Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2010, 4:56 am

Do you find you need help day to day to cope / manage your life

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 5:57 am

I do but not particularly effectively. I'm not tidy and I don't eat regular meals. Before I was medicated for inattentive ADD I would often lose bills and sometimes have the electricity cut off because I would forget to pay. Out of sight out of mind is a very real thing for me.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 6:00 am

I've been living in supported accommodation for a year now due to my mental health problems. I don't think I would survive for long alone because when I'm alone for a whole day, I give in to the voices and paranoia.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Jul 2010, 6:05 am

"Out of sight, out of mind" is exactly the problem for me.
I have to hang up all my clothes, because if I can't see them, I don't know I have them.
Same with shoes: need hanging shoe rack.
Food: that's what staring in fridge is for. And if it's in crisper, I'll never know it's there.
I've got dozens of icons on my screen ... otherwise I won't know etc.
I do manage to remember that there are things I must do at 6 & 12 a.m. & p.m. - and I have to figure out what they are. (feed dog and take my meds, maybe feed me too).
I have lots of trouble with money but my bills get paid because I have a written budget and I do what it says. Unfortunately, it does not say "stop using credit card."

How to Land an Office Job

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 6:11 am

I'm a very independent person, and I get everything done, that needs to be done. Cooking, cleaning, laundry and bills. There are days, that I need to be away from my clubhouse, to get everything done, but it's worth it. After all, I don't want to have any silverfish flapping around.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 8:10 am

Yupp, but i live as i want to - I eat when i want, i sleep when i want.

The key words here are "When i want".

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 8:35 am

I really do not know.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 8:41 am

I don't know if I'll be able to be completely independent. My depression cripples me pretty bad. Just getting up and moving in the morning is so HARD its unbelievable. Right now if I had to have a job where I'm always on time I'd probably quit within a week or two. Then constantly comparing myself to others who obviously have a MUCH easier time and probably think I'm just "weak" or "lazy" makes me feel extremely bitter.

eagletalon86
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2010, 8:54 am

You pay utilities + rent, keep yourself and the place clean, feed yourself and any family you have....there's nothing hard about it to me. I can do it if worse rolls around, but saving all this money living at home...

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 8:56 am

No.

I'm institute material without my mother.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2010, 9:17 am

I don't know, as I haven't lived on my own yet. I'd prefer not to though, as i don't think I'd like being completely alone.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 9:17 am

Yes, as far as the important practical things go. Worst I'm in danger of is to get a summons for unpaid bills, and it hasn't happened yet, though it's come close. Not that the money isn't there, it's just remembering to give it to them, and even that isn't all that hard these days. I've always had a job, and the regular salary is probably very important.......it's possible that I'd have had to quit if my DX hadn't got the management off my back though, and I doubt if there are many other jobs I could do without a lot of stress and depression........I really don't know what I'd do if I had to find a new job, they all look so horrible to me. But just living in my home is easy-peasy. I can't cook a main meal because of the multi-tasking thing, but I can live fine without main meals.

Emotionally it's another matter entirely. I'm only content with my own company if I feel I have friends to hand, so if I don't get enough meaningful social interaction, I can get very unhappy and then I can't be bothered doing anything. And although I have a lot of trouble living with people, it seems I'll not rest till I'm doing that again.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 9:59 am

fleeced wrote:
Do you find you need help day to day to cope / manage your life

Not day to day, as in feeding, bathing and dressing myself - my problem has always been functioning socially well enough to maintain gainful employment. I can pay the bills on time, if I can keep a job. But I can't keep a job... :oops:

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 11:24 am

Aimless wrote:
I do but not particularly effectively. I'm not tidy and I don't eat regular meals. Before I was medicated for inattentive ADD I would often lose bills and sometimes have the electricity cut off because I would forget to pay. Out of sight out of mind is a very real thing for me.
I Live alone and am like this. But, even if it is plain sight, sometimes I miss it. I hire maid service.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 11:57 am

Yes, I do need help. I wouldn't make it on my own. My bills wouldn't get paid, I would likely end up losing my job (I assume I would have one if I was living alone) and I would probably hole myself up and never talk to anyone.

I forget to eat a lot, too. If it wasn't for my kids and my husband I would forget to eat for days on end.

alone
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2010, 3:13 pm

I am on my own but I've made some awful decisions. Things seem like a logical idea but they are not. Emotionally I feel like a 15 year old. I still get excited when I jump in my car and get to drive it. I think, wow I get to drive. I also think to myself all the time, why has someone left me here all alone?

:(