Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 6:52 am

Here's an example of what the topic title is referring to: I'm in an orchestra. I know what the president/one of the violinists thinks of the oboist's playing. I know what the oboist thinks of the president's attempts to help with his playing. I know what the double bass player thinks of the conductor and the concertmaster. I know what the percussionist thinks about the timpanist and the keyboard player.
In summary: I know all of the internal politics of the orchestra, because pretty much everyone talks to me honestly about what's on their mind.

This happens all the time. It's not just people I know: complete strangers will come up to me and tell me their life story.

I'm trying to figure out why this is. With things like the orchestra, I think that people notice how detached I am from all the gossip and similar social nonsense, so they think I'm "safe" to talk to. They know that I don't care enough to go and repeat what they say to all and sundry.
However, with strangers, I don't know what it is.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 7:45 am

That's an interesting conundrum you find yourself in.

Maybe they talk to you because you seem to be reasonable. Not a common characteristic in an orchestra? If you appear level-headed, then you're attractive to others as one who will listen and not make derogatory comments BACK to them.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 9:29 am

If you were evil, you could use this particular trait for some Machiavellian scheming, Iago-style.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 10:34 am

This happens to me, too. I'm not sure why though. I never go tell everyone else the things people confide in me, though, so maybe that's part of it. And often people seem to assume that I'll take their side in a situation when I usually don't care one way or another. :shrug:

AMDeering
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jul 2010, 10:31 am

LOL This happens to me, too. It's so annoying! I have no idea why it is. I guess I just look friendly.

I was in the toilet paper aisle the other day at Dollar General and some old lady came up and started telling me about her favourite toilet paper brands and her poop habits! TMI!! !!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2010, 10:35 pm

I have this "problem" also. Especially at work. I could bring down the entire company of 200+ from the information I aquired, if I wanted to. I believe this happens because I don't talk to anyone else about everyone else. It's very odd to know about everybody.

SaNcheNuSS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 4:27 am

It's because Aspers are angels on earth and the NT's know this subconsciously, so they confide in you.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 10:31 pm

Everytime I go to Toronto I have the crazy homeless people try to talk to me its like my brain is a magnet that pulls them in. I also have crazy people in the mall come up to me to talk to me. I had a guy who followed me around telling me not to be a slave to the micropchip. A mall security guard saw this guy following my brother and I around and the two of us trying to avoid him so he shued him away.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 4:41 am

Quote:
Everytime I go to Toronto I have the crazy homeless people try to talk to me

They did that to me too when I went there. Especially around that china town area.

Being a londoner my first instinct was that they were trying to A) Rape me B) Mug me C) Both

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 11:22 pm

Laz wrote:
Quote:

They did that to me too when I went there. Especially around that china town area.

Being a londoner my first instinct was that they were trying to A) Rape me B) Mug me C) Both

The creepy thing is one of them knew my name I had never seen him before and that was the first time I went down that street. 8O

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2010, 8:19 pm

I get this too. I've come to the conclusion the I'm wearing an invisible sign that says "Come one, come all, tell me your life story and other useless details!" on me. 8O

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2010, 8:47 pm

There is another thread like this I posted in.. I was glad to see I was not the only person that this oddity happens to.

KaiG wrote:
If you were evil, you could use this particular trait for some Machiavellian scheming, Iago-style.

lol.. I have a copy of The Prince, that I have only been read while on the buses here or when waiting somewhere. I thought it
was helping to keep some away, until someone asked me where I got my copy of the little prince because they had never seen that cover before.
Now I think it is that most people see someone reading, they don't bother them.

Laz wrote:
Quote:

Its not just Toronto, stuff like this has happened to me all over Canada. If it was just the 'crazy homeless' looking ones doing it
I would probably not find it as odd. But considering that a good chunk look.. 'well dressed normal' it is odd.