Current Popular Music and Love

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 7:25 pm

I was sitting here thinking about how I've not been keeping up with popular music for about the last 10-20 years. I pick up intrest in a few newer bands from my younger sibling but, for the most part I'm still stuck in the 80s. I don't know anything about Lady Gaga, Justine Beiber or, Jonas Brothers. How important do you think shared music intrest or current music intrest is to relationships?

bewarethebob
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 7:58 pm

dont trip.
do what you like, not whats popular.
for instance...Im a SKA kid for the most part....

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 9:37 pm

current music interest? not really important as long as you both like the same kind of music, or if you're both open to new music.

My ex and I, we're not really open to new music (like if you've never listened to Country and they're a big fan), so we didn't get along as we didn't like the same kind of music. My current girlfriend and I aren't open to music that much, but we like the same kind of music :)

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 9:38 pm

current music interest? not really important as long as you both like the same kind of music, or if you're both open to new music.

My ex and I, we're not really open to new music (like if you've never listened to Country and they're a big fan), so we didn't get along as we didn't like the same kind of music. My current girlfriend and I aren't open to music that much, but we like the same kind of music :)

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 10:15 am

I don't think I've ever been interested in "current" music. I grew up on the internet, with the freedom to obtain any music I wished at any time. My musical tastes have gone their own way.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 10:59 am

I'm stuck in the 90's, but I have all tastes almost.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 11:04 am

jdcnosse wrote:

I would have a hard time dating someone who was a country music buff. I've always seen country music only appropriate for weddings (and yes, that's a blatant stereotype).

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 11:37 am

I could never be into someone who had crappy taste in music. I listen to a lot of crap personally, but I KNOW it's crap. I listen to good stuff too. I meet far too many people who don't even know who Fleetwood Mac is 8O

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 11:57 am

Kiseki wrote:
I could never be into someone who had crappy taste in music. I listen to a lot of crap personally, but I KNOW it's crap. I listen to good stuff too. I meet far too many people who don't even know who Fleetwood Mac is 8O

I'd flip out if someone didn't know who Fleetwood Mac is.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
Kiseki wrote:

That's my basic reaction.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 1:12 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
Kiseki wrote:

Peter Green or Stevie Nicks eras? :P

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 10:32 pm

KaiG wrote:
Northeastern292 wrote:
Kiseki wrote:

Peter Green or Stevie Nicks eras? :P

I'd be more willing to accept if they AT LEAST knew the Buckingham Nicks era FMac.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Jul 2010, 12:03 am

I LOVE pop & comedy music but I like a wide variety of music so I do not think similar taste in music is that important. In a way if she likes a type of music I don't really listen to; it could be a good thing because I mite start liking it. Similar taste in music can be very nice cuz you can share that interest with each other but unless one of you works or is somehow involved in the music industry; I do not think liking similar music is required. People can use head-phones/ear-buds & compromise like one person controls the music on the way to a place & the other puts on theirs on the way back or you put on something you both sorta like

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 5:11 am

It's not so much listening to different types of music that bothers me. It's the fact that I don't watch TV or listen to popular music on the radio. It makes me feel un-hip. I go into the grocery store line and I don't even recognize half the people on the tabliod covers anymore.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 5:21 am

Rakshasa72 wrote:
It's not so much listening to different types of music that bothers me. It's the fact that I don't watch TV or listen to popular music on the radio. It makes me feel un-hip. I go into the grocery store line and I don't even recognize half the people on the tabliod covers anymore.

You're 36, you're supposed to be unhip. :wink:

I think it was a wonderful moment for me when I realised that I didn't have to care about any of that bollocks anymore, and started investing more of my time in real things that matter.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 9:14 am

Moog wrote:
Rakshasa72 wrote:

You're 36, you're supposed to be unhip. :wink:

I think it was a wonderful moment for me when I realised that I didn't have to care about any of that bollocks anymore, and started investing more of my time in real things that matter.

I think I had that particular epiphany at age 6.