Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

fleeced
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2010, 5:01 am

I don't have friends at the moment but when I did I went out for ar drink with one. Her handbag was stolen and she cried and cried ... I didn't understand ... looking back I can see some people might find reason to cry but I wouldn't and rarely do.

I suppose its connected with the way I can't understand peoples very emotional reactions at sports events.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 5:09 am

That reminds me of driving by a woman who was getting a jump once. She was bawling like a baby. Nobody likes a dead battery but Jeez, at least someone stopped to help her.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Jul 2010, 6:08 am

I've never understood why people sob when they say goodbye.
Especially at work, when you're going to see the person for lunch anyway.

How to Land an Office Job

skybluepink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2010, 7:59 am

I agree. Half the time other people's emotional reactions seem fake and overblown to me. I used to accuse them of appealing for sympathy. I haven't cried for 24 years and that was a physical reaction to extreme fear. It didn't get me any sympathy though so obviously I was doing it wrong.

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2010, 8:13 am

Your post reminded me of an article I read last month.

Linkage: Entertaining Emotions

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 8:32 am

Yes, especially this one girl I call "drama queen" in science class!

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 10:39 am

In the case of the handbag, there may have been some personal significance in the bag itself (perhaps her bf bought it for her), or in some of the belongings in it (family photos etc.)

It may have been the thought of having to replace all the bank cards and the risk of money being stolen and having to replace her phone if that was in it too (all those numbers... plus old texts, photos and everything else in it)

It may also be the shock of realising that some malicious person has taken your belongings. It's not a nice thought and nobody likes being picked on and made into a victim. No matter how random it was, it would still feel like a personal attack at the time.

That's only if your bag contains the basics (wallet and phone). If she had all her makeup, ipod, kitchen sink in there too, then that's going to be a very expensive and time consuming pain to replace.

Sometimes I find people overly dramatic, but I can understand completely why your friend was devastated by her bag being stolen. I don't carry much in mine, but I would be very upset if it was stolen on me. Also, if my friends were less than sympathetic, that would probably make me feel worse (not a dig at you, just saying).

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 11:45 am

i might be upset if i lost my bag too
but i still dislike people being over-dramatic

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Jul 2010, 11:51 am

Why do we carry everything in a bag, anyway? I've always thought it was a case of "Calling all crooks! Here's all my stuff & money! Easy to grab!"

I bought a money belt twenty years ago and at least my money and cards are in there. I wear it whenever I go out, just like you grab your purse, I grab my money belt.

How to Land an Office Job

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:22 pm

Claradoon wrote:
Why do we carry everything in a bag, anyway? I've always thought it was a case of "Calling all crooks! Here's all my stuff & money! Easy to grab!"

I bought a money belt twenty years ago and at least my money and cards are in there. I wear it whenever I go out, just like you grab your purse, I grab my money belt.

my nan has one of those:). i keep my phone/big monies/travelcard in my pockets if i can

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 2:08 pm

I would be upset if my bag was taken. If I had my purse in it, my cards, my bus pass, my ID, my Nintendo DS and games, I would be very upset.

I do think some people are drama queens.