Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 4:47 pm

Cascadians wrote:
Ppl are gonna ask you incessantly "What type of service?"

They aren't supposed to, and it's a bit rude and intrusive, but they are morbidly curious ...

Autism is an epidemic and autism dogs are getting more publicity so it's nothing too novel and usually after one answers "autism" they quit asking questions, although some actually ask what exactly the dog does for you. I'm tempted to make up something so graphic and gross that they realize how embarrassing those questions are.

lol like what?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 5:28 pm

Seanmw wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
I'm looking into having a vest made for my bearded dragon but I wonder if "Autism service animal" would draw negetive attention to me whereas if her vest just said, "Service Animal".
bearded dragon? are you serious?
I mean they're cool and all, my neighbor used to have a few.
But a bit on the small side, and i've never heard of reptiles being capable of being trained as any kind of efficient service animal :?

Predicting seziures, meltdowns and panic attacks can't be trained anyway. It's something the animal just knows how to do on its own. Pippin seems to be learning how to predict meltdowns and panic attacks.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 11:26 pm

Wait a minute, no, autism is NOT an epidemic. I know people are saying that it is; but what we're seeing isn't new cases--it's new diagnosis. We're only just learning what autism is, the diagnosis has been broadened, and more people know about it. Of course there'll be new diagnosis.

(We know it isn't new cases because adults are autistic at the same rate as kids. If it had been an increasing rate, then there would be a lower percentage of 40-year-olds who are/were autistic at 4 years old, than there are 4 year olds who are four and autistic right now; but the percentages are the same--you do have to remember to check institutions for correct diagnosis, though, because a lot of people from that generation were diagnosed mentally ret*d, schizophrenic, or something else, rather than autistic. And you have to get the eccentrics who no longer need a diagnosis but should've gotten one as kids. But the data that's come in says that in general the rates have remained the same.)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 11:48 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
I'm looking into having a vest made for my bearded dragon but I wonder if "Autism service animal" would draw negetive attention to me whereas if her vest just said, "Service Animal".
But a bit on the small side, and i've never heard of reptiles being capable of being trained as any kind of efficient service animal :?

Predicting seziures, meltdowns and panic attacks can't be trained anyway. It's something the animal just knows how to do on its own. Pippin seems to be learning how to predict meltdowns and panic attacks.
if your bearded dragon can predict meltdowns and panic attacks, i must say that's pretty impressive.
Curious though, what does he do about them :? ?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 9:21 am

Seanmw wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

if your bearded dragon can predict meltdowns and panic attacks, i must say that's pretty impressive.

She starts to pace back and fourth. I thought perhaps she was just had deficate or smelled the food but it's not like Subway has anything she'd actually want. The last time she paced like that the lighting was flickering and I wondered if I could be having a seziure because I started getting stumbly. Whenever she's done that pacing behavior, I amlost ALWAYS get stumbly. I don't know if I could have her regestered as a seziure alert lizard because my "seziures" are so mild no one but I can notice them and so far I've only gotten stumbly and "air headed". Whatever they are, I think Pippin is letting me know when one is coming. I've never had a panic attack when I've had her to hold and whenever I do have one all I have to do is get her out of the cage and cuddle and stroke her and the panic attack subsides.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 11:26 am

PunkyKat wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

She starts to pace back and fourth. I thought perhaps she was just had deficate or smelled the food but it's not like Subway has anything she'd actually want. The last time she paced like that the lighting was flickering and I wondered if I could be having a seziure because I started getting stumbly. Whenever she's done that pacing behavior, I amlost ALWAYS get stumbly. I don't know if I could have her regestered as a seziure alert lizard because my "seziures" are so mild no one but I can notice them and so far I've only gotten stumbly and "air headed". Whatever they are, I think Pippin is letting me know when one is coming. I've never had a panic attack when I've had her to hold and whenever I do have one all I have to do is get her out of the cage and cuddle and stroke her and the panic attack subsides.
oh wow cool :)

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 3:46 pm

it is amazing what some animals are able to do.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 4:03 pm

ASdogGeek wrote:
I don't know what my eye sight is but it isn't good but isn't terrible either. doe that make you legaly blind? I knew someone who was legaly blind once

You are only considered legally blind if your vision cannot be corrected to better than 20/200 with glasses/contact lenses, etc. (or you have a very limited visual field). People who are legally blind don't just have regular myopia, they usually have some kind of eye disease or other serious vision problem.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:45 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
ASdogGeek wrote:
I don't know what my eye sight is but it isn't good but isn't terrible either. doe that make you legaly blind? I knew someone who was legaly blind once

You are only considered legally blind if your vision cannot be corrected to better than 20/200 with glasses/contact lenses, etc. (or you have a very limited visual field). People who are legally blind don't just have regular myopia, they usually have some kind of eye disease or other serious vision problem.

oh wow thanks :) I didn't know that.

Oscarellie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2010, 8:33 pm

I think animals are great. My cat is usually really horrible, because my HFA sister did things like put him in the fridge and in bins and bags when he was younger (and still trys), but still always managed to calm me when I was upset/panick attacky- he would purr lots rather than try attack like he usually did- they somehow know that something is up. I also had this great idea one time, that I should get a pet mouse and put a harness on it and then I would be able to take it everywhere, as I couldn't afford a dog or cat, and mice don't live for too long. I also thought this would be very nifty as it wouldn't take up too much room, or be noticeable, but would still be reassuring.

Last edited by Oscarellie on 29 Jul 2010, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anthonylee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2010, 9:11 pm

I have never heard of this before, but it sounds like a good idea if it is helpful! I know animals have diferent perceptions compared to Humans and if properly trained can help people who have various issues in thier lives that are difficult and potentially dangerous.
I don't think I need a service pet/animal, but many animals do have a calming effect on me! Animals are honest and will not lie to you like many people will!!

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 11:16 pm

anthonylee wrote:
I have never heard of this before, but it sounds like a good idea if it is helpful! I know animals have diferent perceptions compared to Humans and if properly trained can help people who have various issues in thier lives that are difficult and potentially dangerous.
I don't think I need a service pet/animal, but many animals do have a calming effect on me! Animals are honest and will not lie to you like many people will!!

agreed! I actualy made a brochure about them too.