Not letting HFA/Asperger's define you, we will define it!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lancebergy
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2010, 9:15 pm

Well I have been inspired by reading information about Asperger's, being diagnosed with it by my psychiatrists, and knowing my mind and body, I have decided to write a book about Asperger's and the people with. Problem is I am the only one I personally know that has it.

First reason is so people in my life can understand what I go through day to day.

Second I have the will and ambition not to let Asperger's take over my life, and define who I am. I want to define what Asperger's is.

Third I want people to hear our stories so maybe they will be more understanding that we do need special needs in work, social, and recreational situations. Asperger's is still Autism, but we can fight it with knowledge.

I would love to hear your stories such as:

Your sensory problems
Social interaction
Thought process (including depression, excitement, ect.)
Family history
Hobbies
Other intersts

I WANT THIS PROJECT TO BE FOR ALL OF US NOT JUST ME ! !!

I will publish this book and 100% of the profits will go towards research for treatment for Autism, Asperger's, PDD, and many other Developemental Disabilities.

Thanks for taking a moment to read this.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2010, 9:39 pm

Quote:
Second I have the will and ambition not to let Asperger's take over my life, and define who I am. I want to define what Asperger's is.

I wish you well.

From my observations on these forums, the people who are happiest are the ones who learn to live with the limitations of the disorder.

Some try to "not let it define them" and and up miserable from trying too hard.

I'm not telling you to give up, we all need to better ourselves. Just try to keep what I wrote in mind if things don't work out as planned.

ratsie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2010, 11:19 pm

well this is as good a place to jump in as any ,,,Im wondering about what other peoples habits are ,and to poke that along ill start

Im 45,,,male

, have a terrible work record.mostly due to depression,.

have always lived in less than deacent housing ,basments with rats. trailers in yards,the best was my van ,,,

,I am not maintance friendly,the car the trailer ,my personal space,my person are all overdue for atention

,i cant do math,in my head loose tract of zeros and decimal points cant multiply..but love a few math formulas like calculating tank volume which I can do with a calculator or paper

im sensitive to noise and flashing lights, cant watch tv,and being trapped with one or a crying baby will make me insane culminating tn what can only be described as a meltdown after which i can only cry and mumble for hours my little sisters tell their kids "uncle rusty needs a timeout "

i just dont get people ,,,watch them endlessly and just dont understand ,have no close friends and few acquaintances,,trying to be on facebook makes me lonely and depressed , im closer to my tracfone than my family,have only been in a few relationships but the last one stuck ,wonderfull girl ,been a rocky road but were still at it twenty years later

sharpen knives as a meditation have a weird relationship with blades as a symbol of purity

because of broken cars and bad housing am. fascinated by ox carts, shepherds wagons and gypsy wagons, can read about them for hours ,lately its been shelter on a cart ,discovering ,,edar was a light from god moment

have been told im a genius all my life also that i have an odd way with language

the only job ive ever had more than three months was driving cab,,, can make a car dance and sing and the industry is tolerant of bad grooming and social skills ,,,although ive been the custodian at a church for a year now and thats still working ,,, a first

have hormone deficiency.. had past trouble with gender issues

get really upset when criticized and cant do frustration

if i dont finish a project in one day it will probably end up in the trash before it gets finished

did terrible in school ,,, if it weren't for spell check i wouldn't even try this because you couldn't read it

ok so if any of this strikes a cord please let me know my name is russ by the way

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 12:01 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 7:17 am

Welcome!

ksuther09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2010, 11:23 pm

I don't know if your specifically want the perspective of people with Asperger's Syndrome or if you want the perspective of people with PPD-NOS (atypical autism) as well.

At any rate, here are some answers to your questions:

sensory problems: When I was little, sensitivity to sound was HUGE and I would get very frightened and overwhelmed by sirens, revving motors, popping balloons, the vacuum cleaner. Currently as an adult, I still have sensitivity to sudden loud noises, but they don't debilitate me like they used to. My extreme sensitivity to sound was also partially because I came out of being in an orphanage for 2 years and had sensory deprivation on top of an already atypical neural profile.

Social interaction: I can learn about and observe social interaction having majored in Human Development and Family Studies, but I have difficulty understanding people's motives, knowing when to ask for something, when to speak-up or not, and follow a train of conversation. I'm getting better, but I have always had to be explicitly taught the rules of social interaction; I didn't really pick them up myself.

Thought process (including depression, excitement, ect.): History of depression and attachment issues due to being raised in an orphanage my first 2 years of life and having some emotional trauma around my adoption for much of middle-childhood.

Family history: Adopted by a single mother and raised as an only child with close contact with extended family

Hobbies: Writing, reading, walking/jogging, drawing, knitting

Other intersts (do you mean fixations??): I've mainly fixated around amassing facts on people and places because of the need to escape my world. I also have been fixated on houses before (drawing houses, though not as well as maybe some people) because my mother never got the house she wanted due to my early medical expenses. My short-term highly intense fixations change, but long-term fixations have included medicine (as my mother is a now retired nurse), and in college, it was parent-child attachment and child development. These long-term fixations, I think arose because I longed to answer the questions about my life that puzzled my mother and caused the doctors to write me off as a hopeless case.

Ok wow, that's a lot of info, but I do hope it helps your book. If you want more information, I am able to accept messages.