybuilder... (bad back, so no powerlifting).

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider on 15 Jul 2010, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thumper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2010, 11:16 am

kx250rider wrote:
I'm not a powerlifter, but I am a bodybuilder... (bad back, so now powerlifting).

That is interesting. I would think the opposite given the much higher weights/lower reps & demands on the PC as a result.

If I may ask, what is your total? I've only been doing this since February & just broke 1200 (1210).

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Jul 2010, 11:26 am

I've never figured it... I see I made a typo error in the post; I meant to say "... so no powerlifting"; but I typed "... so now powerlifting"

My 1RM on the flat bench was 310 last time I checked, and I don't do deadlifts or freestanding squats. I work out with 285 (6-10 sets at 10 reps on first set, fail on rep 3 or 4 by last set). I have a 45 degree hack squat slide, that keeps my back safer. Basically, I aim for 10 reps on the first few sets of most lifts, and usually a minimum of 6 sets. Weight varies on each exercise, depending on how quickly I fail on the 4th or 5th set.

Charles

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2010, 8:36 pm

Ive gotten quite seriously into strength training since about a year ago. Was nursing several injuries/ailments when started so didnt have the best foundation, but hoping ot be competitive within a year from now.

I will hopefully be at the British National Senior Comp this sunday, not lifting, just helping load plates/spotting.

AspieJ
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2010, 5:39 pm

I'm not a powelifter, I train/lift for bodybuilding. I started lifting again this feb after almost 5 yrs off. I forgot how much I love it. bbing has always been an obsession of mine which I was ashamed to admit since it's so out of my character.

AspieJ
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2010, 5:40 pm

I'm not a powelifter, I train/lift for bodybuilding. I started lifting again this feb after almost 5 yrs off. I forgot how much I love it. bbing has always been an obsession of mine which I was ashamed to admit since it's so out of my character.

JLee50
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2010, 12:41 am

Neither powerlifting nor bodybuilding...just train for strength. I started four weeks ago and it's going really well so far. :)

Thumper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2010, 8:21 am

Nice to see some other "ironheads" in here!

Question - how do you balance (bad joke) such an intense focus without other aspects of your life suffering as a result?

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood

JLee50
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2010, 11:01 am

Thumper wrote:

Question - how do you balance (bad joke) such an intense focus without other aspects of your life suffering as a result?

1hr workout 3x/week...not too hard to make time.

Antares
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2010, 3:48 pm

I was a powerlifter; I'm on hiatus just now - I had an injury and also just can't get to the gym right now. I never competed, but I was planning to till things got in the way.

And yes, I did find it hard to balance, it took over my life a bit; I think that was part of the reason I got injured, overtraining. I'd like to go back when I have access to a decent gym again, but i'd also like to aim for better balance.

AspieJ
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2010, 4:06 pm

i've had great difficulty balancing bbing. i'm getting better at it. i limit my workouts to 4 days p/week and limit my reading to an hour or 2 a week. i still schedule my life around my workouts. i'm working with my therapist to keep my life balance as i have other responsibilites and things that need to get done as all i want to focus on bbing, reading about proper training, nutrition. i can easily spend (and used to) all day reading, and researching.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2010, 10:19 am

Thumper wrote:

I make it a big priority, which sometimes isn't the best choice. But it's very important to me, and if I can't work out for whatever reason, I get in a less-than-great mood, and I start feeling guilty. 99.9% of the time, I'm able to keep on track. My wife is very supportive, and knows how important my routine is.

Charles

Thumper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2010, 8:34 pm

AspieJ wrote:
i've had great difficulty balancing bbing. i'm getting better at it. i limit my workouts to 4 days p/week and limit my reading to an hour or 2 a week. i still schedule my life around my workouts. i'm working with my therapist to keep my life balance as i have other responsibilites and things that need to get done as all i want to focus on bbing, reading about proper training, nutrition. i can easily spend (and used to) all day reading, and researching.

This.......

I am trying very hard to pull back & keep everything in balance. Its like a 3 legged stool. When one leg gets "longer" (more attention) than the others the stool is out of balance. One needs to keep all aspects of life in as equal as possible to keep the stool from tipping/falling over.

One thing I have learned (the hard way) is, at least for me, to make sure to stay on schedule. Missed days, especially when running a certain program ( I am in my 5th cycle of 5/3/1 & LOVE it) really come back to bite me hard.